PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever lied on the BBB?

wellyes
06-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Just curious.
Poll coming!! Anonymous, of course :)

wellyes
06-07-2012, 07:01 PM
50 views, 10 answerers. C'mon don't be shy!

MelissaTC
06-07-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm honest, even online. :)

mommylamb
06-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I can't think of an instance of fibbing.

citymama
06-07-2012, 07:23 PM
I've changed the identity or location of people to protect identities ;) usually, in the BP or in response to another BP! For some bizarre and illogical reason, I worry that someone I've dissed in my comments will chance upon this forum and recognize themselves. Paranoid, much?

Dcclerk
06-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Can you give some examples of what someone would lie about? I can't think of anything that would even make sense to lie about.

TwinFoxes
06-07-2012, 07:25 PM
I can't think of an instance of fibbing.

:yeahthat: I'm trying to think of one. I may have fibbed about DDs' names or initials. But I'm not even sure about that. If anything I'm a little too honest!!

BabyDahl
06-07-2012, 07:26 PM
I've changed the identity or location of people to protect identities ;) usually, in the BP or in response to another BP! For some bizarre and illogical reason, I worry that someone I've dissed in my comments will chance upon this forum and recognize themselves. Paranoid, much?

:yeahthat:

Minor facts have been changed to protect identities, but nothing I've said in my meager 200+ posts would constitute lying.

mariza
06-07-2012, 07:26 PM
I am boring and have no secret double life. Now, if you asked if I ever lied about the boards to my IRL friends, then that would be a hell yes :rotflmao:

wellyes
06-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Can you give some examples of what someone would lie about? I can't think of anything that would even make sense to lie about.

On the one end is portraying your life to be more virtuous or picture perfect than reality - "we only eat organic" etc.

On the other end is exaggerating your life drama out of desire for sympathy, or out of boredom.

I personally considering making up anecdotes to be lying. "I would never _______. My cousin did and [something horrible happened]!" when really, you imagine this could happen, and want to warn the poster.

Or someone here is a naked fat old man who really likes to chitchat about handbags and pretends to fit in :ROTFLMAO:

Stuff like that.

twowhat?
06-07-2012, 07:37 PM
I've simplified (not for the intention of lying, just to shorten what I'm trying to type out, sort of a leaving out what I feel are extraneous details - does that count??) and changed minor details to protect identity (though anyone who knows me would be able to figure me out real quick here I think...it's hard to not share some personal details because you guys are so awesome).

Kymberley
06-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I wish half of the threads I've started over the years were lies. Does that count?

JustMe
06-07-2012, 07:40 PM
No. I don't include details that are too personal (sometimes anyway), and that I don't think it would be fair to others to post...but nothing that makes what I say a lie. I cant imagine needing to do so, to be honest.

elektra
06-07-2012, 07:46 PM
I am glad I never lied because I have met some BBB'ers in real life and they would be able to call me out!
I can see how people would be tempted to lie about dumb little things or even big things. I mean it can be pretty much anonymous with some exceptions. If I was a movie star I could hide that fact and just post about babyfood and breastfeeding, leaving out the details about my love scenes with George Clooney. Or I could completely fabricate some life, filled with drama, that I want to post about here for whatever reason.
I definitely have omitted things, but I can't actually think of something I lied about.

missym
06-07-2012, 07:54 PM

:yeahthat: Though I'm oddly not as paranoid about my own personal info, I feel funny posting about people I might work with, etc. So I'll change some details in those cases.

Seitvonzu
06-07-2012, 07:54 PM
i couldn't even imagine a reason to lie or exagerrate...but now i'm curious if anyone really is a celebrity? ;)

Globetrotter
06-07-2012, 08:01 PM
I voted no but city mama reminded me that I do change identifying facts and details, for the reason she cited!

trales
06-07-2012, 08:16 PM
I am intentionally vague about details about friends and stuff, but not me or my family.

elliput
06-07-2012, 08:22 PM
If at some point along the way I gave you all the impression that I am a former Victoria Secret model, then yeah, I lied.

musicalgrl
06-07-2012, 08:33 PM
i couldn't even imagine a reason to lie or exagerate...but now I'm curious if anyone really is a celebrity? ;)

egoldber
06-07-2012, 08:35 PM
I've simplified (not for the intention of lying, just to shorten what I'm trying to type out, sort of a leaving out what I feel are extraneous details - does that count??) and changed minor details to protect identity

I have occasionally changed (what I consider) minor details or omitted details from a story that would have made it too identifiable or too complicated.

Melaine
06-07-2012, 08:36 PM
If at some point along the way I gave you all the impression that I am a former Victoria Secret model, then yeah, I lied.

