PDA

View Full Version : Asthmatic cough

Melaine
06-09-2012, 01:21 AM
We have had a rough time with DS sleeping and being in obvious pain from reflux for the last few weeks. Today and tonight he seems remarkably better and is sleeping so well. I'm EXHAUSTED, completely exhausted. But I have this cold and am coughing non-stop the way I always do when I get sick. It's a horrible, tickle in my throat that makes me want to swallow a cactus for relief. I keep falling asleep again and again and waking over and over. My throat is on fire from the coughing. I can't really take anything because I'm BFing and even if I could nothing works for this. I should be on a daily asthma med but I always felt like if I could live without them, I shouldn't take them.

citymama
06-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Do you have an inhaler? It's safe to use while BFing and you really should if you need it. Try honey for some relief for the throat, warm ginger tea, or just a plain old warm salt water gargle, which can work wonders if done 3-4 times a day. I'm sorry you're feeling awful. Obviously, sleep will help too; if you have the luxury of DH or someone else watching the kids so you can nap, take it without feeling guilty.

ladysoapmaker
06-09-2012, 06:21 AM
I second the use your rescue inhaler. Your baby needs you healthy then any potential side effects of albuteral may have on them.

I know this is the bitching post however if you do go to the doctor, Pulmacort is a safer daily med you can take while breastfeeding. I use that 1 or 2 puffs daily (depending on symptoms, ie did I have a cold) when I was breastfeeding DD#2.

Don't do what I did with DD#1 and wait until it's too late and then they put you on the stuff where you can't breastfeed.

Jen