PDA

View Full Version : Sedan owners...what do you drive?

lcarlson90
06-05-2012, 11:43 AM
I currently have a 2003 Honda Pilot and while I like it the gas mileage stinks. I only have 2 kiddos and my DH's company car is a minivan so I think it makes sense for me to get a sedan.

If you have something other than a mini-van or SUV I would love to hear what you have and whether you recommend it.

TIA

SnuggleBuggles
06-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Honda Civic. I'd totally recommend it.

flashy09
06-05-2012, 11:52 AM
My Mom has a Toyota Avalon. It's sort of like a mini Cadillac! Very smooth and tons of room in the backseat, but it doesn't feel huge to drive and it's actually kind of fun/zippy.

elliput
06-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Earlier this year we traded in my '03 Ford Focus for a Prius V. There are several more inches of back seat leg room so adults can actually sit comfortably.

AnnieW625
06-05-2012, 12:00 PM
01 Toyota Corolla

We plan to replace it in the next year with one of the following:
Volvo S60
Honda Accord
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Subaru Legacy

We are looking at what now is considered mid to large size sedan. All must have a decent size trunk and more back seat space than we currently have and routinely get 25+ mpg. It must also not require premium fuel, but diesel is okay.

lcarlson90
06-05-2012, 12:16 PM
01 Toyota Corolla

We plan to replace it in the next year with one of the following:
Volvo S60
Honda Accord
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Subaru Legacy

We are looking at what now is considered mid to large size sedan. All must have a decent size trunk and more back seat space than we currently have and routinely get 25+ mpg. It must also not require premium fuel, but diesel is okay.

It seems like you have done a lot of car research lately. What do you think about VW reliability? I love the VW CC but I hear such horror stories from VW owners.

zag95
06-05-2012, 12:17 PM
I drive a 93 accord. I have owned it since 97 and it is still going strong. DH drives a Subaru outback......

mom2khj
06-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I just got rid of my 02 Maxima. I loved that car. Not a single issue until it hit 200k miles! I averaged 26-27mpg.

I also borrowed FIL's 2010 Camry while we were car shopping and I really enjoyed driving it as well. I didn't really get to test out the spaciousness, but they use it all the time with our DDs and space doesn't seem to be an issue.

AnnieW625
06-05-2012, 12:35 PM
It seems like you have done a lot of car research lately. What do you think about VW reliability? I love the VW CC but I hear such horror stories from VW owners.

Yeah, car nerd here. We go to the Anaheim (late September or early October) Auto Show (this one is put on by local dealers), and the big LA Auto Show most years. It is fun and cheap entertainment and the kids love it.

We know people irl who have had good luck with theirs, but yeah it still kind of makes me nervous. Our friends have a Jetta TDI (older mid 90s) base model Jetta (2007), early 00s Passat TDI wagon, and 06 Passat wagon. All production is now in the US and or Germany so there are no longer as many of the common problems if you have a VW that was built in Mexico. DH told me this.

When all is said and done though DH is right and he thinks we'll either end up with the Volvo or the Accord sedan, which is suppose to be slightly redesigned for 2013.

Also it just came out, but Acura released the ILX (http://m.acura.com/ILX) recently, which is now the entry level sedan. We will probably check that out as well.

codex57
06-05-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm commuting in a 2000 Camry. We also have a 2008 Lexus ES350 (fancy Camry). Obviously, engine tech has come a long way. If you just cruise on the highway, the Lexus gets over 30 mpg. Our Odyssey actually just sits in the garage and is only used on the weekends or at night on occasion.

From a parents standpoint, I like the midsize sedans. The Accords, Camrys, etc. Mileage might not be quite there, but the size is very nice. Especially coming from an SUV. And you'll be surprised. I make no secret of my preference against SUVs. If you pop open the trunk on an Accord and compare what you can fit in it compared to the space behind the 3rd row of your Pilot, you'll be amazed. Actually, even if you flip down the 3rd row seats, the Accord can fit about the same amount in the trunk, provided you don't load the Pilot up above the height of the 2nd row seats.

waitingforgrace
06-05-2012, 12:51 PM
2008 Accord that I love.
We had a Civic but it was totaled in a car accident and I still mourn the loss of my beloved Civic. We're a Honda family, something else would REALLY have to catch my eye to sway me away from a Honda.

AnnieW625
06-05-2012, 01:02 PM
From a parents standpoint, I like the midsize sedans. The Accords, Camrys, etc. Mileage might not be quite there, but the size is very nice. Especially coming from an SUV. And you'll be surprised. I make no secret of my preference against SUVs. If you pop open the trunk on an Accord and compare what you can fit in it compared to the space behind the 3rd row of your Pilot, you'll be amazed. Actually, even if you flip down the 3rd row seats, the Accord can fit about the same amount in the trunk, provided you don't load the Pilot up above the height of the 2nd row seats.

:yeahthat: I agree with you on that. We have a large dog and DH is not in the mini van camp so that is why we have the Pilot. The trunk on the Accord is awesome. The trunk in my 1996 Accord Coupe was awesome too. I am really honestly hoping I like the new Accord because Honda just always feels right to me. I feel like I am cheating if I drive something other than a Honda.