:ROTFLMAO:

I can't think of any lies, but I have changed details for privacy or simplified stories by omitting parts of it. I'm sure I've exaggerated many times but hopefully it was obvious by my dramatic diction.

kijip
06-07-2012, 08:38 PM

Exactly this. I will switch up details with equivalent details (an age, place or gender) when I am telling an unflattering story about someone so that whoever it is would not see that it is them on the off chance they happen on the post. That said, now I just steer clear of posting anything where I feel the details need to alter to protect someone's identity. I try to only write what I would say to someone's face. That gives you an idea of how direct I am IRL, LOL.

kijip
06-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Or someone here is a naked fat old man who really likes to chitchat about handbags and pretends to fit in :ROTFLMAO:

Gosh darn it, you found me out!

american_mama
06-07-2012, 08:56 PM
As for the are you a celebrity thing, this question came up on diaperswappers, a large cloth diaper message board. There were two celebrities: a musician who had worked on a popular movie and outed herself, and a former child TV star who gave an oblique clue that people were somehow able to figure out who she was. Who knows if there was anyone else who didn't out themselves; if you were super famous, I'd think internet message forums are a fun opportunity to have "honest" conversation even if you hide your true identity. Kind of a paradox, there. And if you are anyone who cloth diapers, even a celebrity, I bet you've run into diaperswappers.com ... although how long you stayed is anyone's guess.

AnnieW625
06-07-2012, 09:02 PM

I have occasionally changed (what I consider) minor details or omitted details from a story that would have made it too identifiable or too complicated.

:yeahthat: I changed my profile picture from DD1 to my Mad Men avatar as soon as I gave BIL and BILW the BBB book. I have posted about them in the BP a few times. My user name still somewhat recognizable but I decided I probably shouldn't give everything away.

Liziz
06-07-2012, 09:11 PM
I don't really consider any of it lying, but I've changed minor details b/c I'm oddly paranoid someone I know in real life would figure out who I am. I've also simplified situations so I don't write a novel in every post. But no good juicy lies!

oneplustwo
06-07-2012, 09:30 PM
I thought that was the glory of the Internet ~ you could let it all hang out. :)

Although I totally get that lots of people misrepresent themselves on the Internet; this just doesn't seem like the forum to do so.

Off to read how others replied . . .

designermv
06-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Never.

My children are, and will continue to be, in rear-facing, 5-pt. harnessed carseats until they get their learner's permits. "Organic" milk is no good for my kids--I send them out to the field to suckle raw milk directly from our grass-fed cow's teats. When they are done, they harvest cotton from our heirloom organic cotton plants, and......

Good god this is exhausting. I dkn't have the energy to lie. I don't think I have fibbed unless it has been about my weight. Otherwise I have no shame in telling people what a horrible parent I am and how woefully non-gifted my kids are. Also, I gave them both melatonin so I could sit on the gazebo and have a cocktail.

MissyAg94
06-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Nope. I'm anonymous on the internet so no need to lie.

And yes, my mom's oven really caught on fire while she was baking an Easter ham. ;)

123LuckyMom
06-07-2012, 10:06 PM
You caught me. I'm a celebrity.

Okay, that was my first fib. ;)

crl
06-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Not that I can remember. But with over 15,000 posts I am sure I have gotten something wrong or exaggerated or something.

Catherine

Mermanaid
06-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Never lied ... but I'm sure on some of my more emotional posts that I've probably exaggerated a bit. Didn't feel like it at the time but looking back I realize that I most likely blew things out of proportion.

bigsis
06-08-2012, 12:07 AM
I haven't lied. But then I usually just don't post if I know I'm going to be in the minority opinion-wise :bag

Penny's Pappa
06-08-2012, 12:25 AM
I have never lied nor misrepresented myself on these boards. I truly am as awesome as I appear to be.

crl
06-08-2012, 12:27 AM
I have never lied nor misrepresented myself on these boards. I truly am as awesome as I appear to be.

And every bit as humble too. :ROTFLMAO:

Catherine

citymama
06-08-2012, 12:43 AM
As I was listening to the kids chitterchat as they put themselves to bed (i swear this really happened!), I was just thinking about what an honest lot we are. And you know what? I believe it. When I come here, it's frequently to express thoughts I can't or choose not to with people around me (and DH sends you his thanks ;)). It's refreshing to be able to speak my mind here. I might not want to share all details, but yeah, I'm pretty darn honest. It would sort of defeat the purpose not to be. Now if this were a singles forum, I see why people might exaggerate, but parents in solidarity? Nah. Not so likely.

