PDA

View Full Version : Infant waking up once an hour

hehateme
06-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Our DS2 will be 6 months old in 2 week. He slept very well for the first 4 months. He was going to bed at 7:00 pm and waking up at 1:00 am and slept rest of the night.

As soon as he turned 4 months old and began waking up more and more. We made the mistake of giving him a pacifier and he became addicted to it. So we were putting pacifier if it fell off. We had to do this 5-6 times a night. We eventually weaned him off the pacifier.

Then he started rolling over from his back to stomach. He would cry when he got stuck in one corner.

He also got cold a few weeks ago and was waking up every hour.

We have a toddler who is a light sleeper so we cannot let DS2 cry for long.

We recently bought marpac. DS2 sleeps on his stomach or sideways. We have angle care monitor.

Right now he is not sick, he eats well and seems cheerful. He is going to bed at 7:00 pm every night but wakes up every 45 minutes. Sometimes he is stuck in a corner. Sometimes he is lying face down and crying. He have tried to soothe him by rubbing his back but it does not help most of the times.
We have tried letting him cry(5-10 minutes) but the longer we wait the louder he gets.

My wife and I have been splitting responsibilities. One of us gets the first shift and other gets the second shift. We switch every night and sleep in a different room to survive.

Lack of sleep for the past 6 weeks has been hard. Our work is also very stressful and DS1 is very active when he is awake. He does sleep through the night so that helps.

We have no family so there is no help. I know this will eventually get better but I am concerned about my wife as she needs more sleep than I do. I don't want her to fall asleep while driving. In the past I used to volunteer to take care of DS2 3-5 nights a week when he was waking up just once but I cannot take care of him on my own at this time.

I am looking for any suggestion that can even get us 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Thanks

Philly Mom
06-05-2012, 01:15 PM
I had a friend who had that problem. She called CHOP's sleep clinic. They had her change their routine and a few other things, and shortly thereafter, her son started sleeping much better and often through the night. I think he was 6 or 7 months when she called.

Tinochka
06-29-2012, 02:18 AM
Both my kids used pacifiers. I didn’t want to use them first time around, but felt like DS1 was pacifying on me (slow eater).
I used a pacifier holder with both of them and they learned pretty quick to find it and pop it into mouth. I also put all available pacies (4-5) in the crib, just in case if DC will be not able to find his usual one.
Yes, they woke up, but it was during teething, growth spurts, being sick, some mile stones like: learning to roll over and get stuck in the corner of the crib, standing up and not being able to lay down....