PDA

View Full Version : feeling guilty

lmh2402
06-07-2012, 08:56 PM
based on the bargains thread about the cuisinart ice cream maker, i stopped by costco last week and picked up two - one for me and one for my dad for FD.

i was clearing out my bag just now and came across my receipt.

i never bothered to check it.

they somehow did not charge me for either ice cream unit. i honestly don't know how - the cart was managed by a costco worker. and then i walked through the check out and the person marked off my receipt

so...what to do? do i go back? do i chalk it up to their error and move on?

AnnieW625
06-07-2012, 09:05 PM
If the item was less than say $3 I wouldn't go back but for two $20 items yes I would go back esp. if you ever had a problem with either one. Costco has an amazing return policy they can look up an item with just a membership card.

nfceagles
06-07-2012, 09:27 PM
I would call them and see what they suggest. I get wanting to pay for them, but I would be annoyed at having to make another trip due to their mistake. Maybe they can charge you over the phone. And who knows, maybe they'll apologize and tell you not to worry about it.

infomama
06-07-2012, 09:28 PM
I would go back and pay for them.

connor_mommy
06-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Do you have the right receipt? If so, then I would go back and pay for it. It's odd that they would miss two items that are pretty big in size.

wellyes
06-07-2012, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't go. Bygones. Slip an extra $40 to your favorite nonprofit.

lmh2402
06-07-2012, 10:44 PM
yes, it's definitely the right receipt

i honestly cannot imagine how/why the cashier did not scan them - the person unloading the cart left them, plus three bottles of laundry detergent in the cart. the cashier scanned the detergent - they're all on the receipt - but the Cuisinart aren't on there

ugh!! such a PITA - i went to a costco near my work, not near my home. so i would have to trek all the way back. :irked:

justlearning
06-07-2012, 11:22 PM
yes, it's definitely the right receipt

i honestly cannot imagine how/why the cashier did not scan them - the person unloading the cart left them, plus three bottles of laundry detergent in the cart. the cashier scanned the detergent - they're all on the receipt - but the Cuisinart aren't on there

ugh!! such a PITA - i went to a costco near my work, not near my home. so i would have to trek all the way back. :irked:

I would just go to the customer service at any Costco the next time I was in the store, say that I had purchased two Cuisinarts but not charged. They can then get the scan number and charge you (or not). I wouldn't make a special trip to pay.

citymama
06-08-2012, 12:49 AM
You are 8 months pregnant. Stay at home and put your feet up. Yes, you owe Costco, but don't put yourself out over their error. Offer to pay when you're next there, even if that's 3 months from now.

urquie
06-08-2012, 01:03 AM
I would call them and see what they suggest. I get wanting to pay for them, but I would be annoyed at having to make another trip due to their mistake. Maybe they can charge you over the phone. And who knows, maybe they'll apologize and tell you not to worry about it.

:yeahthat:

Beth24
06-08-2012, 01:13 AM
You are 8 months pregnant. Stay at home and put your feet up. Yes, you owe Costco, but don't put yourself out over their error. Offer to pay when you're next there, even if that's 3 months from now.

:yeahthat:!

kijip
06-08-2012, 01:39 AM
Call them. They can take your money over the phone or they will tell you to forget about it. I was told to forget about a similar checkout error.

Though it begs the question if their reciept checkers on the exit doors are up to snuff. :wink2:

R2sweetboys
06-08-2012, 10:06 AM
:yeahthat: I once got home from the grocery store and realized that I wasn't charged for an expensive roast. I called them to let them know and said I'd pay for it the next time I was there. She told me not to worry about it, it was their mistake and to enjoy the roast on them! Good Karma. I would not make a special trip.

ezcc
06-08-2012, 10:18 AM
I would call, or to be totally honest I would probably mean to call and forget. I would not go back in person.

mariza
06-08-2012, 10:21 AM
I would consider it your lucky day. End of story.

Twoboos
06-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Wasn't there a big thread about how some places will try to get you for shoplifting in this situation? (Not charged for something, going back and asking to pay for it.)

I would call instead of going in, just in case. ETA: Or I would let it go. Maybe make a donation somewhere for the amt, as someone else suggested.

JanBaby
06-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Happy birthday from your friends at Costco. I would let it go.

lmh2402
06-08-2012, 03:38 PM
i called and they made a note on my account that they'll charge me the next time i come in.

i just couldn't walk away with almost $50 of free stuff without calling to offer to make it right.

thanks for the advice

urquie
06-08-2012, 05:54 PM
i called and they made a note on my account that they'll charge me the next time i come in.

i just couldn't walk away with almost $50 of free stuff without calling to offer to make it right.

thanks for the advice

Good job!:bighand: Just make sure they give you the discounted price. :)

Ceepa
06-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Good for you for being honest.

dec756
06-08-2012, 07:02 PM
didnt read the responses yet but my first instinct is honestly to not return it and just chalk it up as 'their bad'.

bisous
06-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't feel good about it unless I did something. I would call them and see what they say. I hope they'll just take care of it over the phone. That way, you'll have your receipt for warranty purposes too!

infomama
06-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Good for you for being honest.

kep
06-08-2012, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't feel good about it unless I did something. I would call them and see what they say. I hope they'll just take care of it over the phone. That way, you'll have your receipt for warranty purposes too!

Yep. Even though it was "their fault", you were still going to purchase the items, and ethically it seems like you have a responsibility to pay. I am sure you can take care of it over the phone. Also, if something ever goes wrong, you really need to have it on your Costco account. I imagine it would be awkward if the one you are giving as a gift ever had a problem that fell under the warranty or needed repair, and you had to explain that you didn't actually pay for it.

TxCat
06-08-2012, 08:53 PM

ZeeBaby
06-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I hope the checkout person doesn't get in trouble. That was very sloppy work.