PDA

View Full Version : What Laptop do you use?

MoeJoe
06-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm looking for a budget friendly laptop, eg. preferably lower than $400 because I also want to get an extended warranty. From what I saw the laptops in that range are mainly Acer, Toshiba and a few HPs. What company, on average, has the best reviews- with quality, customer service, returns etc.?

I had an HP laptop for a good 5 years or so, but had constant issues with it that made me glad for the extended warranty! I have a Dell desktop that I am very happy with. My sis had a Dell laptop she hated and a Toshiba that she likes better.

ETA: My DH really doesn't go for refurbished things (though I don't mind) and I'm not keen on netbooks because they lack a DVD player- which will be much used.

Is it really the luck of the draw? That's what it seems like when I looked through reviews...

Can you please vote what you use and make a comment on what kind of user you are? I will mainly be using it for internet and dvds- just want something portable.

Thanks!

Indianamom2
06-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I am using an HP Pavilion g6 with Windows 7. I almost exclusively use mine for internet browsing. I've had it a couple of years and haven't had any real issues that I can recall.

Before that I had a Gateway that I liked, but it hit the floor one to many times and would have been too costly to repair.

LMPC
06-05-2012, 09:10 PM
I actually have an ASUS and love it! Light, GREAT battery life...and not too expensive. Mine came with a 2 year warranty -- free.

AnnieW625
06-05-2012, 09:31 PM
I use an IBM laptop.

My brother has an Asus and he likes it.

Indianamom2
06-05-2012, 09:54 PM
I actually have an ASUS and love it! Light, GREAT battery life...and not too expensive. Mine came with a 2 year warranty -- free.

This reminds me...DH has an ASUS that he really liked and got a lot of heavy internet/gaming use. I also have an ASUS transformer tablet and have been happy with that. I would add that to my list.

hellokitty
06-05-2012, 09:56 PM
I use an ASUS netbook, that I got for about $210. I love it! The battery life on it is amazing.

candaceb
06-05-2012, 10:38 PM
I got a refurbished Dell Inspiron N5110 from the Dell Outlet last August after my previous laptop died. I got it when they had a coupon special for 20% off (they usually have them once a month or so - sign up on their web site to get emails, or look on slickdeals). I paid about $400. It was scratch & dent but I have never found a scratch or a dent on it.

belovedgandp
06-06-2012, 12:00 AM
I am one 1 1/2 years in on a Dell that was around $400. Upgraded on a 5 year old one before that - I think HP - mostly because the hard drive was ridiculously small and the battery was toast. It had been a comparable bottom of the line.

I don't need my laptop to "do" anything. DH is a computer geek and will always have a system or two going with the fancy software, burners and whatever. I need to be able to do some work in Office apps, surf and edit some pictures.

mackmama
06-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Mac :) :)

lalasmama
06-06-2012, 12:52 AM
I have an Acer Aspire 5517. I've had it for around 3 years now. Haven't had a single issue with it, and paid around $300 for it, I think. Well, okay, the only annoyance is that it doesn't have a webcam on it, and it would be fun to Skype with people without having to attach the webcam--have to find the USB extension cord, then plug it all in, get it at the right height, etc. But, that's a REALLY minor thing to me.

I asked two men who do computer things for a living--one is an IT guy, and has been building computers since he was programming in DOS; the other builds electrical circuitry, and has dabbled in computers for years... I trusted both their opinions, and when I asked each about what they think of this specific computer before I bought it, I got 2 thumbs up from each of them. (Hhhmm, funny, that's about the only thing they EVER agreed on!)

At any rate, I've had an Asus before (it was fine), I've had an HP before (it broke down 3 weeks after the warranty expired; still use it for some old games). I really do like my Acer, though :) It's been the easiest for me to maintain.

baymom
06-06-2012, 01:22 AM
Another Mac user here!:love5:

lmwbasye
06-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Mac :)

Didn't realize there was another kind. Hee hee

MoeJoe
06-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

I think Macs are great too- but not within my budget or really for the minimal usage it'll get. :)

I'm leaning toward an Acer or Asus now. Gotta look at more prices. But, please- keep the poll going! :bowdown:

Thanks!

ETA: My DH really doesn't go for refurbished things (though I don't mind) and I'm not keen on netbooks because they lack a DVD player- which will be much used.

codex57
06-06-2012, 02:08 PM
They're all made from the same suppliers.

At this point, I prefer HP and Asus over the others listed. At that price range. Lenovo is good too, but not sure if they have one in that price range.

AnnieW625
06-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Lenovo is good too, but not sure if they have one in that price range.

Lenovo, that's it, it is what IBM became. I only use it occaisionally when DH has to bring it home from work or if we are out of town and he brings it along. It is heavy, but a great solid well made lap top.

I have heard Sony and Toshibas are good as well. Mac laptops tend to change too much that I would be a tad hesitant to get one (and I own a Mac desktop).