PDA

View Full Version : kindle touch vs. nook touch?

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
06-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm curious to see your thoughts on Kindle Touch vs. Nook Touch? CNet says that they recommend the Nook Touch with glowlight...but I like that the Kindle Touch has more memory. Also, is anybody concerned that Barnes and Noble will will go out of business and the Nook will become obsolete?

Thanks,
Jennifer

stinkyfeet
06-08-2012, 01:35 PM
I have a Nook Simple Touch. I really like it. I wish that they had the glow light when I had bough mine.

TwoBees
06-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Are you planning to download lots of library books? If so, you should be aware that to get the library books onto a Nook, you need to physically connect the Nook to your computer where you have downloaded the books using a USB cable. With the Kindle, the books are transferred wirelessly. I bought the Nook touch (without glowlight) and returned it for the Kindle, because I use it primarily to read library books and did not want to have to connect it to my computer all the time.

Otherwise, the Nook with Glowlight seems really appealing and is getting good reviews!

06-08-2012, 02:22 PM
If so, you should be aware that to get the library books onto a Nook, you need to physically connect the Nook to your computer where you have downloaded the books using a USB cable. With the Kindle, the books are transferred wirelessly.

Thanks TwoBees! That is exactly the information I needed. Yes, I am cheap and would primarily use it to read library books. Kindle, it is!

If I may ask, what type of Kindle do you have? The one with the ad banner is cheaper, but I'm not sure how intrusive it is?

Thanks,
Jennifer

m448
06-08-2012, 02:24 PM
I heard that amazon is introducing a glow version of the kindle touch in July so I'm holding off for that one for DH.

TwinFoxes
06-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I was really worried about the ads. They are a complete non-issue.

TwoBees
06-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks TwoBees! That is exactly the information I needed. Yes, I am cheap and would primarily use it to read library books. Kindle, it is!

If I may ask, what type of Kindle do you have? The one with the ad banner is cheaper, but I'm not sure how intrusive it is?

Thanks,
Jennifer

I hardly notice the ads. They only appear as the screen saver and at the bottom of the home page, never when you are reading. You can also pay Amazon $30 (or whatever the difference between the ad-supported and non ad-supported version is) at a later time to turn them off (through your Amazon account), so it is a better value to try the ad-supported version first.

MamaKath
06-08-2012, 04:46 PM
We have the nook tablet. We went with that over the kIndle fire because you could put earphones in and the video streaming was superior. Borrowing library books is a minor nuisance but worth the compromise. We liked that you had b&m support through bam and disliked dealing only with amazon for the kindle. We are very happy with the choice. If you are strictly going with an e reader I think you would be happy with either.

KrisM
06-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Not all library books can transfer wirelessly with the Kindle. I've had 3 or 4 that needed to go USB, which is a bummer. I'd not want to do that all the time.

Ads are a non-issue. I do look through them because some are good. But, they're a small box on the page with your books listed. Or, you go to view them specifically.

I have the Kindle Touch and really like it a lot.

wildfire
06-08-2012, 05:28 PM
The nook uses the ePub format, which is the one used by every other book seller out there other than Amazon. So even if B&N goes under, you can still get books from multiple book stores. Kobo, Diesel, Sony, etc.

queenmama
06-08-2012, 07:00 PM
The nook uses the ePub format, which is the one used by every other book seller out there other than Amazon. So even if B&N goes under, you can still get books from multiple book stores. Kobo, Diesel, Sony, etc.

This is one of the primary reasons we went with Nook. It also has expandable memory, which Kindle doesn't, or didn't at the time. It was a no-brainer.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2

kristac
06-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Amazon Local (Charlotte- and maybe other cities) has $30 off Kindle Fire vouchers today.

Kungjo
06-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Went with the Nook because I liked the instore service if I ever had a problem. Liked it so much that we own all three: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, and Nook Tablet. We like the expandable memory option and the ability to go spend an hour a day in the store reading any nook books or previewing any nook books before buying if you want. Sometimes reading the free samples aren't enough for me to decide. You can read the entire book in the store if you go enough. They let you read up to an hour a day for free and never make you feel unwelcomed.

Hooking it up to the computer to get library books is not a problem. Once you know how, it takes seconds to do.

