PDA

View Full Version : Can you walk me through a "walk through" before closing?

daisyd
06-09-2012, 06:48 AM
I'm hoping that we'll be able to close in another 10 days. Can you educate me on the final "walk through"? What should I be looking for?

If you can spare some prayers & PT for us, we would be grateful. It's been a roller coaster the past few weeks. Thanks all for your support and keeping me sane in the midst of this.

marymoo86
06-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Ideally the final walk through is to ensure that all of the agreed upon items that needed fixing/repairing have been completed to your satisfaction. It is your chance to inspect and ensure that it is done to your standards and that nothing else has occurred that needs repair (i.e. damaged drywall and/or any other cosmetic items)

This is a general list as I am not sure what differences exist from state to state.

Pennylane
06-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Ideally the final walk through is to ensure that all of the agreed upon items that needed fixing/repairing have been completed to your satisfaction. It is your chance to inspect and ensure that it is done to your standards and that nothing else has occurred that needs repair (i.e. damaged drywall and/or any other cosmetic items)

This is a general list as I am not sure what differences exist from state to state.

This, plus it is also a good time to make sure the people that are moving out haven't left a bunch of junk at the house. Make sure all appliances that were supposed to be there are still there, and working!!

Ann

TwinFoxes
06-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Make sure all appliances that were supposed to be there are still there, and working!!

Ann

This. The DW that was supposedly repaired leaked water all over the kitchen floor during our walk through. We got a credit (and a new Bosch) :)

I have heard of people discovering the high end appliances they were expecting were replaced by cheaper ones. But I think that's rare.

smiles33
06-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Assuming they have moved out completely, check for carpet/floor damage/stains that had been hidden by furniture!

karstmama
06-09-2012, 09:47 AM
check for anything that was supposed to convey, like curtains or shelves. check outlets inside & out (maybe with a nightlight). check inside & out water faucets. are toilets running? do they flush? any painting that was supposed to be done done to your satisfaction, including trim? attic and outbuildings empty?

good luck!

crl
06-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Definitely check that everything has been removed. Both of the times we bought the sellers left us with paint and other hazardous waste. We ended up having to haul it to the disposal facility ourselves. If it happens again (we are hoping to buy soon), I am asking for cash back at closing to cover the cost of a service removing the crap.

Catherine

echoesofspring
06-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Definitely check that everything has been removed. Both of the times we bought the sellers left us with paint and other hazardous waste. We ended up having to haul it to the disposal facility ourselves.

:yeahthat:
On my first house I neglected to walk through the garage (which was detached), they had left me with a bunch of junk I had to haul out, including old tires, such a pain!

daisyd
06-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks everyone. The point about making sure the seller's stuff being moved out was very helpful.

niccig
06-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Yes, check that everything is gone, and if it's not, then I think it's considered yours, and you can sell it.

We bought over 7 years ago. I was cleaning behind garden shed, there's a wall right there and difficult to get to, and found previous owner's bush bar for his land rover. DH knew it was there, I didn't. I checked online and they go for several hundred dollars. It's dirty, but excellent condition, no rust, so I'm going to sell it on craig's list to help fund landscaping we're doing. Figure previous owner probably has a different car by now!

Oh, and not everything left is junk. Previous owner left entire wall of screws/nails all in little containers on peg board, several tools etc that he wasn't going to need. So if you do get stuck with stuff, some of it might be useful.

acmom
06-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Agree with all PP...

- check for junk (we had a TON left including metal, paint and other difficult to get rid of stuff.)

- check appliances. We ran into a fridge being swapped out for a smaller, older one as well as broken dryer and microwave

- check things that they were supposed to fix and didn't (we ran into a lot of these on our last house).

- check for damage (wall, trim, paint scrapes) from the stuff they moved out. We ended up with large, very obvious scrapes in our foyer paint and on our stairway railings from them moving large furniture down the stairs.

VERY glad we did a thorough walkthrough with our agent. Our lawyer ended up holding back money from the closing check and then negotiating for us to keep that money because of all these issues.

daisyd
06-10-2012, 04:28 AM
Our lawyer ended up holding back money from the closing check and then negotiating for us to keep that money because of all these issues.

How does this work? Do we hand over the check for closing to our lawyer and the seller's give us another check for damages? I want to be as informed as possible. Thanks!

brittone2
06-10-2012, 10:08 AM
We missed a 250-300 dollar repair the seller was supposed to make to the chimney. She didn't want to do it when we were negotiating, finally relented, and then didn't do it anyway.

