PDA

View Full Version : dance studio dilemmna....schedule?

nfowife
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
DD started at a new dance studio this year. Our previous studio (for 1 year) was a very large studio. I felt it was growing too fast, and the classes were quite large. At the end of the year there were multiple, long recitals. I didn't feel it was very personal. Plus it was on the far end of distance from my home.

So this year we found a studio that was newer (2 years old), so much smaller and close to our house. DD's class for Jazz and Tap was her and 2 other girls! Ballet was 8 girls. I loved the personal feeling this studio had, and I felt that DD learned a lot more. The other studio didn't do any barre work in ballet, and this one did. DD learned the proper names for a lot of steps where she didn't seem to at the other studio. There was one, fairly short (1.5 hours) recital at the end of the year.

Now I am running into a problem. The current studio that we really like's schedule doesn't work for us next year. They switch at 7 from doing a jazz/tap combo to separate classes for each dance style. This would mean 3 hours of dance one night a week. I feel that for one, this is too much for a 7 year old. I asked DD and she said she would drop jazz but the problem is it is ballet-jazz-tap which is a problem because then there is a down hour there which is not long enough for me to get her and then get her back within an hour, kwim? I generally drop off and pick up (or usually DH picks up) because with a 1 year old and 5 year old we can't just sit there for 1.5 hours each week in a lobby waiting.

There is another studio about 5 minutes further from the current small studio. I have a few friends who go there and really like it. However, it's a much larger studio and has much stricter policies on apparel, multiple recitals, etc. BUT the schedule at this new studio is much better for us. They still have a 7 year old combo class (1 class ballet, then 1 class of half jazz and half tap) which I much prefer.

Cost is the same at every studio here so that is not an issue. I contacted the current studio with my concerns and they basically said that I was welcome to keep her in the 5-6 year old class for another year if I preferred. In fact, because it is a small studio still building their client base, they didn't have anyone in the 7-10 age range this year so DD had an 8 year old in her ballet class with her even though all the other girls were 5 and 6. I don't know that I feel comfortable with her being "held back" if it's not necessary.

Any input? We are only living here one more year, so no matter what it's just this coming year and then moving on....not looking for a long-term studio at this point.

maestramommy
06-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I would stick with the same studio and let her be with younger kids. Dora was in a Ballet 1-2 class this year for 5-7 yo. There are two levels, so whoever is in the higher level sometimes demos for the younger ones. But they seem to cover the same stuff. But Dora's only been taking "real" ballet just this semester so she could stand to repeat stuff. Heck, I could say the same about Arwyn, and technically she's supposed to move into Level 1 this fall. There is a 9yo in Dora's class because of a developmental delay, and no one seems to care. I get that your DD isn't delayed, but is she so advanced that being in the younger class another year would be boring? If not, I'd keep her there.

At this stage I try to keep things as sane as possible.

wellyes
06-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Have her focus on ballet or tap, would be my suggestion.

nfowife
06-05-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't want to drop ballet. I feel it is so important to have that background as it is the basis for all other forms of dance. She loves tap, and seems to have a talent there, and wants to continue. I don't care about jazz, but if we stay at current studio that leaves a dead hour that would really be hard to deal with. I can't just leave her sitting there for an hour with no supervision, kwim? And if I do the 3 classes at current studio then I am paying more there as it's 3 seperate classes vs. the current situation which counts as 2 classes (since one is a combo).

I am hestiant to keep her in the 5-6 class. Especially when I do have a viable option to have her with same-age peers. This will be her 4th year dancing (1 year of parks and rec ballet, and 2 years at studios doing jazz/ballet/tap).

wellyes
06-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Isn't jazz pretty foundational too? My expert opinion comes from having seen every single episode of every season of So You Think You Can Dance.

I'd call & ask the studio for their opinion, they may have some insight. Or -- longshot -- they may even be able to swap the time slots, if it's still as small as it was last year.

AnnieW625
06-05-2012, 04:38 PM
I would continue at the same studio and tell her that she needs to chose one discipline. Ballet or jazz are a good foundation for dance from what I understand too. I think it would be easier to add tap back in later on. The ballerina contestant on SYTYCD (season 2, I think) was a former dance teacher and student at DD1's old ballet school.

However, if it were my daughter and tap was her favorite discipline I would most likely just let her do that for a while and if she misses ballet then re enroll her at a later date.

baileygirl
06-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Are you able to do trial classes at the new studio? Could she take ballet at current studio and the other class at the other studio? I have never danced (and have 2 boys who aren't interested in learning), but do some kids do the 3 hours of dance?

Cuckoomamma
06-05-2012, 06:28 PM
My girls (11 and 7) both take dance at a pre-professional school and are quite serious. I can pass on a few generalities to you, and then you have to decide what's best for your family.

Ballet is the foundation of everything. If you had a child who enjoyed ballet and only took ballet until they were 10 or 12, you'd still end up with a dancer who could master tap and jazz. In the non-competitive world, talking professional dancers, jazz isn't added until around 10-12. What they do in a jazz class up until then is fun, but there's no way that developmentally a child younger than that can really learn jazz. My 7 yo takes jazz, loves it and is good for what that level does, but it isn't "real" jazz. My understanding from the professionals is that they only offer it to younger kids to keep the kids and parents happy. In terms of real dance, it's a throw away until they're older.

In terms of ballet, they aren't developmentally ready to really learn until around 8. When you see kids that are 7 and 8 next to each other you tend to see a large developmental leap. Up until that age, they're building strength and general coordination, learning some basics but nothing huge happens until 8. At 8 the whole game changes, if your child wants to dance seriously. That's when you'd start to look at 2 classes a week and want really good training. No competition school, no mixed discipline classes.

So, up until then it's just about what makes her happy. I think you'd get more bang for your buck out of the ballet or tap equally. They're very different. Tap teaches rhythm and timing and is much more active. Ballet requires more focus and has slower visible rewards. I think it's about the temperment of your child.

It doesn't sound as if tap and jazz are doable unless you keep her in the combo class. I think the ratio of the smaller school is fantastic as long as you like the other students. You could switch schools, go with the older class and the kids be more immature and less focused than the younger kids with the lower ratio. So, I'd vote tap or ballet or lower level combo class with your current studio. Have you asked if they'd be willing to change the schedule? You never know until you ask....especially since they're so small!

nfowife
06-05-2012, 08:58 PM
I just emailed the current studio owner (who was Allison's jazz/tap teacher this year) to ask her if it would be possible to swap tap and jazz so that ballet and tap were back to back. If she says no, which I think she might, then I am going to go with the new studio. I just don't think putting her back down in the 5-6 year old class is going to work as the more I think about it most of the girls in DD's classes this year were her age so that means the majority of the 5-6 year old class next year will be 5 year olds (kindergarteners) moving up from the 3-4 class. I don't feel that is an ideal situation.
We'll see! Thanks for your insight. I do have a strong dance background through college so I'm not unfamiliar with the skill/technique development. I'm not trying to train her to be a professional by any means, just to have the skills, flexibility and enjoyment at this age.