PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for custody case??

ray7694
06-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Any attorneys or experiencew with this issue? My ex has filed for sole custody and has no real reason to change our current joint agreement that has been for the last 8 years. I am up against the best attorney in the area. I have a matched attorney but would like to prepare all I can for this.

Any books, article databases etc that give details about fighting custody cases and things to think about/include?

TIA!

TwinFoxes
06-05-2012, 11:35 PM
I don't have any BTDT or legal advice, but I would want to know honestly what my "weaknesses" are that an ex could exploit. Ask your friends what they think are issues he could use against you. I do remember you tried to move out of the area with your DS? I would want to know from my attorney how/if that would effect your case. Good luck, I can't imagine how stressful this is. :hug:

sntm
06-07-2012, 01:06 PM
I'll try to find my list of books. Feel free to pm me

Reader
06-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Here's my advice: stall, stall, stall. If you are happy with the current arrangement, delay hearings as much as possible. My DH (the non custodial parent) and I went into the court system believing in fairness, but after 10+ years found it didn't really exist in our situation and his ex wife's strategy in delaying was very effective. It took us 5 years to get a visitation agreement for every other weekend, and 5 years was a long time for us to miss out on time with DSD. By the time we got an agreement and his ex appealed it, DSD was 13 and the judge was ready to hear her opinion about what she wanted to do. I know how stressful it is, good luck!