We missed it because there was a snowstorm the day of closing, and the seller had moved out a week earlier. She had moved out during a snowstorm the previous week and the moving truck and compacted a bunch of snow. Then it snowed another foot on top of that. We showed up and had to shovel the 3 feet of snow at the mailbox, a path up the rather long driveway, etc .just to get in to see the house :irked: . We checked on a few bigger things but did miss the repair. Dh is still mad at the seller about it. We see her in our neighborhood occasionally because she comes back to visit with her former neighbors. DH refuses to talk with her ;)

Agree with double checking on appliances, etc. as well.

Lupe
06-10-2012, 10:38 AM
I will go with the home inspection summary on hand, with whatever the seller has agreed to fix highlighted so you don't forget to check
We are closing in a month, but this is our second place and we got really screwed the first time. We are being a total pain this time
How far in advance is your walk through? Make sure is not too close to closing and ask for receipts of all repairs at closing as proof that they were done.

crl
06-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Hmm, I have always heard to make sure the walk through is very close to closing so there isn't an opportunity for damage, etc to occur between the walk through and the closing. Our walk throughs (as buyers and as sellers) have always been the morning of closing. . . .

Catherine

cvanbrunt
06-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Hmm, I have always heard to make sure the walk through is very close to closing so there isn't an opportunity for damage, etc to occur between the walk through and the closing. Our walk throughs (as buyers and as sellers) have always been the morning of closing. . . .

Catherine

Yup. We have done our last three walk throughs on the way to the closing.

brittone2
06-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Yup. We have done our last three walk throughs on the way to the closing.
Another :yeahthat:

acmom
06-10-2012, 02:49 PM
How does this work? Do we hand over the check for closing to our lawyer and the seller's give us another check for damages? I want to be as informed as possible. Thanks!

We did our walkthrough on the way to closing and our agent saw the issues with us (the seller's agent had also given our agent the heads up that there had been some moving damage). Our agent contacted our lawyer handling the closing and our lawyer recommended that we bring 2 checks - one for the closing amt., less the amt. she felt she could negotiate for the damages, and the 2nd was for the amt. for damages that was held by the lawyers until the negotiation for damages had been worked out. My understanding was that they had us do this so the full amt. was present at closing, but wasn't given to seller's until the damages could be accounted for and negotiated. The lawyers ended up shredding that 2nd check, as the seller conceded that money due to the damages.

Lupe
06-10-2012, 04:27 PM

Catherine
You don't want to do it way ahead, but the day before as supposed to the day off will give you some time to have a game plan in case things are not done. It all depends on when the current owners are moving out. If you need to get quotes for repairs, depending on how close your relationship is with your real estate agent you may or may not want to trust he or she on this one. At least it gives you enough time to google a price. We've been burned before and maybe we are too cautious now. But better be over-cautious than sorry later. Good luck!

sophiesmom03
06-10-2012, 04:41 PM
If the seller is not out when you walk through (this has happened to us twice) make sure $$ are held in escrow for moving damages. The seller gets this money once you let the attorney know there is no damage.

In one house, it was left nowhere near broom clean and they knocked a chunk of plaster out of a wall moving furniture. In our first house they parked their uhaul over a 3 foot square hole in the driveway! they had had the oil tank taken out and covered by insurance but thought they could just pocket the $ for repaving over the hole. The attorney's letter describing this issue to he sellers attorney was absolutely priceless. ;)

Don't hesitate to speak up, it is your last chance before the money pit is all yours. LOL and enjoy!

DebbieJ
06-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Yeah, we had a seller leave us some furniture. Pain in the ass.

daisyd
06-10-2012, 06:24 PM

Catherine

That's what we're told as well.

daisyd
06-10-2012, 06:26 PM
We did our walkthrough on the way to closing and our agent saw the issues with us (the seller's agent had also given our agent the heads up that there had been some moving damage). Our agent contacted our lawyer handling the closing and our lawyer recommended that we bring 2 checks - one for the closing amt., less the amt. she felt she could negotiate for the damages, and the 2nd was for the amt. for damages that was held by the lawyers until the negotiation for damages had been worked out. My understanding was that they had us do this so the full amt. was present at closing, but wasn't given to seller's until the damages could be accounted for and negotiated. The lawyers ended up shredding that 2nd check, as the seller conceded that money due to the damages.

Thanks that was very helpful!