PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii/Maui goers- what to do?

elektra
06-06-2012, 02:47 PM
I am a regular in Kauai but this year we are stopping in Maui for a few days first. Any recs on what we should do?
The kids are newly 5 and 3. I think I would like to try a few things that are either unique to Maui or things that are very different from Kauai.

If our place has a good pool (or even if it doesn't probably) it will be a given that we will have pool time but what else?

Any specific beach recs?

Restaurants?

My dad and brother are recommending a booze cruise, whale watching, and the aquarium. I actually always love those harbor sunset booze cruises so I think that is something we should do- it looks like it's kid-friendly too based on the website. (It will be my first time trying it with kids though. :/

I did some searching of old posts and it looks like the aquarium is a common recommendation.

lizzywednesday
06-06-2012, 02:55 PM
I <3 the aquarium. The best part for me was seeing the sea turtles in the open tanks in the courtyard, but I also enjoyed the "native culture" exhibits a great deal, too.

Also, you MUST try Aloha Mixed Plate, behind the Lahaina Cannery Mall, between Lahaina Town and Ka'anipali. (Website: http://www.alohamixedplate.com/)

Service is slow but friendly, the food is great, though humble, and they often have drink specials. Oh, and they've got a lovely view of the beach!

The owners also run the Old Lahaina Luau, which is recommended in a lot of guidebooks ... and we missed out on because DH didn't realize how popular it would be. (He promised to go next time.)

If you will be there on a Saturday, hit the Maui Swap Meet, near the airport in Kihei. For the best pickings, get there early (they open at 7am) and enjoy the vendors. Admission is $0.50 for everyone 12 and older, so it'll cost you $1 to get in. (Website: http://www.mauiexposition.com/MAUISWAPMEET.html)

We didn't really go to the beach (DH is not a beach person) but the ones we drove past were lovely.

Kindra178
06-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Whale watching is fun.

codex57
06-06-2012, 02:59 PM
This is why I don't like Maui. Well, I like it, I just don't think it's all that fun. It's sort of like the compromise btw Oahu and Kuaui, but it's not really good in any way.

I thought the Aquarium was really boring. My son didn't really enjoy it. He enjoys other aquariums, but didn't really seem interested in the one on Maui. As for me, I thought the best part of the aquarium was the gift shop. And it's not a special gift shop.

Wasn't too impressed with the Road to Hana either. Honestly, I think whale watching could be fun. Otherwise, maybe the trip up the volcano? Otherwise, at their age, just play on the beach. The area right below the Sheraton in Ka'anapoli is quite cool.

For the adults, definitely don't miss Warren and Annabelle's. It's a magic show essentially. Wasn't too impressed with Annabelle, but Warren was simply fabulous. He's reason enough to go to Maui.

lcarlson90
06-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Last time we were there we stayed at the Sheraton in Kaanapali and the beach in front of the hotel was nice but very crowded. We enjoyed the road to Hana but I don't think it would be very fun with two little ones. We also really liked driving up to the top of the volcano and just taking in the amazing view. Honestly with the ages of your kids I would probably just stick to hanging out at the pool/beach and shopping. Have fun.

AnnieW625
06-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Old Lahaina Luau is suppose to be the best. Book it now, it books up really quickly.

I would skip the road to Hana, not fun for the kids and if it rains not much fun for anyone because none of the shops are open (this happened when we went, but DH and I still wanted something to do so we drove it ourselves).

The volcano was fun, but cold, don't forget a sweatshirt.

We ate mainly at local places we found driving around. I don't really remember the name, but one of them is currently the top ranked sushi restaurant in Kihei on Yelp.com. Our nice dinner was at Roy's, but they have one in the OC so I would probably chose something else (we didn't live in the OC then).

