PDA

View Full Version : Eczema Question...New to This

new_mom_mry
06-08-2012, 01:06 PM
So my 19 month old DS, out of nowhere, began sporting a rash on his inner elbow (just on one arm). This has been going on for two weeks. It's pretty mild and shows up only in one place. Also, there is no dry skin at all, just some redness. He doesn't itch it. Oddly, I have noticed that it can fade really quickly and then come back again looking more noticeable all in a matter of several hours. Neither DH nor I have eczema, so I have some questions....

1) At what age did your child's eczema start?
2) Does it also only show up in one place?
3) Does it stay all year round, alternating between fading in and out, or does it go away completely for periods of time?
3) If it's mild, should I still ask for a referral to an allergist? The ped basically advised to use vaseline or the hormone cream, as necessary. No other advice.
4) How many times a day should I apply vaseline/Aveeno eczema cream on the affected spot?
5) We normally do baths every other day. Should I start doing them every day--do they aggravate or help with eczema?
8) Finally, silly question, but is it possible that DS will outgrow it and this is a fluke and it will completely go away?? One worried mama over here...

dcmom2b3
06-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Aw, mama, try not to fret. My DD outgrew her eczema (but it started earlier than your DS's -- around 6 mos IIRC.) Search the lounge -- I know I've posted several times about what worked for us, but it was so long ago, it's all pretty hazy. I do remember that we stepped up on the baths, every night, but used soap and shampoo sparingly, if at all, and then only at the very end of the bath so she wasn't sitting in soapy water for long.

Hugs. Hoping it resolves itself soon!

Kindra178
06-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Quick baths every day help exzema. I have posted about the so called soak and seal method before, but from what I understand, this method is the best regular system to keep flare ups to a minimum:

http://www.nationaljewish.org/healthinfo/conditions/allergy/types/eczema/lifestyle-management/soak-and-seal/

It has basically cleared us for good. For some, I like CA Baby Sensitive or Dove Sensitive. For lotion, we use Vanicream or Cetaphil first and Aquaphor on top, but only on areas showing some rashy signs.

daniele_ut
06-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Both of my boys have had eczema as infants and my 7 year old outgrew it by the time he was a year old. The jury is still out on DS2 as he's only 6 months old, but his has already improved a lot. In both my boys their eczema was limited to their face and head.

TBH what you are describing sounds more like a heat rash than eczema, especially since it's in the crease of his elbow. DS2 sometimes gets that when it's been really hot and he's been in and out of the sweaty car seat a bunch.

Green22
06-10-2012, 12:02 AM
We have had it since abt 6 mo. All year long, though sometimes it flares worse than others. Have it all over- literaaly and it is the worst on her hands.
We bathe daily, use aveeno eczema therapy all over while damp ( works better for her than cerave, cetaphil, vanicream) and about every other day we layer with vaseline or aquaphor. We have gone to the allergist bc dd has food allergies and honestly allergist advise is no better/diff than ped so i prob wouldnt make an additional appt. We also use steroid creams more than we should/ than i would like but it is hard not to when she tells me she is "so itchy". In the winter during bad spells our ped said to creme up 5 times a day, which helped some patches she had. Now i do once per day but really should move to twice.
Heat can make it worse so that might be the cause for your flare.

Good luck with yoyr lo. It stinks but there are worse ailments ot there.