PDA

View Full Version : What shampoo/conditioner do you use?

star04
06-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Just curious to see what people use. Feel free to describe your hair type as well.

I have thick, sometimes dry, hair. I was using Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (I think that's the name -- the one in the blue bottle!), but now I'm using something from a salon my MIL gave me to try. I think it's Cibu (sp?). Anyways, what are you using?

lizzywednesday
06-07-2012, 11:27 PM
I have thick, wavy hair that's prone to frizz.

I rotate my shampoo a bit depending on the season and whether or not I can make it to LUSH.

Currently, I'm using Squeaky Green (solid shampoo) and Cynthia Sylvia Stout (liquid shampoo) from LUSH.

I had been using their Jungle solid conditioner, but it's simply too heavy for summertime and it'll cause breakouts. (But I love it!)

I'll likely switch to American Cream or similar for summertime.

During the winter, I typically use Soak and Float (solid) but tried Godiva (solid) which I loved, except for the patchouli. I'd also recommend Trichomania (solid) but it's hard to store properly.

Before I got pregnant and it nearly made me vomit, I was using Rehab, which I like, but it's got tea tree oil in it and that tends to turn my stomach.

I recently bought the same Herbal Essences shampoo and was appalled that it had so much blue dye in it! It's also too heavily fragranced for me, so I won't be buying it again.

Before that, I was using Garnier Fructis "clear" line, which I like because the citrus scent isn't overpowering.

But, I tend to do best with LUSH.

And every couple of months, I do an apple cider vinegar rinse to deep-clean my scalp.

Nu_mama
06-07-2012, 11:30 PM
I just purchased some of the new Clear shampoo and conditioner. It has been advertised as being good for clearing up dry, itchy scalp and keeping the scalp healthy generally. So far, I really like it and I have always had problems with my scalp.

DrSally
06-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Thick, coarse hair, prone to frizz. I use Kirkland (Costco) sulfate free shampoo (purple bottle). The bottle has lasted forever, and I think the sulfate free is less drying. For conditioner, I use PAntene for ethnic hair (brown bottle). I think it's the most moisturizing of all the Pantene conditioners. Again, a big bottle lasts forever.

bigsis
06-08-2012, 12:03 AM
I'll be watching this thread. I'm looking for a new shampoo too. However, I have really oily hair. I'm a grease monkey on the 2nd day. :(

wellyes
06-08-2012, 12:05 AM
I use Everstrong (sulfate-free). I like it. But, everything I've read tells me that all shampoos are essentially the same. Different fragrance, some have a creamier texture, maybe a few herbs added in, but fundamentally no difference in outcome.

wencit
06-08-2012, 12:14 AM
I have thick, oil-prone hair. Honestly, I have to rotate my shampoo/conditioner every few months, otherwise I feel like I get build-up. The best product for me seems to be Pantene. I'm using their Aqua Light line right now (silicone-free, I think), and really like it. It makes my hair look shiny and soft. I rotate between Pantene, Herbal Essences, and Garnier Fructis.

I tried the Everstrong SLS-free products due to the strong recommendations on here and absolutely hated it. Turned my hair greasy with a horrible buildup in just a few applications. It's the only time I've ever been led astray by the BBB! ;)

citymama
06-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Very thick, wavy hair. I use the Giovanni 50:50 line for both shampoo and conditioner. Love it.

nupe
06-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Definitely thicker hair. I started using ag shampoos two years ago, and was running out this year and tried a bunch of others, came back to the AG (not even the cloud 9 did it for me)

AG sulfate free colour savour (I don't color but wanted sulfate free), from Beauty brands or ulta
http://www.aghair.com/product/colour-care/colour-savour/

AG fast food leave in conditioner (I hate wasting time conditioning in the shower, prefer leave in conditioner!)
http://www.aghair.com/product/moisture-and-shine/fast-food/

And now that I've seen the new aghair website I see they have lots of new products.

new_mommy25
06-08-2012, 05:18 AM
I have thick straight hair with a slight bend at the end. I currently have Pantene Ice Shine and a couple different Organix. I switch shampoos fairly often because they seem to stop working after a time.

mytwosons
06-08-2012, 07:37 AM
:yeahthat:
Thick, coarse hair, prone to frizz. I use Kirkland (Costco) sulfate free shampoo (purple bottle). The bottle has lasted forever, and I think the sulfate free is less drying. For conditioner, I use PAntene for ethnic hair (brown bottle). I think it's the most moisturizing of all the Pantene conditioners. Again, a big bottle lasts forever.

:yeahthat: I used to be loyal to aveda, but switched to the kirkland shampoo about a six months ago. IIRC, it's gluten-free and paraben free. I liked it so much I recently switched to their conditioner as well. So far, so good!

KHF
06-08-2012, 07:37 AM
I've been using EverStrong for a couple of months. I tend to switch a lot too, so it was nice to have something different to add to the rotation. My hair is thick, but not coarse and curly. I usually rotate between cheap-o Suave, Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and EverStrong.

SnuggleBuggles
06-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Thicker, mostly straight hair here and I use Trader Joe's shampoo and Whole Foods' store brand conditioner. Cheap and good. :)

Melaine
06-08-2012, 08:19 AM
I really like EverStrong....or EverSleek can't remember. The green one. But I am also at the dream hair stage hormonally for me. I'm about to hit the nightmare pp phase when it will fall out and look like crap so I may not like it then. I have been able to spread out washing to once every 5-7 days with this shampoo and my hair looks better than it usually does....been using it since Jan.

lizzywednesday
06-08-2012, 08:22 AM
I'll be watching this thread. I'm looking for a new shampoo too. However, I have really oily hair. I'm a grease monkey on the 2nd day. :(

Try Squeaky Green or Seanick solid shampoos from Lush.

