PDA

View Full Version : great job interview, no callback--what should I do?

mom3boys
06-08-2012, 10:13 AM
I had a job interview on May 24 (in person, 6 hr interview). So, 2 weeks ago now.

It went very well, one of my interviewers actually said "I have never seen an applicant's qualifications match so well with a job description before." Also, the interview happened quickly after my hearing about the job--I learned of it on a Friday, sent my resume that day, got a call back within a couple of hours to schedule a phone interview, had the phone interview Monday, then the in-person interview that Thursday. Based on my interview and the speed of things, I really felt I would get an offer. They were even offering things I didn't ask for, like would I like to work part-time until my PhD was finished.

Last week basically the entire team was away at a conference, and the director had said they might not be able to get in touch with me until this week. The admin confirmed this to me last week when I had to e-mail her about something else.

But now, it's Friday of this week, and I've heard NOTHING. So I am thinking I didn't get the job. I am honestly surprised as I don't even think they interviewed anyone before me and wouldn't have been able to interview anyone last week bc of the short week (Memorial Day+conference right after).

Question--do I actually e-mail and ask for sure, or do I do nothing? Although I have no other "real" offers, my advisor has asked if I'd like to work 2 days a week for her this summer (hourly pay) while I finish my PhD, or alternatively I need to stay home with the kids at least 1 more day a week (have nanny 1 less day)--basically, I need to do something to reduce childcare costs. So I do need to know for sure fairly quickly. If I e-mail today I should do it this morning, because the company has summer hours and everyone will be gone by 1pm today. Any advice?

mariza
06-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Did they give you any kind of time line when you last had contact? I would probably send a quick email thanking them again for their time and say you look forward to hearing back about this, or any future positions.

mariza
06-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Good luck :)

twowhat?
06-08-2012, 11:23 AM
There's absolutely nothing wrong in sending a quick, polite email to ask where they are in the selection process.

mytwosons
06-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Did you send thank you emails and did they respond to them?

It's fine to email them, express your interest in the position and ask where they are in the process.

mom3boys
06-08-2012, 11:36 AM
OK, I just e-mailed. I tried to be very polite, just mentioned I was trying to figure out my next steps, could they give me an update on where they were with the position. I do really need to know as I need to get back to my adviser about part-time work soon. I steered clear of saying please consider me for future opportunities, only because if I get the "thanks but no thanks" e-mail back, I will reply with something like that.

Last week, I did send thank you notes to all 6 people I interviewed with. I was worried I was a little late in sending them as I did not have a chance to until Memorial Day weekend was over. One replied back (with basically "it was nice meeting you too"). I don't know if that is bad--I don't take it as good, but I have received "thanks for interviewing me" e-mails too and not replied and we've hired the person.

Will keep you posted . . .

mackmama
06-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I would probably send a quick email thanking them again for their time and say you look forward to hearing back about this, or any future positions.

:yeahthat: I think it's totally okay to inquire.

twowhat?
06-08-2012, 12:06 PM
OK, I just e-mailed. I tried to be very polite, just mentioned I was trying to figure out my next steps, could they give me an update on where they were with the position. I do really need to know as I need to get back to my adviser about part-time work soon. I steered clear of saying please consider me for future opportunities, only because if I get the "thanks but no thanks" e-mail back, I will reply with something like that.

Last week, I did send thank you notes to all 6 people I interviewed with. I was worried I was a little late in sending them as I did not have a chance to until Memorial Day weekend was over. One replied back (with basically "it was nice meeting you too"). I don't know if that is bad--I don't take it as good, but I have received "thanks for interviewing me" e-mails too and not replied and we've hired the person.

Will keep you posted . . .

Sounds perfect. I've NEVER gotten responses back from thank you emails and have gotten hired anyway. GOOD LUCK!

NCGrandma
06-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Hope you hear something promising soon. Having been on the other side of the process many times, I often was unable to give applicants any info until later than I had hoped to. In addition to other things slowing down the decision process (like conferences and holidays and colleagues who couldn't make up their minds...), we had to work with a cumbersome university bureaucracy that got miffed if we communicated anything to applicants before we had crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's on their paperwork. Even if you're not applying to a large bureaucracy, there can often be factors that slow things down even when they have an outstanding applicant whom they want to hire.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

mom3boys
06-08-2012, 12:52 PM
OK, just to update. I got a reply back, and while it wasn't "you're hired" it was "Sorry we haven't had a chance to follow up but we definitely will." Which is at least better than "go away." In addition to the conference I was aware of, there was apparently yet another conference this week that just ended on Wednesday, so they haven't been able to move forward with making any decisions.

I think I was just really antsy because they said they'd follow up this week (and didn't) and because they seemed like they wanted someone right away--expressed some concern when I was unsure if I could start before July, for example (when it is now evident that there's almost no way, with their timing, I would start before July!)

And, I had to go to a conference with DS1's teacher right after I sent the e-mail, and learned that the teacher is recommending him to move on to 1st grade! (Which I support, but was concerned about, as he is barely old enough, a little behind on reading, and well, just unique which doesn't always work in a classroom, but she confirmed he would be bored repeating K).

So, could have had a lot of bad news in 1/2 hour, but didn't. Now if DS2's birthday goes off without a hitch this weekend, it will be a good weekend.

ETA: I totally hear you on the bureaucracy, NC Grandma. Where I interviewed is not quite like that as it's a corporation but my adviser interviewed at an academic institution (she is tenured at her current one) and she said it would take NINE MONTHS for the process to be completed between interviewing, if she received an offer, taking the offer. That's a LONG time. But of course, unlike me she already has a job so she can afford to wait a little longer!

boolady
06-08-2012, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't give up hope yet. DH went on an interview last year at a place he really, really wanted to work, thought everything went well, sent his thank you for the interview notes, and then heard nothing for over three weeks. We were both pretty convinced that he wasn't getting through to the next round, when 3.5 weeks later, they called him in as one of two candidates for the second and final round of interviews.

Same thing...goes for interview, thinks all went well, again, 3 weeks go by; in the interim, he calls and talks to his HR contact and reminds her of his interests, she says that some of the parties have been out of the office so they haven't reconvened to make a decision. He's firmly convinced he's not getting it. He got it. The waiting is nail biting, to be sure, but I don't think it automatically means you're out. Good luck!

HannaAddict
06-08-2012, 04:08 PM
No. They are busy. Things always take more time. They were at a conference, work piles up. This isn't their first priority so just take a deep breath and be patient. I know it is hard!