We found a nice non crowded beach in between Kihei and Lahaina. I don't even think it had a name. It was right near a post office. However with kids it is probably easier to just deal with the hotel beach and or pool.

eta: if you like your accomodations please let me know where you stay. We'd love to take a repeat trip and stay at the Fairmont Kea Lani again, but I don't think that is going to happen, esp. if the price of air fare is sky high (although being non parents then I found it to be very kid friendly, but still nice and romantic). :shake:

new_mom_mry
06-06-2012, 05:30 PM
If you are going at the peak of the whale season, then definitely go whale watching. Not sure if you are staying on Kanaapali Beach or not, but if so, check out the free hula show at Whaler's Village. The Hula Grill and the adjacent Barefoot Bar are nice, family-friendly restaurants with live music, awesome adult drinks, and crayons for kids of course. Check out the banyan tree in downtown Lahaina. I would also consider doing a snorkeling boat trip to Molokini gives your kids' ages. Four Winds is a super family friendly boat, and your kids could always use the special boards with viewing areas if they are too young to snorkel independently. In fact, if you are going during the peak of the whale season, then you will likely see whales during the snorkeling trip, so it will be a two for one of sorts. When we were in Maui on our honeymoon, we did a beautiful rainforest hike with Hike Maui. There was a little girl with her parents in our group who was seriously brave enough to jump into waterfalls, so also consider doing a hike. Oh, also check out the Sea House restaurant in Kapalua for their happy hour specials. Super family friendly and location cannot be beat. We just got back from Maui a few weeks ago. We stayed at the Marriott Ocean Club, which I highly recommend if you haven't booked a place yet (their restaurant, Longboards, is another fun dining establishment right on the sand, so your kids can play nearby while you dine).

GaPeach_in_Ca
06-06-2012, 05:36 PM
We had a lot of fun on our trip in April. We did a whale watch, hike to the blowhole, looked at the "dragon's teeth", went to our own little waterfall (part way on road to Hana), played by the banyan tree, etc...

We stayed North of Kannapali. Snorkeling was great right out in front of our hotel! (Honua Kai) We just rented (and have in the past) the el cheapo snorkel weekly rental from Snorkel Bob.

We also went to a beach down South that we liked, near the Grand Waliea, that area. Can't remember what it's called.

Two places we liked were:
Star Noodle (http://www.yelp.com/biz/star-noodle-lahaina) and Java Jazz/Soup Nutz (http://www.yelp.com/biz/java-jazz-and-soup-nutz-lahaina). We went to both of these at least twice.

We had a really good meal at Mama's Fish House, with the kids even. Although $19 for a kids meal is pushing my comfort zone. We also went to Lahaina Mixed Plate, not my thing. Oh, and we went to Hula Grill. It was okay.

ETA. We went to Soup Nutz/Java Jazz for breakfast. I cannot vouch for dinner. :) We could walk there from our hotel and they had good coffee as well as very interesting decor. Always a plus.
It was a really great vacation and we all loved it. DS1 has requested the exact same vacation next year.

jenmcadams
06-06-2012, 06:51 PM
We took our kids (ages 6 & 9) in December. We stayed up near Napili (past Kaanapali) and had a great time. Napili beach is my favorite beach, but there are lots of great options. We spent a ton of time just hanging out at the beach.

Non-Beach Excursions

We did the aquarium and liked it. We also ziplined (North Shore Ziplines near Paia), kids took surfing lessons (Goofy Foot Surf School) and did a snorkeling trip that left from Kaanapali run by Trilogy.

Restaurants
We loved Hula Grill & Duke's (both run by the same company). We also did one meal at Roy's and did a lot of cheaper casual stuff (actually really liked the Maui Brewing Company).

I would probably skip the road to Hana with kids (we did). You could always drive a little ways up (we went to the first set of Falls just past Paia the day that we ziplined).

There's also some great hiking in Maui, but we personally prefer the hiking in Kauai to Maui.

AshUVA
06-06-2012, 07:05 PM
I would suggest looking into to a condo instead of a hotel. I found an AWESOME one on vrbo.com when we went 3 years ago. It was the same price as a hotel and we got a kitchen, laundry, and the owners even provided a cooler, umbrella, boogie board, etc for the beach. I think its a pefect set-up when you are traveling with kids. Watch out though because many of the places charge an additional cleaning fee!

lizzywednesday
06-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Honestly, we ate at both Mama's Fish House and Pacific'O and much preferred our meal at Pacific'O to Mama's. (The guy who owns Pacific'O also owns the Feast at Lele, I think, which is right next door. It's another luau; we saw some of the performers running to their places along the beach that night. It was kind of cool.)