The initial pricetag is a bit hard to swallow, but get a storage tin and it'll last as long as 3 or 4 bottles of shampoo. Really. Oh, and instead of following their directions to streak it on your hair directly, I suds it up in my hands & massage it into my scalp.

For conditioner, try their Veganese; it's lighter than American Cream. They also have a super-light one.

If you still get oily the next day, try a dry shampoo to fight the oil. (LUSH just started making one, but I've used Treseme in the past.)

m448
06-08-2012, 08:34 AM
I use earth science fragrance free conditioner, no shampoo. Before that I used Giovanni teatree triple treat. My hair is curly (mostly 3b, some 3a at the nape and 3c at the forehead.

stinkyfeet
06-08-2012, 09:03 AM
I have long, thick, dry, frizzy hair. I'm currently using Alterna's Bamboo Smooth anti-frizz shampoo. I like it a lot, and it smells heavenly (and I'm usually not too big on the smell of most products).

http://www.sephora.com/bamboo-smooth-anti-frizz-shampoo-P278001?skuId=1312768

After showering, I usually put a treatment product in my hair to make it more manageable. I alternate between Sedu Anti-Frizz polishing serum with argan oil (which makes my hair smooth and shiny) and a new product I discovered at Costco called "It's a 10" treatment spray which makes my hair very soft.

marymoo86
06-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Hair is thicker, wavy, and frizzy

I use TJ's Tea Tree oil shampoo and conditioner. Followed by Argan oil on the ends to help with the dryness.

maestramommy
06-08-2012, 10:21 AM
I have thick wiry hair. Used to be straight but is now acquiring a kink. I use Nature's Gate TTO shampoo and conditioner because of my itchy scalp.

AnnieW625
06-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Right now I am using L'Oreal Ever Creme Nourishing shampoo. Every other wash (so around 2 x a week) I have been using Tresmme Moisture Rich Comdotioner. About once every two weeks to once a month I use Pantene's Intensive Restorative Treatment. I am debating about trying the Kirkland sulfate free shampoo/conditioner, and or the L'Oreal
Ever Creme Noirishing conditioner.

I have thick hair that has never been colored and has some wave to it. I use Kenra Daily Provision on an almost daily basis. I blow dry my hair after almost every wash as it takes upwards of almost 4 hrs. to dry if it is not hot out.

MissyAg94
06-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I have thick, wavy hair. I feel like sulfate-free shampoos don't get my hair clean. I use Nioxin occasionally for itchy scalp (natural remedies did nothing for me, unfortunately) and have just switched back to Pantene because I think it gets my hair the cleanest while still allowing me to control frizz. I've tried many products including expensive salon brands and Pantene seems to work best.

sntm
06-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Jealous of all you thick haired gals.
I have long straight fine oily hair - a challenging combo. Doing okay n with Frederic Fekkai high volume shampoo and Shea butter moisturizer

Eta a hairdresser I had in NYC thought the shampoo quality mattered much more than the conditioner. She recommended splurging on shampoo and using a cheap lear in conditioner on ends ony

Carrots
06-08-2012, 09:46 PM
I use Suave because it costs 1.79. :D

I have thick weird straight-in-someplaces-frizzy-curls-in-others hair that is on the oily side (must wash my hair every day). I have tried everything from Aveda to Bio-clear (whatever it is called), but I feel like Suave gets my hair clean and the clean feeling lasts longer.

mom2binsd
06-09-2012, 12:29 AM
I have natural grey hair that is long/medium thickness with some wave.

I use Herbal Essence in the pink or orange bottle shampoo and conditioner, no other products afterwards and I shampoo about every 2/3rd day. I get 2 bottles for 5.00.

trcy
06-09-2012, 06:53 AM
I have thick, wavy hair that is prone to frizz. I honestly have no shampoo loyalty and use whatever I can get the best price on with sales and coupons. I personally don't see any difference in how different brands work.

lmwbasye
06-09-2012, 07:39 AM
I switch a bit. I do like Kirkland's shampoo and really like Loreal Everstrong. That's probably my favorite. :)

infomama
06-09-2012, 07:41 AM
I have been using Gud by Burts Bees lately. It smells SO good (I got the vanilla). http://www.gudhappens.com/

Kindra178
06-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Fekkai's Glossing or Bumble and Bumble's Coco. I was using Aveda (and have on and off of for years) but my scalp started getting really, really itchy.

Roleysmom
06-09-2012, 08:17 AM
It's really interesting to read what people use. I haven't heard of many of these brands.

I have fine curly hair. It gets dry and frizzy very easily but if the conditioner is too heavy, it will go limp. I use Ouidad Curl Quencher conditioner and shampoo. For me, the styling product is really important and I like the Ouidad styling gel. Bumble and Bumble curl creme is also great.

lchang25000
06-09-2012, 08:38 AM
I also have thick dry hair prone to frizz and use the Pureology hydrate non-sulfate shampoo/conditioner. It's pretty pricey, but I usually get the liters for buy 1 get 1 50% or 75% off. Love the tingly feeling of the conditioner!

GaPeach_in_Ca
06-09-2012, 09:31 AM
I have straight, thin hair. I use Aveda Shampure shampoo & conditioner. It's my favorite!

MissyAg94
06-09-2012, 11:12 AM
I have been using Gud by Burts Bees lately. It smells SO good (I got the vanilla). http://www.gudhappens.com/
I use this in Cherry Blossom for my daughter since it's paraben and phthalate free. Haven't used it myself but will try it.

Babymakes3
06-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I've been using the Suave Keratin in the gold bottles, I really like it so far. Definitely relaxes my hair and helps calm the frizz in FL's humidity! I switched to a different kind for a week or so and I could tell the difference!