BabbyO
06-08-2012, 01:08 AM
I've kept details out or changed minor things (esp in BP) to protect the innocent and I'm certain I've exaggerated in the BP, about IL's especially. Truly they are good people, but sometimes I'm shocked at the lack of common sense! :)

FWIW, I think I'm more "honest" and forthcoming here than IRL sometimes.

lalasmama
06-08-2012, 01:17 AM
... I think I clicked differently than most people! Like most others have said, names/details have been changed to protect those who piss me off ;) So, I clicked that I have lied, but not about the big stuff. Other than changing minor details so that my sister doesn't say, "I knew you were bitching about me on there!" I'm completely truthful. And, with the drama going on around my place, you can imagine how much I wish I was lying!

kijip
06-08-2012, 01:23 AM
And, with the drama going on around my place, you can imagine how much I wish I was lying!

My brother and I joke along these lines. Yeah, we wish we could make up stuff like our childhoods. I am not that smart. Truth is stranger than fiction.

essnce629
06-08-2012, 01:58 AM
I can't think of anything I've ever lied about or exaggerated.

MontrealMum
06-08-2012, 03:14 AM
I've kept details out or changed minor things (esp in BP) to protect the innocent and I'm certain I've exaggerated in the BP, about IL's especially. Truly they are good people, but sometimes I'm shocked at the lack of common sense! :)

FWIW, I think I'm more "honest" and forthcoming here than IRL sometimes.

HannaAddict
06-08-2012, 03:23 AM
No, but I do recall a person who was rather popular on here (and left in a huff over something unrelated years later not involving me), basically say I was lying because in her "alleged" years as a Biglaw lawyer she had not had a certain experience I had as a Biglaw lawyer, and it really rubbed me the wrong way. She was pretty in your face and unhappy on many fronts, so I just shrugged, but it bothered me to even have some anonymous person act like I was lying. Silly really.

luckytwenty
06-08-2012, 07:16 AM
No...don't really see the point of that. I feel pretty anonymous here.

maestramommy
06-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Nope. What would be the point? It's already partly anonymous. If I think I have to lie, I just don't post.

Melbel
06-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Unfortunately, our drama is the real honest truth. I probably post too much information, but it helps to get things off of my chest. I try to be objective when posting in order to get the best advice possible (no use getting advice if you have skewed the facts), but on the more emotional issues, it is hard to not allow some subjectivity to enter the picture.

One poster once stated that I could be making up facts relating to DS' bullying after he became ill, which stung. Nobody likes their integrity questioned, even if it is on a board. For what it is worth, the same facts posted here, while egregious, were in many written communications, and were witnessed by multiple students. If anyone questions our story, I have plenty of documents to back it up, but should I have too?

wellyes
06-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Unfortunately, our drama is the real honest truth. I probably post too much information, but it helps to get things off of my chest. I try to be objective when posting in order to get the best advice possible (no use getting advice if you have skewed the facts), but on the more emotional issues, it is hard to not allow some subjectivity to enter the picture.

One poster once stated that I could be making up facts relating to DS' bullying after he became ill, which stung. Nobody likes their integrity questioned, even if it is on a board. For what it is worth, the same facts posted here, while egregious, were in many written communications, and were witnessed by multiple students. If anyone questions our story, I have plenty of documents to back it up, but should I have too?
Hell no.

The reason I started this thread is that I personally have been tempted to exaggerate - as a rhetorical tactic only - in posts. I probably have, to be honest. No out of a desire to be dishonest. It's just -- using the written word to communicate is (for me) both more intimate and also more removed than real-life conversations. I'm trying to figure that out for myself.

I don't want anyone to feel targeted by this thread.

Though, now that a couple folks have voted "I am not who you think I am", I am formulating some suspicions. All in good fun!!

lizzywednesday
06-08-2012, 09:01 AM
I've certainly exaggerated and only posted my own feelings/POV, but never out-and-out lied.

Does this mean my perspective is skewed? Sure.

Do I admit it? Absolutely.

But when I'm upset or angry, I'm going to post my POV and only my POV, KWIM? (See multiple BPs about my DH, who I love dearly, but sometimes I can't express my frustration to/with/about him without having worked it out here first.)

For major stuff, like DD's heart, I don't find it's productive to lie even if y'all are just a buncha people on the interwebz (well, aside from the couple of people I'm pretty sure I know IRL but have been too chicken to confirm.)

I feel like I've got real support here and lying would take all of that away. I have so few outlets these days that removing the BBB would make me crazy, so I strive to be as honest as possible.

hellokitty
06-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Aw, shucks, you got me. I'm not really the bow wearing cartoon cat that my username implies. :tongue5: Anyway, I have never made up false details here. I have left out details that were personally identifying (which I think is only common sense when on the internet) and yes, my version of the incident is my story. For example, if you ask my mil and I to re-tell a story, our versions would vary, since she is a whackadoodle, and all her stories end up being about her being a victim and other ppl being so mean and she is so perfect. So, no, I've never felt the need to lie. I may sometimes exaggerate with descriptive words (ie: during bitch posts), but other than that, I feel anonymous enough that I don't see the point of lying on this board. There are times where I delete a post before I hit send, b/c I realize that it probably has too much personal info. So, generally I tend to not post about something if I feel like it's got too many identifying details.

