PDA

View Full Version : Needs ideas for present for second-time mom recovering from tough birth

citymama
06-07-2012, 03:38 PM
(warning - alarming birth story mentioned)

A dear friend of mine just gave birth to her second baby. After an easy delivery she had some post partum complications and nearly didn't make it. I have a baby and big sister present all ready to send them but I really want to send her something as well - something useful, rather than a pampered mom type gift. She lives out in the country, very far from any family. Ideally I would like to fly out and spend a week helping out, doing their laundry and changing newborn diapers but they live too far away and I can't afford the time away from my kids or money to do that. What would be a way to help from far away? A gc for food delivery? I am not familiar with where they live at all but I could ask her DH for a recommendation. Packaged food items? She is very weak and spending a lot of time in bed. She had some PPD with DC1, not sure if that's recurring. :( Luckily she has a gem of a DH and his sister is there to help out.

I would love any suggestions. Thanks!

karstmama
06-07-2012, 05:14 PM
any chance to go in with some of her other (local) friends for a postpartum doula / nurse? seems like she'd need some rest. or a weekly housecleaning for a month?

misshollygolightly
06-07-2012, 07:10 PM
You can check the Schwan's website to see if they'll deliver to her, then get her a GC for them: http://www.schwans.com/

mctlaw
06-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Without getting into details, I am having some serious issues right now (but nothing life threatening) after having DS2 on Monday. Some wonderful relatives are stepping in to help but absent that either help with food or help with child care (either for the infant or an older child) are the sorts of things that help out here. I wouldn't feel comfortable with strangers in cleaning my house though-too many medical or otherwise personal things going on right now.

citymama
06-07-2012, 07:20 PM
thanks ladies - both great suggestions. i'll ask her dh if they have a pp doula and if we might be able to help extend her stay. schwan's does deliver in her zip code - i've never heard of them before, but food delivery is always a nice thing.