PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Kid Birthday Party

Philoscript
06-09-2012, 09:11 AM
My daughter and I were invited to a long-time friend's birthday party for her daughter. I have been friends with this woman for most of my life. However, whenever we invite her to our parties she tells us she will come and never shows up without a phonecall. She also never has a gift later on (not that this is important, just shows lack of premeditation to come I feel) We have been to all three of her daughter's and she's been to one of our daughter's parties. On the other hand, she is there when I need her most--when I almost lost the baby I'm carrying, when I was put on bedrest, etc. She also comes to hang out and our girls play together every so often. My daughter loves to spend time with her daughter. Would you say it would be petty of me not to go due to her not showing up at our parties? My husband thinks we should blow it off and not waste a day.

SnuggleBuggles
06-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Would you have fun at the party? If so, go. Otherwise, skip.

Is she someone you could straight up ask about the birthday party flaking she has done?

infomama
06-09-2012, 09:15 AM
I hear you but I would probably take the high road and go. If you guys are close, I would probably ask her about the no shows when you have a chance. It's not cool that shes doing that.

wellyes
06-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Don't use someone who pisses you off as a role model !

Melaine
06-09-2012, 09:25 AM
I would say if your DD would enjoy, then you should go. At first I was thinking no but when I saw that she is an otherwise supportive friend (being there for hard times, long-term friendship) I say you should go if you can. I would be frustrated with her behavior though. I've BTDT. One of my closest friends RSVP'd yes for DDs last birthday and then never came without so much as a call. Later I ran into her and she made a lame excuse then said she gifts would bring later. She never brought them which made me think it was a fib, which made me think it just wasn't a priority.

Then I reminded myself of what a great friend she has always been to me and I decided to let go of the party thing. In the long term, it wasn't a big deal and I wouldn't want to lose the friendship over it. So if we could go to their next party, I would.

nfowife
06-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Don't use someone who pisses you off as a role model !

Good advice! That's what I'd try to do. Wish I could follow it more often!

mytwosons
06-09-2012, 10:46 AM
I get why you are annoyed with her. But, true friends who are there for you when you really need them are rare.

ZeeBaby
06-09-2012, 11:38 AM
I would just ask her what is up with the flaking. Hopefully calling attention to the behavior will stop it and go to the party!

MamaMolly
06-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Would you say it would be petty of me not to go due to her not showing up at our parties?

Yes, I think it exceedingly petty to not go for that reason. She is YOUR friend, not your daughters. She is there for YOU when it really, really matters. I think you should forgive her and not let it bother you.