Like that it's in epub format so we can get books from multiple sources besides B&N. Also like the idea of supporting an actual bookstore. Grew up in one as a kid and I wouldn't want my kids to not enjoy their time there as well. It was quite an enjoyable experience. Don't want actual B&M bookstore to disappear for good. Was really sad when Borders went under.

Also like the idea of supporting a business other than Amazon. Amazon is great and convenient, but once they have you hooked with great bargains and such, they pull back and reduce their discounts. Example: Amazon Mom, Subscribe and Save, etc. I know that they are a business and need to run it for profit, but if everyone buys from them and other businesses go out of business, can you imagine what a monster Amazon will become with no competition?

More than you want to think about, I'm sure. LOL.

AngB
06-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Hooking it up to the computer to get library books is not a problem. Once you know how, it takes seconds to do.

Like that it's in epub format so we can get books from multiple sources besides B&N. Also like the idea of supporting an actual bookstore.

:yeahthat:

I don't have a smart phone so have to be on a computer anyway to even check out library books, it only takes 2 more seconds to transfer the library books over to Nook. For me, the much bigger pain with library books is going online to find them and try to check out the ones I want.

TwoBees
06-09-2012, 02:05 PM

I should clarify why this was an issue for me: it's not that it's hard, but it is inconvenient for me. I wanted my e-reader for portability and library books. I can get a library book while at work (I can log into Amazon on my work computer but I am not allowed to download anything), at my parents' house, my MIL's house, DH's office, etc. Anywhere there is wifi, because I can link to Amazon on my cell phone, and then transfer the book wirelessly using wifi. I'm not always at the same computer. This was pretty much the ONLY reason that I ended up with a Kindle over Nook--I would rather support a B&M store and I'm not a big fan of Amazon's practices, but their product provided something for me that the competitor did not.

OP, I'm stating this because I want you to know that there is nothing wrong with the Nook. In fact, it is a great device. It just didn't have one small feature that was important to me.

KrisM
06-09-2012, 02:10 PM

Not hard, but inconvenient. My USB on my laptop doesn't work any more. So, I download here, move the file to the network, and have to go down to DH's office to put it on the Kindle. Fortunately, it's only been 2 books in 7 months. I don't want to have to do it all the time.

06-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Like that it's in epub format so we can get books from multiple sources besides B&N.

I thought the Kindle now allows downloads from overdrive (epub)? Am I wrong? Being able to borrow ebooks from the library is important to me.

Thanks,
Jennifer

kristac
06-09-2012, 04:47 PM
My library carries many books in the Kindle format.

AngB
06-09-2012, 04:53 PM
I thought the Kindle now allows downloads from overdrive (epub)? Am I wrong? Being able to borrow ebooks from the library is important to me.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Kindle does not allow epub books at all, but some libraries do have "kindle format" books on their overdrive account, although I'm not sure if they have as many kindle-lendable books as epub since getting library books for kindles is a fairly recent change. With Nook and epub allowed, you are definitely able to get books from more sources than just BN and library.

KrisM
06-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Kindle does not allow epub books at all, but some libraries do have "kindle format" books on their overdrive account, although I'm not sure if they have as many kindle-lendable books as epub since getting library books for kindles is a fairly recent change. With Nook and epub allowed, you are definitely able to get books from more sources than just BN and library.

Searching Overdrive, I see 6100 or so for Kindle and 6666 for total ebooks. So far, I haven't run into any book that is epub only and not Kindle. I've only checked a small portion, obviously :).

alirebco
06-11-2012, 09:35 AM
I just got the Nook with GlowLight and it is so worth it since I can read in bed!! But it doesn't hurt your eyes like a backlight display. I also like the organization of B&N too and I can share books with my sister. Plus the GL version is the same price as the Kindle without ads

JBaxter
06-11-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm a Amazon prime member so kindle was a no brainer for me

kboyle
06-11-2012, 03:54 PM
my original nook is dying (charge isn't holding for more than a couple days) and i'm debating on the Kindle Fire or the GlowLight. I'd *prefer* the GlowLight since i like the eink, but with the $30 off voucher it's close enough in price that i'm considering the Fire. I read outside alot so i could just use old nook for *outside* books, and Fire for *bed* books.

can't decide.