PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for backyard grilling area - not outdoor kitchen

niccig
06-06-2012, 12:58 AM
In our backyard redo, we're going to put some extra flagstones we have to make an area for the grill to get it off the patio. For Father's day we bought a new grill. I'm trying to find other ideas for what we can do with this space and all I can find are outdoor kitchens. We are not building a kitchen with built-in grill, fridge, sink, dishwasher and counter space. All I want are some inspiration ideas for how to set up your patio/grill area when it's a regular grill on a cart.

I did see this idea from Martha Stewart to use a potting bench as an outdoor buffet/grill station which would give extra space by the grill. If we have the space, I'll get the bench and then stain it clear probably. http://www.marthastewart.com/355301/setting-grill-station#/349362 This is the potting bench http://www.amazon.com/Merry-Garden-MPG-PB01-Foldable-Potting/dp/B000W76SGG/ref=pd_sim_lg_1

Any other ideas? Thanks.

crl
06-06-2012, 01:08 AM
I found this cart on This Old House: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20505063_20980801,00.html

Catherine

smiles33
06-06-2012, 10:17 AM
We put up a patio umbrella near the grill so DH has some shade while grilling. We also picked up a tall outdoor "bar" from Cost Plus World market that he uses as a counter. Other than those 2 items, I can't think of anything else that would be a nice addition.

urquie
06-06-2012, 12:07 PM
We also picked up a tall outdoor "bar" from Cost Plus World market that he uses as a counter.

We need something like that! But it needs to be water resistant, with all our rain. Any one have a recommendation... especially something with a small footprint?

smiles33
06-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Ours is teak, so it's an ugly gray color now given all the rain and 7+ years but I'm too lazy to sand/strip/oil it back to its pretty initial color. I don't know what you can buy that would be waterproof and pretty (I keep picturing a plastic Little Tikes monstrosity!). :ROTFLMAO:

Giantbear
06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
as an avid BBQ'r, i would love some outdoor workspace to prep food as well as keep plates and utensils. I would also like a small fan to blow the smoke away from myself and give me a breeze on hot summer days. I hope your grill has a burner, i really miss that, running in to the stove top to make corn sucks.

niccig
06-06-2012, 01:21 PM
We put up a patio umbrella near the grill so DH has some shade while grilling. We also picked up a tall outdoor "bar" from Cost Plus World market that he uses as a counter. Other than those 2 items, I can't think of anything else that would be a nice addition.

I want something like a bar or a potting bench like this. In the reviews people use it as extra prep or serving space near the grill. I'll go check out Costplus http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3479106

An umbrella is a good idea too. We have one for the dining area, but we may need one by the grill too. We have lighting from a spotlight, but I'll get one of those clip on grill types too. I'm also looking at commercial string lights to hang up so we have more light to see by.

niccig
06-06-2012, 01:46 PM
as an avid BBQ'r, i would love some outdoor workspace to prep food as well as keep plates and utensils. I would also like a small fan to blow the smoke away from myself and give me a breeze on hot summer days. I hope your grill has a burner, i really miss that, running in to the stove top to make corn sucks.

I'm working on the workspace area. We have to see how much space we'll have, but hoping to find something that will work.

The new grill has a burner. DH is over the moon happy. Our current grill is 15+ years old.

We have the climate to spend more time outside, but we don't because the space isn't set up well. In trying to find ideas, all I can find are built in outdoor kitchens that we don't have the space or money to do - budget alternatives for people that like to grill is what I'm after. Thanks all for the ideas.

Giantbear
06-06-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm working on the workspace area. We have to see how much space we'll have, but hoping to find something that will work.

The new grill has a burner. DH is over the moon happy. Our current grill is 15+ years old.

We have the climate to spend more time outside, but we don't because the space isn't set up well. In trying to find ideas, all I can find are built in outdoor kitchens that we don't have the space or money to do - budget alternatives for people that like to grill is what I'm after. Thanks all for the ideas.

Can you post a picture of the space and grill?

niccig
06-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Can you post a picture of the space and grill?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/grillarea.jpg

It's still a garden bed. It's a 6' x 9' area that we're taking out the plants and will put down flagstones (have ones from another part of yard that we're making into lawn). It's from the left where you see the piled up plants waiting to be hauled away and until the edge of the fountain. We'll keep the vine along the wall, but will need to keep it trimmed. The fountain doesn't work (it does, but it's too much of a pain to keep clean), so I'm going to turn it into a planter (drill drainage holes, put in gravel then soil and plant annuals)

The grill is this one http://www.broilkingbbq.com/grills/imperial-series/imperial-490.html

The plan is to have the grill and then something as workspace like the bar PP posted about or the potting benches I've found. Might need to do them as a L shape with one along wall Maybe add an umbrella. There is a spotlight from the house that lights up this area (need to check how much gets light up) and thought could add in a clip on light and some string lights for underneath our umbrella a the table. There is an outlet by the fountain. Table is usually in middle of flagstone circle, that you just see the edge of, but it's put away for all the work we're doing.

