PDA

View Full Version : Maclarens..... long

3sweetgirls
06-06-2012, 06:38 PM
I loove Maclaren's. I currently have a Triumph and a Ryder, I've owned about two dozen types of strollers and half of those have been Maclaren's--Volo's, Triumphs, Quests, Ryders and the twin strollers. It seems my favorite has been the Triumph but because my most recent baby (17 mos.) loves her stroller and is the 1st baby to sleep in them, I go back on forth on which Mac I like best for her.

The Ryder
the good:

--Baby can lay flat with feet up on the legrest when she sleeps. It's like a bed on wheels which I love!

--The push...amazing and effortless. Easier to push with the older 4 and 6 year old than the Triumph. Also liked the less bumpy ride it provided (outdoors) for dd when she was a newborn and small infant.

--I've never seen this mentioned before, but the seat is the most upright seat than the other Mac's I've owned. DD doesn't ever try to pull herself forward and this also makes the basket sooo easily accessible. I can put my Vera tote in it no problem. When I had the Quest I did notice the seat was more upright than the Triumph's seat, but not us much as the Ryder's. The basket is slightly less accessible on the Quest than on the Ryder but more accessible than the Triumph.

--The hood, I love the pocket for my keys and cell and I love the peek a boo window which is useful when dd sleeps. The hood is just long enough for the bright TX sun. I measured it at 19" The Triumph's hood is 17'' and practically useless here.

The bad
It seems every time I decide I love the Ryder and take it somewhere indoors it gets stuck somewhere. Today was one of those days. I took it to the nail salon because I knew dd would sleep and would be comfy but it was so hard to maneuever. I guess it didn't actually get stuck, but I was running into everything. Granted, it was a small nail salon and it was crowded but even when I've taken it to a public restroom or up and down curbs or through doorways or to the restaurant I went to for lunch later, it was incredibly difficult to manever without running into something. Even my friend (w/o kids) struggled with it when she pushed it and said she was crashing into everything. I felt bad that I took the wrong stroller. It almost doesn't make sense to me, it's an umbrella and a Mac, but it happens every time at some point and it makes me frustrated that I brought it. This never happens with the Triumph. It's almost like the bigger wheels cause this and it's unavoidable regardless of the fact that it is a narrow umbrella. It's like the wheels don't want to go the right way. I remember this happened with a my very 1st stroller, a Chico umbrella, on a bus in Edmonton. I couldn't push the stroller through the bus aisle without hitting every single (bus) seat. I couldn't get through quickly enough through that aisle and I felt eyes glaring at me the entire way out. This resulted in me researching strollers for the first time which led me to my 1st Mac Triumph purchase ever 5 years ago. I've also owned two Ryders and ran into the same issue with both, so I know it's not a defect. Has anyone else noticed this with their Ryders or with their bigger wheeled Maclarens?

The Triumph
the good
--compact
--nimble (comparable to the Bee, if that is even possible)
--has never let me down. I never get stuck with it like I did with the Bee and it can get me through most situations.
the bad
--not a rolling bed.:ROTFLMAO: DD just seems more comfy in the Ryder with the legrest, the flat recline, and deeper seat.
--not a shady enough hood
--tippy

Anyway, my reason for posting is to ask for advice on which Mac to take on a trip at the end of the month. I'm also considering replacing my Four Seasons with the newest Mac Quest, but I love, love all the accesorries on my Ryder and don't love the two toned colored Quests. I also tried the the newest Quest at BBB and feel positive that the Triumph is easier to maneuver than the new Quest and that the Triumph was also easier to manuever than the red spot Quest I once owned. I feel crazy even typing that because I know the Triumph and the Quest are on the same chassis, but since I've owned both simultaneously and owned 5 Triumphs, I am confident that the push, maneueverabilty is slightly different between the two. I am guessing maybe it is the extra weight of the Quest. But because of this it may not make sense to replace the Ryder with the Quest that may not maneuver as easily as the Triumph anyway.

So we are flying to CA and spending most of our time in Pismo Beach. I previously took the Bee minus which I no longer own and it worked perfect for my needs then. I pushed it on the boardwalk, on sidewalks, took it into a very small restaurant and small shops with ease, and I gate checked it and got it through the airport just fine.

Based on what I have written about the Ryder it seems I should just take the Triumph instead since DD does afterall sleep in it just fine. But, we will be strolling a lot during the day and the stroller will be her napping place. Also, I'm going to a kind of late dinner party with DH at someone's house and last year DD napped in the Bee in a room for part of the time. She'd never sleep on someone's bed or the floor but she would in her stroller.

If I take the Ryder I will most likely end up leaving it parked outside the small shops and restaurants. I'm not sure how I feel about that partly because I don't want to leave it behind and partly because if DD happens to be asleep I'll have to wait till she wakes up to shop or eat. Though I did see this often in Boston and Cambridge because it was impossible for masses of people to take their strollers to storytime for instance, so I often saw a parade of strollers outside shops. Loved that!:p How else could I admire lots of great strollers all at once?!

or

I could just take the Triumph or buy the new Quest (with the flat recline) and sell the Four seasons. It will suck that the un-accessorized new Quest will cost more than the fully loaded Four Seasons cost me and will likely sell for. :(

I should mention that I will take the baby carrier but DD doesn't sleep in it. She's content in it and happily rides in it but she'd never nap in it. :( Weird, my older 2 dd's didn't sleep in the stroller but did sleep in carriers.

I should also mention that I like having two lightweight singles. One stays in dh's car and when we travel with all 3 dd's we like to take two singles instead of a double.

So, sorry this was so long but I would greatly appreciate advice on what Mac to take.

hollissmama
06-06-2012, 11:54 PM
I vote Ryder, I always go for comfort for the babe over push/size for me. When my kiddo is happy and comfortable in the stroller I am happy. Which is why we take our Vista everywhere (although I am thinking of a Mac techno) But yes on vacation I think the Ryder will be better for naps which are super important IMO.