PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose my DD

HIU8
06-10-2012, 09:24 PM
She has had a dry hacking cough for about 3 days. Today she said her throat hurts. I cannot look at her throat b/c she is not able to stick out her tongue very far and when we use a tongue depressor she gags (so I can see nothing). She is acting very whiny as well (which is not normal for her).

Does this sound like something going around? Should I take DD in for strep test tomorrow?

mackmama
06-10-2012, 09:57 PM
I don't think strep usually causes a cough. I was thinking HFM (hand, foot, mouth), but I don't think that causes a cough either. I'd say probably a cold. If there is a fever, maybe the flu?

elephantmeg
06-10-2012, 10:02 PM
were battling the freakin hand/foot/mouth this week. Thanks DS for sharing it with me! He started with occasional cough/sore throat/fever and now a crazy rash. I'm still at the crazy sore throat and feeling terrible. The whinies are out of control here too.... (him and me!)

HIU8
06-10-2012, 10:03 PM
No fever so far.

We are going away on Wednesday and I hate to take her to the ped ER where we will be (btdt with DS way to many times). I don't know whether to even call the ped tomorrow or not at this point. Honestly, it seems that if it will develop into something more it will be while we are away.

HIU8
06-10-2012, 10:04 PM
So, it's always accompanied by a fever?

What is the incubation period for HFM? I ask b/c a child at DD's preschool (in another classroom that some of her classmates are in for beforecare) was diagnosed with it about 10 days ago.

mackmama
06-10-2012, 10:06 PM
I believe the incubation period is 3-6 days. Here is the CDC site: http://www.cdc.gov/hand-foot-mouth/index.html

KpbS
06-11-2012, 12:58 AM
The 2nd time we had HFM there was no fever. The first round the DC were completely miserable with 102 degrees. It just depends on the virus that is causing HFM, there are several.