PDA

View Full Version : Botox and breastfeeding?

bostonsmama
06-05-2012, 10:22 AM
So...visiting a dear family member and we were pointing out our new and not-so-new wrinkles. My DFM said she had an appt w/ her family doctor (she's been seeing/receiving injections from for 7yrs) to get her Botox this week. She said she'd pay to have it done for me....and every time thereafter I came to see her. Wow! But...I'm still BFing my 18 mo-old. Everything I see is inconclusive...and a few say most doctors won't even allow it. Thoughts? Nice enough gift to wean? LOL ;)

katydid1971
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
There is no way that I would botox while breastfeeding. Botox is poison that paralyzes muscles in your face to get rid of wrinkles. I would never risk it getting into breast milk. FWIW I wouldn't wean in order to get botox but I would take it for free now (I haven't BF'd in 2 years).

AJP
06-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Tell her you'll take her up on it when you're done BFing?? Its a generous offer/gift, and id jump on it but would wean as planned regardless. Heck, I'd just take free babysitting to get to my appointments or even shopping! Lol
I do get botox but am not nursing and no way would I do it if I was - or when pg (obviously). I honestly don't think any doctor would give the injections if you were bFing, but you never really know.

MamaMolly
06-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I am so jealous!!! And I agree, I'd wait to wean. It won't be long in the big scheme of things.

DrSally
06-05-2012, 10:13 PM
I have a medical condition where I need botox. I chose to forgo treatment while TTC, preg, and nursing. There are no studies, for obvious reasons. It does stay pretty local, but I just wouldn't be comfortable due to the nature of the med.

cheri
06-06-2012, 01:24 AM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I'd do it. I inject a lot of botox at work (for spasticity, not for cosmetic purposes), and I'd have no problem getting botoxed while bfing. The cosmetic doses are so small (around 25 units), botox doesn't migrate, and the lethal dose (3000 units) is so far above the cosmetic dose that I couldn't see any possible way it could cause a problem. That being said, I'd think twice before injecting a patient with the doses I use (several hundred units) if she was breastfeeding.

elektra
06-06-2012, 02:23 AM
I'd probably just wait. In theory, I don't think there would be a scenario where it would affect breastmilk, but it's just such an easy thing to wait what probably amounts to a few months before getting it done.

DrSally
06-06-2012, 11:51 PM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I'd do it. I inject a lot of botox at work (for spasticity, not for cosmetic purposes), and I'd have no problem getting botoxed while bfing. The cosmetic doses are so small (around 25 units), botox doesn't migrate, and the lethal dose (3000 units) is so far above the cosmetic dose that I couldn't see any possible way it could cause a problem. That being said, I'd think twice before injecting a patient with the doses I use (several hundred units) if she was breastfeeding.

My doc also said he would inject me wile preg., which was nice. But I personaloy chose not to.

bostonsmama
06-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks, y'all. I chose to wait. DFM said we could do it next time, but I only see her once a year. We'll see if she's feeling so generou then. I guess I just couldn't do it with all that I found on the net from BCPSs saying they wouldn't do it.