PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE #9: anyone's 2 yr. old have glasses?

AnnieW625
06-06-2012, 01:34 PM
This could be completely nothing, but DD2's dcp suggested that we have DD2's eyes checked (and honestly since both DH and DD1 have glasses and needed them before the age of 5 I kind of knew it would be a possibility) and she has an appt. tomorrow morning. So if your 2 yr. old has glasses which ones does he or she have?

Excuse me if I am being vain :bag, but I would like to avoid glasses like these Solo Bambini ones (http://www.solobambini.com/products.php?products_line_id=1), but if that is what works best then so be it I guess.

Thanks so much!

Gena
06-06-2012, 01:56 PM
DS started wearing glasses at age 2. His first couple of pairs were made by PEZ (yes, like the candy). They have a lot of really cute styles.

It can be really hard to fit glasses when kids are so young. I suggest you take her to a place that specializes in kids' glasses. They will generally have the best selection and be knowledgeable on how to fit them.

Good Luck!

ETA: Little Four Eyes is a great resource for anyone with little kids in glasses: http://littlefoureyes.com/ (http://littlefoureyes.com/)
They have a "Just starting out" page here: http://littlefoureyes.com/2009/03/02/just-starting-out/

TwinFoxes
06-06-2012, 02:16 PM
No BTDT, but I think those solo bambini ones are totally cute!

let73
06-06-2012, 02:38 PM
DD started wearing her glasses at 2 1/2. The person in the optical shop at our children's hospital recommended these since they were sturdy. Not the most stylish but they were pretty cute on her.
http://www.fisher-price.com/us/products/product_noscript.asp?id=66&media=767574&history=2

She upgraded to a more stylish set of frames at age 4 1/2.

sunshine873
06-06-2012, 02:53 PM
DD just got hers (she's 3) and I really struggled with it, so I understand how you're feeling. Like you - I came here for support. The "little four eyes" site was recommended to me & helped.

As for the "vanity" you're experiencing, I felt the exact same way. A big part of my struggles revolved around the fact that DD would look so different with glasses (and lets just admit it - I was used to people commenting on how cute she was & it broke my heart for her to become the little girl with glasses.) So, I decided for my sanity at the beginning, I would try to get her a pair that I at least thought looked cute too. I was willing to pay more and possibly start with some that were less sturdy so I would be able to get used to the idea of "my baby" wearing glasses.

We ended up at Costco with a pair of "Dora" metal frames that I thought looked cute on her. The frames were bent & the lenses were scratched within the first 24 hours, yet I don't regret buying them one bit. The tiny little Dora sticker had DD so excited that she was willing to wear them & I needed the cute frames. Vain? Yes. But that's a fact. Thankfully we also bought a pair of memory frame glasses for backup. She wore the Dora glasses (scratches & all) for about 2 weeks before we switched over to the backup pair, which are still metal frames, but much sturdier. She's gotten used to the glasses & isn't near as rough on them as she was those first few days.

I just had to respond because it's sounding like you're very much where I was about a month ago & I wanted to let you know that you're not alone. Good luck tomorrow!

AnnieW625
06-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Thank you for the responses.

I am not worried at all, if DD2 needs them I will actually be relieved because I have noticed that since she was an infant sometimes things just seem a little off in her tracking and focus issues. DH has said he probably should have gotten glasses at 2 or vs. almost 6 and so in this case the sooner the better.

I looked more into the Solo Bambini site and they do have some cuter less clunky glasses, and I found a local shop that specializes in children and they keep a brand called Mira Flex, which have some styles which look a little more stylish as well, but are the flexible frame as well. Our optometrist could also have some other small kid brands as well, but they just don't keep them out.

Gena, thanks for the Little Four Eyes site. I think I might have looked at that when DD1 first got her glasses.

Sunshine what brand are the glasses your daughter is wearing now?

chays
06-07-2012, 10:09 PM
I refused to put DS2 in toddler glasses. He started wearing glasses just before his 2nd birthday. We got him cable backs - which I think are really important at that age. Get the insurance - we went through several pairs in the first month. DS1 would have never taken them off his face even at that age...but he started wearing glasses at 5. DS2 is a little different!!! He is willing to wear them most of the time now, 8 months later.

These are the glasses that he has...we looked at Flexon, but they didn't fit him right. I would have preferred flexon due to the durability factor.

http://www.europaeye.com/catalog/catalog_product1.asp?p_id=824&p_collection=db4k&p_collection_id=14

lmh2402
06-07-2012, 10:15 PM
DS got his first pair a few days before his 2nd birthday. i honestly don't know the brand, but we went to a well-regarded local optical store and they basically told us they only carried two brands (again, don't remember what they were/are) that they reco' in such young children.

we got the first pair right before his second birthday and he scratched the lenses twice in during the first 8 months, i think. store replaced them free of charge.

he then broke an arm right before his 3rd birthday. so in all i was really happy with how well they held up

again, frame was replaced free of charge. but we did buy a second pair - went with other of the two companies. so now we always have a backup and they are both super durable

and DS LOVES both his pair of glasses. and they both look super cute on him :heartbeat:

so i would definitely suggest talking to a local store owner and seeing what they suggest

ETA: one thing though, they are definitely not cheap. but for us, given that they are repaired/replaced whenever there seems to be an issue, and that they seem really durable...AND that they look so cute...it just makes it all worth the expense.

AnnieW625
06-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Well we went to the optometrist today and DD2 is near sighted in one eye, far sighted in the other eye, and has astigmatism in both eyes.

Our optometrist didn't have a huge selection of glasses for children under the age of say 5. They had one pair that fit well, and could have ordered more, but I thought it was best to go to the store that specialized in childrens eye wear. The optician was great and she didn't even suggest the Miraflex or the Solo Bambini glasses and went right to metal and plastic frames. We ended up selecting these frames, and they will have the rounded back as well. They have springs at the temple.
http://www.eyewearexpress.com/pics/shrek_SFCINDY.jpg

The glasses come with a 1 yr. warranty and a $20 repair fee for any repairs after that time period, including scratches. The total price of the glasses was $285, the polycarbonite lenses which included Transitions were the bulk of the price of the glasses, $245. Since we went to an out of network shop we didn't get the full $75 off the price of the frames (although you have to pay a $25 co pay so it is really only $50 savings, and the lenses might have been a bit cheaper, but not sure how much and I really liked this place), but got $70 in out of network benefits and didn't have to pay a co pay. The shop also gave me $40 off of the glasses, so I saved $115 off of the full price of the glasses. The nice thing is that if I end up deciding to get her a back up pair I can always just use the insurance to get them and get a basic frame and basic lenses without Transitions and such and not have to pay much more than $50 or $60 OOP.

citymama
06-08-2012, 12:55 AM
I'm sure she will be adorable in them and it's so important to have the vision correction as early as possible. I sometimes feel wistful when I see DD1 in her glasses (especially when they slide down her nose and she looks a little goofy squinting thru them) knowing what a beautiful face and huge brown eyes are hidden behind those glasses. No matter. She needs them. She has no vanity about them and she will always be beautiful with or without them.

Congrats on getting her tested and getting the new glasses!