PDA

View Full Version : s/o: most expensive wedding gift from one person or couple?

AnnieW625
06-08-2012, 12:59 PM
We got a $1000 from DH's parents. Next to that we got six places of our silver from my grandparents, that was about $800.

My parents paid for our wedding and that was about 10k do we got a much smaller physical gift like a place setting of fine china.

We got married in 2003

trales
06-08-2012, 01:02 PM
My grandparents gave us a $4000 bedroom set from a semi local VT company.

edurnemk
06-08-2012, 01:03 PM
I think the most expensive thing we got was $2,000 (washer and dryer set), without taking into account the 25 grand my parents gave us as a contribution for the down payment of our house.

ETA: My parents paid for the wedding reception, in case that counts as a wedding gift. It was $$$$.

justlearning
06-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Our wedding cost $3K, and my parents paid most of that. DH's parents paid about $300 for a rehearsal dinner and our next most expensive gift was a $150 set of pots and pans from my grandparents. From friends, $75 was the biggest gift we received.

lizzywednesday
06-08-2012, 01:16 PM
DH's parents gave us a VERY generous gift in addition to contributing to the overall celebration fund. They also paid for the band, which was the best thing for us because the live music made our wedding extra special.

My mom & stepdad helped fund the reception and threw my bridal shower. Mom also bought me 6 place settings of my registry china.

My dad managed to give us a very generous gift as well.

MIL & FIL have very generous friends, too.

I no longer recall dollar amounts (though DH has them in a spreadsheet so we know who gave what when their kids get married, etc.) but because of the generosity of many of our gifts, we were able to start a good-sized savings account and used that money towards the downpayment on our house.

KrisM
06-08-2012, 01:28 PM
My grandpa gave us $200. Most family and friends gave about $50-75 whether in cash or gifts. This was 10 years ago.

niccig
06-08-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't remember the amount, but DH's boss told him I needed to put more items on the wedding registry. I didn't put big ticket items, eg. I wanted a kitchen aid but didn't put it on there as felt it was too much (I was able to return extra items + gift cards and got the kitchen aid). His boss went through and just went tick, tick, tick and got most of what I had registered for. Had to put extra things on for everyone else.

We had a family friend whose wife is from a very wealthy family. She's really down to earth, so I was surprised when MIL called to say "quick, buy something off the registry NOW." Everything was very expensive and all the cheaper items (read under $100) were going fast.

AnnieW625
06-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Nicci we did something similar as well. I didn't want people to feel obligated to have to buy us $$$ stuff. I don't think I put the Kitchen Aid on the registry either. We had guests flying and having to stay in a hotel as well.

specialp
06-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Without prompting or asking, my mother gave us a very nice BR set that was too big for our apartment and had to sit in her storage for a year until we bought a house. The next would've been about $150 gift from my inlaws. We had a small wedding (we paid for) and didn't register for anything big so no elaborate gifts, but more like things we used everyday.

mommylamb
06-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Probably not our most expensive gift, but one I feel badly for not using-- One of my friends who came over from England and needed a small gift she could easily bring on the flight with her gave us crystal shot glasses from Harrods. I have no idea how much that must have cost, but everything from Harrods is insane. And of course, we never do shots, so they don't get used at all. I feel badly about it.

mytwosons
06-08-2012, 02:15 PM
One couple (my cousin) gave us $200. I think another aunt and uncle also gave us $200. My grandparents gave us 4 place settings of our china, so that was around $250, IIRC. Most of our gifts were in the $50 range.

lizzywednesday
06-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Probably not our most expensive gift, but one I feel badly for not using-- One of my friends who came over from England and needed a small gift she could easily bring on the flight with her gave us crystal shot glasses from Harrods. I have no idea how much that must have cost, but everything from Harrods is insane. And of course, we never do shots, so they don't get used at all. I feel badly about it.

Repurpose them as bud vases and stop feeling badly.

DualvansMommy
06-08-2012, 02:36 PM
We have very generous family & friends; bridal showers consist of silverware, cook-set from calaphon and china set from my in-laws. The actual wedding day gifts were mostly cash ranging from 2k to 100 dollars and most of it went into our savings account which enabled us to buy a lot of furniture for new house few years later.

A1icia
06-08-2012, 02:43 PM
My great uncle (who I am very close to) paid for our honeymoon to Paris.

peanut520
06-08-2012, 03:09 PM
We had extremely generous friends and family. We paid for own wedding so there would be no bickering over who os suppose to pay. The largest was a tie: In laws paid 15k towards our honeymoon in the French Polynesia and rehearsal dinner (3k). My parents bought us matching rolex watches (18-19k). My mom did also purchase my entire 12 place settings of Wedgwood china for my shower.

MamaMolly
06-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Toothpick holders for buffet table at parties. I do this all the time with shot glasses...just not crystal ones. ;)

KLD313
06-08-2012, 04:14 PM
My fathers friend gave a $2,500 check. My parents paid for the wedding Whig was $$$$. We're divorced now.

vludmilla
06-08-2012, 04:17 PM
My MIL and FIL gave us a new Toyota Camry.

MamaMolly
06-08-2012, 04:19 PM
I am astonished that so many people can remember. I have absolutely no idea. :shrug:

KrisM
06-08-2012, 04:22 PM
I am astonished that so many people can remember. I have absolutely no idea. :shrug:

I had to look it up. I have the spreadsheet still - it had names, addresses, gifts, when the 'thank you' was mailed, etc.

smiles33
06-08-2012, 04:40 PM
I still have my spreadsheet, too, but it's a faded/wrinkled print-out since it was also 3 computers ago. It's at home right now, but I can recall off-hand a few extremely generous non-family gifts: almost all of my dad's friends gave $500-$1,000. My relatives were extremely generous ($1,000 and up). DH's side, less so (e.g., a dusty box with a metal teapot in it with the top Scotch-taped closed from one relative, a great-aunt gave a pair of news towels so scratchy/harsh that I wouldn't even use it on my car for fear of scratching it!).

kijip
06-08-2012, 05:31 PM
My FIL gave us a fairly considerable sum of cash. We put it in our retirement funds.

JMS
06-08-2012, 08:51 PM
We had quite a few in the $500-$1000 range, mostly from relatives or older guests. We had one that was substantially more from a non-relative. My parents paid for the wedding and my inlaws for the rehearsal dinner and then maybe an additional $2500 in cash.