PDA

View Full Version : F/U realtor question (very long)

crl
06-05-2012, 03:35 PM
We are unhappy with our realtor. In short, he went on a long vacation and failed to make arrangements for us to see houses in his absence, despite my requests to see things. He has also been a bit disingenuous with us about how a house we were interested in, but did not get to see due to his neglect, sold. For more details see my whiny thread here: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=434077

Dh thinks we are legally obligated to use annoying realtor if we proceed with one particular house that we had previously negotiated on using him. Fine. I don't know and I'm okay with being conservative and doing that. We used a Redfin realtor over the weekend to get into a few things, but are not planning to make an offer on any of them. We liked her just fine and like the team approach so we hopefully would not have any issues getting in to see houses. We also like their slick Internet interface that allows us to make requests to them anytime day or night.

But we have a couple of concerns about going forward with Redfin. One is that dh is worried any offers we make for a house where the annoying realtor's office has the listing will be presented unfavorably (and possibly slanted to deliberately identify that we can afford more--we ALWAYS buy less house than we can technically "afford" because we have other priorities). This would be a potential problem with any other agent. The other is that we would hope an agent could get us into things that are listed with his or her office before or right as they are hitting the market. That was our experience buying in VA, although annoying agent here has absolutely not done this for us at all. Redfin doesn't have many listings in our target area and I don't think that kind of service is really their model anyway.

I suggested that perhaps we could switch to a different agent within the same agency to avoid Dh's concern. This would require us to be very in-your-face about our dissatisfaction though and I would rather just quietly disappear. And I am not sure how well it would really go--I mean would you want to work with the asshole buyers who complained to your boss and fired another agent in your office?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
Catherine

mackmama
06-05-2012, 04:05 PM
In your situation I'd probably talk directly with the agent's boss (with whom you were unhappy). I'd explain what happened and ask to work with another agent within the same agency.

codex57
06-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Agents are like toilet paper. They're disposable.

I'd feel no qualms asking for a new agent.

twowhat?
06-05-2012, 04:29 PM
I agree that you should use a realtor that you're happy with. Did you sign any sort of contract? If not I'd have no qualms about switching to someone else.

Our own realtor showed us the agent contract paperwork, and told us not to sign it. She said that if ever we are unhappy with her, she does not want us bound to her and we should move on to someone that we like better.

AnnieW625
06-05-2012, 04:31 PM
I have never been in your situation, but if you are working with a large real estate office with a good reputation in your target area and your old agent is not the manager I would definitely explain your situation to the lead agent at the office. There have got to be a number of other good agents in that office who are a better fit for you.

I do not think you are obligated to continue using the other realtor unless you signed some paperwork that stated you are in contract with him (like what ShalieghCarson'sMom said in another RE post over the weekend) when you submitted your offer on the other property.

If you don't feel like your Redfin agent is working for you then just be honest with them and let them know there isn't much they have right now in your target area.

Unless you really like one of the houses that your current agent has listed I wouldn't worry about him screaming foul if you submit an offer on another property. If he is the listing agent and you are the best offer then he doesn't care who the buyer is he will just want his commission. Unfortunately there is no way to see what the other buyers are offering at the time of submission, but a good agent should and will give you good advice about that.

vonfirmath
06-05-2012, 04:34 PM
If he is the listing agent and you are the best offer then he doesn't care who the buyer is he will just want his commission. Unfortunately there is no way to see what the other buyers are offering at the time of submission, but a good agent should and will give you good advice about that.

This is how a good listing agent should work. But she already knows this agent is not a good one. He is still human and might bear a grudge. But the only thing OP could do to avoid that is shoot herself in the foot :(

codex57
06-05-2012, 04:52 PM
This is how a good listing agent should work. But she already knows this agent is not a good one. He is still human and might bear a grudge. But the only thing OP could do to avoid that is shoot herself in the foot :(

He's a lazy agent, not necessarily a vindictive one. Greed may overcome. I haven't seen anything yet to suggest it's not worth a shot.

Plus, if she brings it up with the manager/broker and that agent tries to pull something, he'll be gone. Cuz it not only affects that agent's commission, it also affects that broker's income.

crl
06-05-2012, 05:42 PM
We have not signed a buyers agent agreement with him.

Thanks everyone.

Catherine

codex57
06-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Then despite your husband's worry, there's no problem.

Both from a legal and practical standpoint. I'm sure he's thinking down agency rules and stuff. I've got a California attorney license and a California broker license. The real estate industry is... well, lets just say it's less than kosher from a legal standpoint. So you look at what's the practical result. If no buyer's agreement, and you've got a pissed off buyer who can complain to the managing broker (or walk completely to a different agency), even if that agent "might" have some legal recourse, he's not going down that path. Not worth the collateral damage that might come from it (managing broker might kick him out, but more importantly, not worth the stories that everyone will be spreading about him).

alien_host
06-05-2012, 06:42 PM
We have not signed a buyers agent agreement with him.

Thanks everyone.

Catherine

I didn't read the other thread, but this is my 2 cents.

If this is the case then I say walk. I do think you should speak with the agent's manager and explain why you are dissatisfied. Customer service is their business and you will feel better letting them know how you were treated and perhaps spare someone else as well.

2) Do you need a realtor? We've bought 3 houses w/ no buyer's agent. You can find so much info on-line. Then call the listing agent to set up an appointment or just go to an open house. IMO you have more bargaining power w/out a buyer's agent. The seller has to pay X% to the listing agent. that agent has to pay part of it to the buyer's agent, if you have no buyer's agent the listing agent gets the entire commision. You now can bargain down because the listing agent can give up some of their commission and still be ahead if you buy.

Of course we are in MA and you in CA, but doing it on your own (if allowed) can save $. Of course use an attorney to review the P&S etc.

I'm not sure "annoying" agent will bad mouth you, if he doesn't sell a house that the office is listing to you and you are the best buyer, they don't get a commission.

I get it that agents get annoyed when buyers want to see everything etc, that's why we've never bothered to work with an agent.

Good luck!

citymama
06-05-2012, 06:58 PM
If you made a formal offer with him, you may be obligated, but not if he's only shown you the place. I agree with codex: disposable. There are good realtors out there, and in the market you're looking in, you need one of them. Dump him and don't look back. I wouldn't turn to Redfin though - not in SF.