PDA

View Full Version : Themed Party Question

Raidra
06-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Fiona's having a Tangled birthday party this Saturday. It's heavily themed, with activities like making Pascal party blowers, Tangled bottle cap jewelry, Pin the Frying Pan on Flynn, and a Frying Pan Relay Race with Pascal. We'll also have chalk out for drawing on the fences, a sun pinata, and we're giving the girls long Rapunzel braid hair bows and the boys are getting satchels (everyone gets paints and the pinata is filled with little plastic duckies, horses, lizards, etc).

So my problem is this.. I think only about half of the kids (maybe less) have seen Tangled. Do you think I should try to familiarize them with the story? I have a Tangled Golden Book that I could read at the start of the party, maybe while everyone's making the party blowers. Or should I just assume that the kids will have fun, even if they don't get some of it?

ellies mom
06-05-2012, 03:06 PM
When we had an Olivia party for DD1, I read the first book to the kids at the start of the party. Since we were doing Jackson Pollack inspired painting as an activity, it helped put the activity in context. I think a short summary book, like a Golden book would be great.

cntrymoon2
06-05-2012, 03:21 PM
I agree with reading the book at the beginning. I can't wait to see pictures from this party!!!

pinkmomagain
06-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Well, my youngest dd went to a Skylander party this weekend and really wasn't familiar with it all, but had a wonderful time. So while reading the book might be nice, I don't think it's necessary for a good time to be had by all.

babyonway
06-10-2012, 12:52 AM
I just wanted to heck back and see how the party went. I bet and hope it was a blast!!! Did you end up reading the book to the kiddos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Raidra
06-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks for asking! The party was a big hit. I did end up reading the story to the kids, and even the kids who knew the movie enjoyed listening to it. We ended up scrapping two of the games (Hide -n- Seek with Pascal and a Pascal Frying Pan relay race) because the kids had so much fun with Pin the Frying Pan on Flynn and making the bottle cap jewelry and Pascal party blowers. They also had a great time posing for pictures with the props, too.

I'm still going through pictures and hopefully I'll get some better pics of the decorations from the official photographers in the family, but here's the start of the photo album: http://raum.shutterfly.com/831

Twoboos
06-10-2012, 10:24 AM
WOW!! The decorations look awesome! Love the paints and bag as goodie bag gifts, brilliant. And the hair all around the house, and of course the Flynn "Wanted" sign. It looked fabulous!! :bighand:

Wish I could steal all these ideas for one of my DDs. ;)

g-mama
06-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Awesome decorations! I love the hair everywhere, lol! What fun.

maydaymommy
06-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Wow! You make amazing parties!

I'm so glad it all worked out.

Seitvonzu
06-10-2012, 12:17 PM
those pictures are awesome :) i love the decorations (hair everywhere!)-- and the paint brush rice krispies on the tower stand where my favorite thing ever :) so cute! did you make the braids? they are wonderful!

veryvery cute party :) looks like a blast (and i agree the paint sets was a GREAT favor idea)

Melaine
06-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Amazing!!!

Raidra
06-10-2012, 01:35 PM
those pictures are awesome :) i love the decorations (hair everywhere!)-- and the paint brush rice krispies on the tower stand where my favorite thing ever :) so cute! did you make the braids? they are wonderful!

veryvery cute party :) looks like a blast (and i agree the paint sets was a GREAT favor idea)

Yup, I made the braids! The little ones (the hair accessories) are easy to make, but the long ones for decorations are a total PITA.

Funny story.. I thought the satchels would be a flop (except for my boys, who were ridiculously excited to be getting satchels). While I was getting the pinata set up, I looked over and noticed that *all* of the girls had grabbed satchels and were wearing them! I felt so bad that I had to tell them that they were just for the boys - so I ended up promising to make each of the girls a satchel, too. Thankfully I over-bought the felt so I should have enough. I'm tempted to pick up some tiaras from the dollar store and slip them in there, too.

cntrymoon2
06-10-2012, 01:39 PM
WOW, I love it!! The felt bags and Rapunzel hair braids came out awesome! And I love the paint set favors. And your banners and papercrafting- WOW!! Did you use a Cricut or a Cameo for those?
What an beautiful birthday you gave your DD :)

Raidra
06-10-2012, 02:55 PM
WOW, I love it!! The felt bags and Rapunzel hair braids came out awesome! And I love the paint set favors. And your banners and papercrafting- WOW!! Did you use a Cricut or a Cameo for those?
What an beautiful birthday you gave your DD :)

I have a Silhouette, yup. It's funny.. I bought a new blade shortly after starting working on the party. They're supposed to last six months.. well, I need a new one and it's only been a month. ;)

I've been planning this party for quite a while and really had an image in my head of what it would look like (thank you, Pinterest). When we were getting ready to hang the yarn lanterns over the kids' table, we were almost out of time (it was about 20 minutes before the party) and I didn't think we'd get it right or get it done at all, but my dad and my husband really came through. I started crying, it looked just like I'd imagined. I may have also been a little overwrought, having stayed up until 3am the night before, but I was so grateful that it came out right.

And I know that Fiona would have been happy with a much simpler party, but crafting brings me joy, peace, and distraction, which I've really needed lately.. so her party was at least as much for me as her. :)

twowhat?
06-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Wow - amazing!!! I love it! Tucking away ideas:)

KrisM
06-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Very fun! My DD is now making yarn braids for herself and her dolls :).

babyonway
06-10-2012, 04:35 PM
That looks like so much fun thank you for sharing the pics! Everyone is just having a ball and it looks like you had beautiful weather as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Wow! You make amazing parties!

:yeahthat:

I love going thru your bday party pics. You are so creative and talented!!

MamaMolly
06-10-2012, 08:45 PM
That was so much fun just to look at!! Thanks for sharing.