PDA

View Full Version : Changing phone numbers

lhafer
06-05-2012, 06:12 PM
So if you move out of the city or out of state - do you change your cell phone number?

We have cell phones, no land line (haven't in at least 10 years). We moved around right after college, but haven't changed cities in the past 11 years or so. So we've never really had to change our number. But we might be moving across state and around various states over the next several years. We don't plan on changing our phone numbers. We figure cell phones are so prevalent, that long distance charges, etc are pretty null and void at this point.

sunshine873
06-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Nope. You're right - cell phones are so prevalent now, that a different area code or local number just isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

It's not worth the trouble to change your number.

meggie t
06-05-2012, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't unless you have to for some reason. I moved several times (different states) and didn't change my number. However, once I got married and wanted to do a family plan with DH, I did have to change my number to a local number (to correspond to DH's local area code).

crl
06-05-2012, 06:22 PM
We haven't changed ours. Mine is still a NVa cell area code from the second (of three) times we lived in Va. No plans to change it.
Catherine

cono0507
06-05-2012, 06:27 PM
When we moved across country 2 years ago, we kept our old cellphone numbers but got local numbers with google voice that redirect to our old cellphones. So people can call me on my old cellphone number and also on my new "local" number and both reach the cellphone.
http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

mom2one
06-05-2012, 06:32 PM
We moved in 2010 from TX to CA. I still have my TX number. It actually is kind of nice not the have the same number as everyone else.

Susan

codex57
06-05-2012, 06:40 PM
I don't change unless I plan on being there for years. Like 3 or 4+ years at the very minimum. So, in school, I never changed. I finally settled up here so I changed.

Mommy_Mea
06-05-2012, 08:38 PM
When we moved out of state, I kept my cell phone. It confused everyone (state with small population and only a single area code, the (617) area code threw them). Plus, to be able to buzz people up from the front door of our apartment complex, we needed a local number. So I used Google Voice. You can choose any area code, and it will give you a number. The number forwards to your cell phone (or any selected phone number).

It was a good thing, because we moved back to our point of origin shortly thereafter, where my cell phone area code made sense :)

wencit
06-05-2012, 08:49 PM
No number changes for DH and me, either. DH has had the same cell number for 16 years; we joke that it's practically like his social security number now.

AnnieW625
06-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Moved here 7/1/2 yrs. ago and still have my home area code on my cell. Same with DH. It drives people nuts here because they think it the first 3 numbers of the 7 digit phone number. I guess people here are really connected to the area codes.

Nechums
06-05-2012, 10:05 PM
I live in NY and have an NJ area code on my cell. I guess because of the constant NY-NJ rivalry, I get a lot of comments and questions about it. People get confused and have to ask "wait, I thought you live in NY". It's annoying, but not annoying enough to change the number I've had for 9 years.

georgiegirl
06-05-2012, 10:32 PM
We moved 6 years ago and kept our old cell phone numbers. I kind of like having a cell phone number from another (cooler) state.

wolverine2
06-06-2012, 08:34 AM
We moved 6 years ago and kept our old cell phone numbers. I kind of like having a cell phone number from another (cooler) state.

I think people keep cell phone numbers like souvenirs now! The google voice idea is a good one though...