Congrats on your new van (I really like the new Odyssey, if we had to get a van (ie: Pilot gets totaled in an accident before we replace the Corolla) that is what we would get), so what exactly did you get?

maestramommy
06-05-2012, 01:06 PM
2005 Accord. 4 cylinder stick, in leather option. Best car I've ever had. :D

lcarlson90
06-05-2012, 01:37 PM
I am also biased towards Honda. I had a civic before my Pilot and between the two cars I never had any issues that weren't routine maintenance.

I know the Accord would be a good choice but I feel like it's kind of boring. My boss has a new Hyundia Sonata and it looks great but Hyundia just has this "cheap" stereotype.

KonzaPrairie
06-05-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm Toyota biased. My DH drives a 2006 Tundra and I drove a 1998 Corolla for 7 years until I replaced it in 2010 with a 2006 Lexus GS300. I love my Lexus, but I would not recommend it for the 'family sedan'. The trunk is ridiculous for being a large sedan and it doesn't get very good gas mileage (but boy is it fun to drive!) I got a great deal on it so it fit my needs at the time. However, when I went to the auto show in Houston I was extremely impressed with the Hyundai Sonata! I no longer consider them to be 'cheap'. I feel like they are doing a lot more exciting things then Honda or Toyota right now. I have not driven one, but if it drives reasonably well will probably be my next car (unless DH lets me get an Infiniti JX!). They have a lot of great features for the price and the interior looked really nice.

codex57
06-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Congrats on your new van (I really like the new Odyssey, if we had to get a van (ie: Pilot gets totaled in an accident before we replace the Corolla) that is what we would get), so what exactly did you get?

Was gonna get an EX-L w/ Rear Entertainment System. Ended up getting the Touring Elite. Liked the White Diamond Pearl paint and DW really wanted HID headlights.

I'm kinda torn. I've always been a Honda fan too. However, DW's brother and BIL are both Toyota mechanics which makes buying Toyotas soooo much more convenient (hence the Lexus ES, which is just a Camry vs a Lexus GS).

But yeah, other midsize sedans like the Hyundai Sonata or Kia Optima are great choices too. Yes, the compact ones like the Civic, Elantra, Focus, get some crazy gas mileage, but if you're a parent and need to have bulky car seats, strollers, big equipment bags, Costco runs, etc, the bigger sizes of the midsize sedans are totally worth the sacrifice in gas mileage IMO. It's not like they're bad in gas mileage, it's just that they won't hit 40 mpg highway like some of those compact cars do. However, when you compare the gas mileage to a SUV, then the midsize cars get wonderful gas mileage. Right now, Hyundai and Kia are about where Toyota/Honda were in the 90s.

I'm not too hopeful of the new Accord. Honda is sort of lost right now. The new Civic definitely got cheaper and isn't outstanding anymore (altho it gets far better gas mileage than the Corolla). We'll see if the new changes do much. Still don't see it as class leading anymore tho.

mom2khj
06-05-2012, 02:21 PM
I am also biased towards Honda. I had a civic before my Pilot and between the two cars I never had any issues that weren't routine maintenance.

I know the Accord would be a good choice but I feel like it's kind of boring. My boss has a new Hyundia Sonata and it looks great but Hyundia just has this "cheap" stereotype.

One of my bosses just got one of these last year and he loves it! He says he prefers driving it over the Accord it replaced (Accord was passed down to his teen daughter). Both are 4 cylinder if that matters, and he said the Accord felt like it whereas the Sonata does not. Plus for less money he got more "bells and whistles" in the Sonata.

I rode it in just recently and was very surprised at how much I liked it. Definitely changed my initial opinion of Hyundai.

queenmama
06-05-2012, 02:37 PM
I actually drive a wagon, a Saab 9-5 Aero. I loooove my car. It is a blast to drive with its manual transmission. And although I had been in the market for a Viggen, this came up at a steal and it has the same engine so we jumped on it. It's a 4-cylinder, so it gets decent mileage for its size, around 25-28mpg.

If I shop for a "new" car in the next few years it will be another one of these, for sure. Mine is a 2001 and I would shoot for anything made through 2005 since I hate the body style change in '06.

Saabs are quirky and expensive to maintain, but we are blessed to live close to the Saab gurus at Taliaferro.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

Mommy_Mea
06-05-2012, 02:54 PM
All production is now in the US and or Germany so there are no longer as many of the common problems if you have a VW that was built in Mexico. DH told me this.

DH knows more about this than I do, but he has told me something along the lines of what is quoted above.

We have a '99 VW V6 Jetta that was built in Mexico. DH had some issues with it initially, but nothing wildly out of the realm of possibility for any car. And a lot of it ended up being covered under recalls. In the past 7 years, we have had minimal/no issues with it outside of normal maintenance. It has 145k on it, drives like a dream and is a very solid car. And I am constantly amazed how much we can fit in that trunk! And it has NEVER broken down.

