PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty in Texas? -UPDATED

Liziz
06-05-2012, 10:04 PM
UPDATE - wow, that was easy! I just called today, explained that I was nursing and wanted to postpone, and was told "ok, that sounds reasonable. I'll postpone for a year". :)
Anyone know how jury duty works in Texas? I just got a jury duty summons for later this month. I'm happy to do it...it may sound lame but I totally believe in the whole civic duty thing and all.

BUT - I am exclusively nursing my DD. I work and pump, but with timing and using my lunch to go nurse her, I manage so she only needs 2 bottles at daycare most days. Anytime she needs more than 2 bottles, I never am able to pump enough to cover what she eats, even though I pump as many times as the feedings I miss. Given where jury duty is in relation to where daycare is located, if have to be at the courthouse for a full day, there's no *way* I could pump enough.

I just want to get jury duty deferred for a few months until DD isn't EBF anymore. Does anyone know if that's possible in TX? We're not a state w/ a specific exemption, and we do have a "primary caregiver" exemption...but it doesn't apply if the child goes to daycare. But, I'm not looking for an exemption, only a deferral...I can't find any information about how deferrals work, if that's even something TX does. Do I have to appear the first day to request a deferral, or do I write in, like I would if I was trying to get an exemption? And...if anyone in TX has had to do jury duty while BFing, did they give you adequate time/breaks to pump?

I'm going to call tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone had experience or advice about how to approach this. I'm trying not to stress and I know most people who serve jury duty only do it for a day or two, but this is coinciding with me noticing that my supply seems to be dropping a bit, so it makes it even more stressful!

geochick
06-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Not all areas of Texas will be the same. It all depends on the type of court, and the mood of the person making the decisions. I got a summons the week my daughter was born. I had to write a letter. In that court, I was allowed to defer until my baby turned 1. The week my daughter turned one, I got another summons.

Good luck. Call tomorrow.