PDA

View Full Version : For fun: wifely advice

123LuckyMom
06-06-2012, 06:16 PM
The daughter of a family friend is getting married, and the shower hosts are making a scrapbook for her of advice for success in her new married state. What advice would you give? One of mine is:

It is better to be happy than to be right.

LMPC
06-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Always let him think it was his idea :)

poppy
06-06-2012, 07:04 PM
“Love forgets mistakes; nagging about them parts the best of friends.”
Pr. 17:9 (LB)

From last week's sermon by Pastor Rick Warren

rin
06-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Accept that he needs to be able to do as much as possible his own way, e.g. pick your battles. In the great scheme of things, it really doesn't matter if your child wears mismatched stripes to school or eats jarred spaghetti sauce with elbow mac every time it's his turn to make dinner. If you make yourself the gatekeeper, you'll just end up making him never want to do anything having to do with childcare, and then you'll be dressing the kids and making dinner 100% of the time.

It's always nice to just out-of-the-blue ask him what you could do to make this day better for him. (Hopefully he occasionally does the same for you!)

Listen when he tells you something. Expect him to listen to you.

Don't escalate a fight; if he's angry, wait until he calms down before trying to discuss it. This might mean getting out of the house for a while.

Make sure to give each other lots of hugs and kisses and more. Touching and snuggling and what-have-you almost always improves a relationship!

alexsmommy
06-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Communication + compromise = continued connection

waitingforgrace
06-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Make time for one another.

AnnieW625
06-06-2012, 08:28 PM
"There are those who think of things the way they are, and say why... and I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" Robert F. Kennedy

This is one of my favorite quotes ever and I think while he was not talking about marriage in general I think it makes a lot sense in regards to marriage. Maybe it is the optimist in me but I think it is a great quote.

Biblical wise I like bits and pieces of the Book of Sirach.

KrisM
06-06-2012, 08:30 PM
If your husband offers to do something that is typically your job, just thank him and let him do it, even if he does it "wrong". If you complain, he may never do it again.