My problem has been finding photos of people's grill areas that are not outdoor kitchens. We don't have the money to build something like that.

KLD313
06-06-2012, 06:28 PM
My dad had a raised platform area built out of stone and pavers in a corner of their outdoor patio, it looked really nice.

Giantbear
06-06-2012, 10:19 PM
I don't like either of your selections for the area you have, they would look nice against a wall, but in the space you have, you need something of more substance. A wooden built table dressed up with bamboo and some shelves underneath. Not too expensive, but fits in with the surroundings. If you can get a plumber cheap, have him take the water from the fountain and hook it to a sink for the table.

niccig
06-06-2012, 11:01 PM
I don't like either of your selections for the area you have, they would look nice against a wall, but in the space you have, you need something of more substance. A wooden built table dressed up with bamboo and some shelves underneath. Not too expensive, but fits in with the surroundings. If you can get a plumber cheap, have him take the water from the fountain and hook it to a sink for the table.

At costplus I saw a console table in this line - this picture is of the coffee table, so that but higher and longer and shelf underneath, it was 48" long. http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3557834 - something more like this?

I think a regular table might be too big for the space - too wide and too long.

I think the table will have to get on the side jutting out from the wall and not against the wall, as the grill will go that way. I do like the potting benches, but do think they need to be against the wall - and one is sold out and the other has to be bought sight unseen, so not keen on that.

No piped water for the fountain, you fill it with the hose. Electricity is there though and at some point might see if electrician can hard wire lights. DH wants a hot tub on other side of fountain at some point and will need more electrical work done then, so it'll wait until then.

Oh, all those plants in the photo are going, losing the giant bird of paradise palms by the fountain etc, so from the fountain on the right to the blue flagstone on left, it will be all flagstone. The vines on the wall will stay, the big palm in background is neighbour's so that stays. We'll finish cleaning the area out this Saturday and then we'll have better idea of what will fit.

ETA. I looked at the Ana White plans - her potting bench minus the top shelf part is more substantial. I do like the look of this, I'd not put on the top shelf, but don't have a circular saw to cut to length, though do have a friend who is willing to help out on projects. Could even make it a little wider, her plan is 20". http://ana-white.com/2011/03/simple-potting-bench

niccig
06-06-2012, 11:04 PM
My dad had a raised platform area built out of stone and pavers in a corner of their outdoor patio, it looked really nice.

Raised platform is an idea, not sure if we can do that.

urquie
06-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Ours is teak, so it's an ugly gray color now given all the rain and 7+ years but I'm too lazy to sand/strip/oil it back to its pretty initial color. I don't know what you can buy that would be waterproof and pretty (I keep picturing a plastic Little Tikes monstrosity!). :ROTFLMAO:

Oh, that sounds perfect... It would match my 10 yr old, ugly gray... I mean natural, teak table and chairs. :) Too bad we sold our little tikes tables - the table top size would be perfect!

urquie
06-07-2012, 01:27 PM

Giantbear - are you grilling or smoking? We are new to smoking and would love to hear about any favorite recipes or rubs! Maybe I should start a new thread. :)

Giantbear
06-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Giantbear - are you grilling or smoking? We are new to smoking and would love to hear about any favorite recipes or rubs! Maybe I should start a new thread. :)
i am mostly grilling, but my football site is big on smoking, i can get some good rubs for smoking. There is one brisket rub that is great, but it takes about 12 hours

urquie
06-07-2012, 01:44 PM
i am mostly grilling, but my football site is big on smoking, i can get some good rubs for smoking. There is one brisket rub that is great, but it takes about 12 hours

I'd love it, thank you so much!

We picked up a Traeger, at Costco, and are loving it! We do use it to grill as well (pizza, chicken and burgers, in the last week) but we'd like to try out more smoking... but that means I need to do it, since DH gets home too late. The one thing I've smoked, was a (11 hour) fabulous pork shoulder... but I think I can do better. :)

pinay
06-07-2012, 02:43 PM
I'd love it, thank you so much!

We picked up a Traeger, at Costco, and are loving it! We do use it to grill as well (pizza, chicken and burgers, in the last week) but we'd like to try out more smoking... but that means I need to do it, since DH gets home too late. The one thing I've smoked, was a (11 hour) fabulous pork shoulder... but I think I can do better. :)

My early bday/Father's Day present to DH was a Traeger from Costco too- we haven't had a chance to use it yet, but he's hoping to smoke a chicken on it next weekend :)

urquie
06-07-2012, 04:29 PM
My early bday/Father's Day present to DH was a Traeger from Costco too.

Ours is also an early father's day present! :)