PDA

View Full Version : Someone remind me how long it takes the Pred to kick in.

Fairy
06-05-2012, 11:34 PM
DS has been flaring for two days, today has been very very very very bad. Did three albu by neb today and didn't do a 4th cuz there just weren't enough hours in the day. The last one had zero impact, he's been doing the night coughs 5 a minute for 2 hours. Finally gave prednisone 20 minutes ago. I wish it were instant, but how long till that stuff kicks in?

o_mom
06-05-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't know for asthma... when we use it for croup (oral, injected or inhaled) it was usually 6-8 hrs. :( I hope he feels better soon.

Jacksmommy2b
06-05-2012, 11:48 PM
:hug:

Asthma flares are the worst. Can you hit him with the albuterol again while you wait?

Fairy
06-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Now the coughs have stopped so abruptly that I'm worried he's not breathing. He's 7. God, being a helicopter sucks. I'm glad he's finally stopped coughing that's for sure, but it went from 60 to zero in five minutes. Wow. Took less than 30 minutes from the time of the oral liquid.

Ugh, this day needs to be over.

Jacksmommy2b
06-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Now the coughs have stopped so abruptly that I'm worried he's not breathing. He's 7. God, being a helicopter sucks. I'm glad he's finally stopped coughing that's for sure, but it went from 60 to zero in five minutes. Wow. Took less than 30 minutes from the time of the oral liquid.

Ugh, this day needs to be over.

Another :grouphug: for good measure. I think it's impossible for an asthma mom not to helicopter during a flare. There is nothing worse than knowing your kid isn't breathing right! P and PT tomorrow brings no more symptoms.

Fairy
06-06-2012, 12:03 AM
:hug:

Asthma flares are the worst. Can you hit him with the albuterol again while you wait?

Can't yet, he had it 2 hours ago. Have to wait at least one more hour, but I might sneak it in there at 1am. I have a conference call at 2am (for real), so I'll be up.

Fairy
06-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Another :grouphug: for good measure. I think it's impossible for an asthma mom not to helicopter during a flare. There is nothing worse than knowing your kid isn't breathing right! P and PT tomorrow brings no more symptoms.

THANK YOU! I needed it! :grouphug:

mackmama
06-06-2012, 12:08 AM
No BTDT, but I just wanted to send you a hug. Hang in there... sounds like an extra scary day. Please keep us posted.

Fairy
06-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Thanks. Teresa, are you saying you would not have done the pred? I'm just tired of calling the pulmo to start the pred when I know damn well he's going ot say ok start the pred. We've never done the ER, but we've been close.

citymama
06-06-2012, 04:07 AM
Sending major P&PT. As a fellow asthma sufferer, I hope your boy is breathing easier soon, and that you both get some rest.

Fairy
06-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Hope he's feeling better now. Obviously too late to change things now. My feelings are I commit myself to giving nebs every four hours as soon as a flare starts. If we leave the house, the neb goes with us. I set my alarm overnight. I find it easiest to give at 8-12-4 schedule.

I hate dealing w steroids. They make him impossible to deal w for a week. I hate putting them in his body bc I worry about the long term effects. My son just had another flare that started a week ago. I started nebs right away. Our dr makes me call before starting steroids, which I think is good. Last time we were able to do without them. This time he didn't respond well enough. I think it's good for them to be aware if he's needing steroids and they also may want to follow up. We've dealt w asthma for four years ( an I'm a nurse) before the asthma doc gave me steroids for home. We've had at least four ER visits where they've started steroids. They can give other medications to help open the airways, or give back to back treatments but they need to be monitored.

Hope you can get things under control!

Thank you, Teresah! I did get him under control, but htis is the worst one he's ever had. Lasted 3 weeks before we got him fully 100% symptom-free. He was on the sterroid for 3 days, and I almost continued another 2 days, but he was managed enough that I did the rest of the time with nebs. But he was on that nebulizer for 3 weeks. It sucks. We've only done the pred a handful of times (he's 7, been diagnosed since 16mo), but they certainly work immediately. His behavior was really good until the evening before his very last dose, and then he was completely nuts. It went away quickly, thank goodness. Anyway, I think this is all great advice, Teresah, thank you for replying!