PDA

View Full Version : Babysitter age?

Twoboos
06-08-2012, 11:32 AM
We are trying to get a sitter for tonight. Our usual sitter is 14yo. She is not available, but her 12yo sister is. She has taken the babysitter certification course (through parks & rec). They live 2 houses down, the mom will be home tonight in case anything comes up.

DDs are 6 & 8, and once they go to bed they'll won't get up. We'd be gone from like 7-11, destination is about 15mins away.

We haven't been out in for-ev-er. Would you do it? I am leaning heavily to yes.

AnnieW625
06-08-2012, 11:39 AM
If her parents are next door or very close by then okay, but no not really my comfort zone and I used to be a sitter/nanny.

LMPC
06-08-2012, 11:41 AM
With all the things you mentioned that would be in my comfort zone. The fact that she's taken the class, her mom will be home, your kids aren't infants, and you'll be close make it fine IMO.

Have fun!

Green_Tea
06-08-2012, 12:32 PM
I'd feel comfortable under the circumstances you described - and FWIW, IME the babysitters who my kids love the most because they really like to play with and interact with the kids are the younger ones! Our older HS and college age sitters, though very trustworthy and responsible, are not the ones my kids ask for :). They're not as much fun!

waitingforgrace
06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
With all the things you mentioned that would be in my comfort zone. The fact that she's taken the class, her mom will be home, your kids aren't infants, and you'll be close make it fine IMO.

Have fun!

:yeahthat:

Jen841
06-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Sounds like you have a good back up plan! Go and enjoy!

pastrygirl
06-08-2012, 01:11 PM
In the exact scenario you describe, yes, I'd be comfortable with that.

maestramommy
06-08-2012, 01:27 PM
I'd be fine with that, esp. since her mom is 2 doors down. Have fun!

o_mom
06-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Absolutely.

Twoboos
06-08-2012, 03:09 PM
OK, plot twist. I called the mom and said sounds good. She talked to her DD, who wanted to know if it was OK to bring a friend, who has also taken the babysitting course. Then she wouldn't be here alone late. When we get home they would both go back to neighbor's house and the friend would sleep over there.

I don't know girl #2. Does this complicate matters?

(And here is why we NEVER go out - jeez!!)

candaceb
06-08-2012, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't allow a friend when they are that young. It seems like there would be more temptation to do something wrong, especially after the kids go to bed.

AnnieW625
06-08-2012, 05:16 PM
OK, plot twist. I called the mom and said sounds good. She talked to her DD, who wanted to know if it was OK to bring a friend, who has also taken the babysitting course. Then she wouldn't be here alone late. When we get home they would both go back to neighbor's house and the friend would sleep over there.

I don't know girl #2. Does this complicate matters?

(And here is why we NEVER go out - jeez!!)

Nope. I would have been okay with that as well. They will most likely just chat or text with their friends or watch a movie. Most 12 yr. old are still pretty innocent, ESP. if the parents are two doors away. Now the only tricky point is deciding whether or not you should pay the other girl. If I were the friend I would split half of the pay with her.

pastrygirl
06-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Because your kids will be asleep for most of the time, I'd still do it.

LMPC
06-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Nope. I would have been okay with that as well. They will most likely just chat or text with their friends or watch a movie. Most 12 yr. old are still pretty innocent, ESP. if the parents are two doors away. Now the only tricky point is deciding whether or not you should pay the other girl. If I were the friend I would split half of the pay with her.

This is me too. I'd still be going out and understand why a 12 yo would want a friend over.

Twoboos
06-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Well, we had to decide too quickly on the friend to get comfortable with it - I mean really, I didn't even know her name, not that it would have mattered. We bailed on the whole thing.

It was a fundraiser, so our ticket price was a "donation." There is a raffle you don't have to be present to win - so we could still come out ahead! :D Next year we'll plan better.

Thanks for all the feedback!!

SnuggleBuggles
06-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Bummer. I'd have been down with it. I wouldn't expect 12 year olds to get up to anything crazy.