Melbel
06-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Hell no.

The reason I started this thread is that I personally have been tempted to exaggerate - as a rhetorical tactic only - in posts. I probably have, to be honest. No out of a desire to be dishonest. It's just -- using the written word to communicate is (for me) both more intimate and also more removed than real-life conversations. I'm trying to figure that out for myself.

I don't want anyone to feel targeted by this thread.

Though, now that a couple folks have voted "I am not who you think I am", I am formulating some suspicions. All in good fun!!

I did not feel targeted by the thread at all, but it brought up a bad memory is all. No worries. :) I am also curious as to the "I am not who you think I am" replies!

sarahsthreads
06-08-2012, 10:01 AM
It's pretty much against my nature to lie about anything, in general. (I don't count things like the Tooth Fairy or Santa as lies, or spare-someone's-feelings half-truths or omissions.) I use my real name and my kids' real names. If I feel I can't be truthful in a post here (either because I'm worried someone I know IRL will find it and be hurt by it or because I will hurt another poster's feelings) then I don't post it.

Sarah :)

mommylamb
06-08-2012, 10:22 AM

This totally happened to me-- and the person is someone who now posts on these boards! Fortunately, she forgave me. :hug:

swissair81
06-08-2012, 10:30 AM
There are things I've said here that I wish could have been my over fertile imagination. Alas, they are all too true.

arivecchi
06-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Never.

My children are, and will continue to be, in rear-facing, 5-pt. harnessed carseats until they get their learner's permits. "Organic" milk is no good for my kids--I send them out to the field to suckle raw milk directly from our grass-fed cow's teats. When they are done, they harvest cotton from our heirloom organic cotton plants, and......

Good god this is exhausting. I dkn't have the energy to lie. I don't think I have fibbed unless it has been about my weight. Otherwise I have no shame in telling people what a horrible parent I am and how woefully non-gifted my kids are. Also, I gave them both melatonin so I could sit on the gazebo and have a cocktail. :ROTFLMAO: You always crack me up.

I don't think most people fib here - I do wonder if some super dramatic stories are true at times - but whatevs - still fun to read. :)

peanut520
06-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Not intentionally. I may change minor fact and details to protect my family and friends in case I put my foot in my mouth.

MamaKath
06-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Interesting. IMHO there isn't any need to lie, you don't know me.

123LuckyMom
06-08-2012, 05:36 PM
I wonder if the people voting "I'm not who I appear to be" are fibbing ;)

BabyBearsMom
06-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Sadly yes. Huge admission here: neither of my children are in fact bears. They are actually humans but babyhumansmom didn't make a great user name ;)

MichelleRC
06-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I have not lied or exaggerated (to my knowledge). I usually don't post anything worth lying or exaggerating about, LOL! Plus, my life is pretty dull. Oh, and I have never told anyone IRL about this board. It's MINE.

bisous
06-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I have a pretty clear conscience and try not to intentionally mislead.

My biggest honesty issue is probably being honest with myself. I think sometimes when I tell stories I'm a little too generous with my POV, exaggerating things a bit to make me seem more positive, etc. I'm guilty of that but I try to keep it real. It isn't really to create a false front here so much as a natural inclination to make me feel better about certain things. Does that make sense?

I also change little details sometimes so as not to reveal too much information although I suspect one could glean A LOT of information about me if my whole posting history were perused!

cvanbrunt
06-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Never.

Good god this is exhausting. I dkn't have the energy to lie. I don't think I have fibbed unless it has been about my weight. Otherwise I have no shame in telling people what a horrible parent I am and how woefully non-gifted my kids are. Also, I gave them both melatonin so I could sit on the gazebo and have a cocktail.

:ROTFLMAO: Will you please move to Boston and be my best friend?

brgnmom
06-08-2012, 08:14 PM
nope, I may have altered a few details though to protect different ID's.

klwa
06-08-2012, 08:27 PM
I can't think of any time I've lied, but I figure I may have exaggerated a bit a time or two. I don't knwo of a time, but that doesn't mean there isn't one, so I voted the second one.

TxCat
06-08-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm probably more honest here than in real life. Here, I've copped to being a nerdy kid in high school. I keep that stuff quiet in real life. :D

trcy
06-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Sadly yes. Huge admission here: neither of my children are in fact bears. They are actually humans but babyhumansmom didn't make a great user name ;)
:47: No way, didn't see that coming ;)

As for me, I am just as boring as I seem.

Carrots
06-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Nope. I don't have the energy to BS.

fortato
06-09-2012, 01:38 AM
Only if I'm bull****ting you.