PDA

View Full Version : Sun exposure and your skin. (I may skip the sunroof next time)

infomama
06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
This is a really good example of how the sun can damage our skin over the years
www.fox13now.com/2012/06/06/chronic-sun-exposure-damages-truckers-skin-through-glass/

fauve01
06-06-2012, 12:50 PM
that is astonishing! thanks for posting. i forwarded to DH who hardly ever applies sunscreen to himself (only when dd forces him or does it for him!).

wellyes
06-06-2012, 12:54 PM
I saw that before and I totally believe it. I have the beginnings of wrinkles only on the side of my face next to the passenger window (my usual seat).

DrSally
06-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Wow! I was at the beach today w/ a broad spectrum sunscreen on, and I got vey tan. I wasn't happy. Although, I should have reapplied before going out.

ourbabygirl
06-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Wow, so sad- thanks for sharing. Good reminder to slather on the sunscreen, even before car rides!

crl
06-07-2012, 01:41 AM
Thanks for the visual. Ds, nearly nine years old, has been asking me why I make him wear sunscreen every time we go outside.

Catherine

cckwmh
06-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Wow! I was at the beach today w/ a broad spectrum sunscreen on, and I got vey tan. I wasn't happy. Although, I should have reapplied before going out.

That is because "broad spectrum" is a lie. Currently, as long as there is any, even 1 minute of UVA protection in the formulation, the sunscreen can say broad spectrum. There is a new law that was suppose to take place later this month that will change the labeling. Some companies have until september to comply.

The new labels will still have an SPF number, which states the UVB coverage, but in order to use the term broad spectrum, the amount of UVA coverage will have to be atleast equivalent, if not greater, than the UVB coverage. There will also be a time listed for water exposure. For example, the label will say this product must be reappled after 40 minutes if swimming or exposure to water.

It is a good start, but we still need to develop a UVA rating system. People think they are covered with high SPF numbers or "broad spectrum", but the damage is still being done.