We also now have a '09 Jetta wagon :)

I think for the price point, you get something a little more fun, with a little more pep with a VW. But, I am obviously a huge VW fan.

Saabs are quirky and expensive to maintain, but we are blessed to live close to the Saab gurus at Taliaferro.

Growing up, a Saab 900 was the "kids car" because of how safe it was. I loved those two cars. i can't imagine my parents did, now that I have a better understand of what a huge amount of money they spent repairing those cars!! But, one hit 200k before we moved on to the second, so there is that :)

codex57
06-05-2012, 03:15 PM
I actually drive a wagon, a Saab 9-5 Aero. I loooove my car. It is a blast to drive with its manual transmission. And although I had been in the market for a Viggen, this came up at a steal and it has the same engine so we jumped on it. It's a 4-cylinder, so it gets decent mileage for its size, around 25-28mpg.

If I shop for a "new" car in the next few years it will be another one of these, for sure. Mine is a 2001 and I would shoot for anything made through 2005 since I hate the body style change in '06.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

Do owners keep them around? Now that Saab's dead, I do wonder how quickly the used inventory is gonna disappear.

maestramommy
06-05-2012, 03:26 PM
I have recently heard great things about Hyundai. They have become much more reliable, offer more bang for the buck. Even Koreans are recommending them now:tongue5: They weren't in the 90s when they first came out.

lhafer
06-05-2012, 04:32 PM
DH drove a Hyundai elantra and loved it. Recently traded it in for the Hyundai genesis coupe and LOVES it. The il laws drive Hyundai Santa Fe and a Veracruz. None of them have had any issues at all.

I would seriously suggest the Sonata or the Genesis. Great cars. Great reliability. Great warranty with Hyundais.

MommyAllison
06-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Chiming in with the Hyundai Sonata love ;) DH drives an '07 Sonata. We've only had it for a couple months, but have been really happy with it. Our mechanic highly recommended Sonatas, as did Consumer Reports. I think we could fit 3 across if we needed to, and it gets great gas mileage, and great crash test ratings. Ours has 50k miles on it, so DH will be driving it for a looooooooong time (we put 7,000 miles a year on our vehicles, usually less on DH's).

wendibird22
06-05-2012, 05:23 PM
DH has a 2011 Ford Fusion. Great gas mileage (~32mpg highway, 29 mpg around town). Fits 2 carseats easily (RF trufit and Frontier 85). Trunk space is very good. I've taken it on several 6+hr drives and find it very comfortable. DH likes it very much.

cvanbrunt
06-05-2012, 06:35 PM
I drive a 2005 VolvoS40T. It's a stick so I love it. Hubby drives the Volvo wagon, S70, I think. He loves it but too much of a mom car for me. It is very comfy and practical, though.

codex57
06-05-2012, 06:42 PM
DH has a 2011 Ford Fusion. Great gas mileage (~32mpg highway, 29 mpg around town). Fits 2 carseats easily (RF trufit and Frontier 85). Trunk space is very good. I've taken it on several 6+hr drives and find it very comfortable. DH likes it very much.

If OP considers the Fusion, she should try and hold out for the new 2013 model. It's been shown at autoshows, but I don't think it's been thoroughly reviewed yet (cuz not out on market yet). It looks to be so good, that you can legitimately see it stealing significant sales away from the Camry/Accord. I believe Ford can ramp up production much more quickly than Hyundai can if sales explode.

SnuggleBuggles
06-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Fwiw, we considered an Accord but they are so big. If you have to parallel park a lot, I think you'd prefer a Civic. Civics now adays are like the size Accords used to be, so roomy Enough, IMO. If you have a minivan, you just need a "big enough" car for daily life. :)

baymom
06-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Our sedan is a Lexus ES 350, but we are planning on selling it in the next year or so to get a Prius. I really want some type of hybrid!

daniele_ut
06-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Before we sold it to buy a van I drove a Chevy Malibu. I LOVED it. I bought it from my company motor pool, drove it for 3 years without a single problem and re-sold it for about $1500 less than I paid for it.

MontrealMum
06-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Not sure if I qualify, we own two wagons. #1 is a Toyota Corolla and #2 is a Subie Outback. The Corolla is O-L-D and will need to be replaced soon. If they were still making them we'd buy another Corolla or Camry wagon in a heartbeat. We're not that keen on their current lineup, however. We do a lot of outdoorsy things so a wagon is ideal, but we live in a big city and park on the street so we'd really prefer not to go the SUV route. The Subie is very nice, but not so great on gas. It replaced a Jetta for us and if it's up to me I will never go back to VW again. That darned thing cost a mint in repairs. We're probably looking at another Outback or a used Volvo.

In terms of other sedans I'm familiar with...my dad currently has a Hyundai Elantra which is kind of like a bare bones Toyota. I was pleasantly surprised. When I got in to drive for the first time I actually couldn't reach the pedals and I am not short! That thing has a lot of front leg room!!! My mom also recently purchased a Chevy Impala which is a nice, smooth ride. And the carseat installed in it like it was meant to be there :) Although I've never owned one I also have lots of warm fuzzy feelings towards the Honda Accord based on riding in friends' cars.