The view alone was wonderful - Pacific'O is right on the beach at Lahaina. Mama's has a lovely view ... but we were seated inside. We snapped a photo of the beach there at Pa'ia, but that's about the only thing DH really liked about it.

If I had to pick just one, I'd go to Pacific'O before I went to Mama's!

lcarlson90
06-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Honestly, we ate at both Mama's Fish House and Pacific'O and much preferred our meal at Pacific'O to Mama's. (The guy who owns Pacific'O also owns the Feast at Lele, I think, which is right next door. It's another luau; we saw some of the performers running to their places along the beach that night. It was kind of cool.)

The view alone was wonderful - Pacific'O is right on the beach at Lahaina. Mama's has a lovely view ... but we were seated inside. We snapped a photo of the beach there at Pa'ia, but that's about the only thing DH really liked about it.

If I had to pick just one, I'd go to Pacific'O before I went to Mama's!

We went to Pacific'O and we loved it. It was our best meal in Maui.

mom2one
06-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Our place was right near Dukes. We ate there about 6 times. Such great food and you are practically on the beach. Our other favorite is Mama Fish House. You will probably need reservations at both, unless you go at an off time - like 4pm.

We took our DS on a whale watching tour, submarine tour, aquarium, we hiked to the blow hole, we went on two helicopter tours, we did the old lahania luau was really good (you can also make your own reservations online.) Loved the shops in lahania. the more in advance you make your reservations, the better the seat you will have. We also did another hike, but I am drawing a blank.

We loved everything about maui! It was the best vacation we have ever had. We also stayed at a condo - full kitchen, and washer and dryer. Can't wait to go back.

Susan

PS- I wish someone had given us this tip- if you are planning on cooking in a lot bring these simple things with you from home - salt/pepper and your favorite seasonings. A woman I met there said she wished she had packed a couple of boxes of pasta. The prices there are very high!

Zansu
06-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Are you staying in South Maui/Kihei or West Maui/Lahaina/Kanapaali?

Sushi place from pp is probably Sansei, two locations, one south and one west.

If you're doing West Maui, I can give you plenty of info (or search my old threads).

zag95
06-07-2012, 01:46 AM
I'd do the Old Lahaina Luau- could be really fun.

Mama's Fish house is another great dining option.

I'd check with Snorkel Bob's and see where the best snorkeling locations are. We did it all over Maui. I've heard Makena beach is supposed to be beautiful- we didn't make it there.

We did a snorkel trip over to Lanai- I'd see if you could do one or a whale watch trip.

You could go up to the Iao Valley and walk around and look at plants, etc. You could stop at the Sugar Factory or a Pineapple plantation.

I'd look online- when we were in Maui they published a book for tourists- 101 things to visit on Maui- Im' sure some are geared for the kiddos.

Definitely get some good ice cream in Lahaina!
Have fun!

elektra
06-07-2012, 02:06 AM
This is great info, thanks! I know so little about Maui! Looks like we are staying at the Kaanapali Beach Club, which looks like West Maui.
Both DH and I are very senstive to any kind of motion sickness so neither of us really want to do the road to Hana.
We do like plate lunch places, good restaurants, beaches, shopping, relaxing..... so a lot of these suggestions are right up our alley. :)

Nyfeara
06-07-2012, 08:03 AM
The Old Lahaina Luau is definitely a must do - but as others have said, reserve in advance.

We stayed at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel (pre-kids) and would do that again with kids. They have so many free activities on-site that the kids would enjoy. They have free hula lessons and music & hula every night.

We liked the aquarium as well.

ilfaith
06-07-2012, 11:50 AM
We liked the aquarium (especially the jellyfish) and the sugar cane train. We also took a catamaran cruise which was a lot of fun. DS1 got carsick on the Road to Hana and DS2 slept for most of the drive, so I would advise skipping it. My boys were just 4 and almost 2, so we didn't do the volcano. We stayed at the Westin and the boys lived feeding the fish and birds.