PDA

View Full Version : Massanutten?

Clarity
06-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Has anyone ever gone to Massanutten? We recently heard about this resort and it's about a 5 hour drive from our home. I'm wondering if it's as fabulous as it looks. My girls are nearly 4 and 6 - are there enough age appropriate activities? Would you go Summer/Fall/Winter? We're not taking much a vacation this year so this would make a nice weekend.

tmahanes
06-10-2012, 11:40 PM
We live about 45 minutes away. I have only been there once. We need to try more out! We took B to the water park and he loved it! ! ! ! I mean I thought we would only be there for about 45 minutes because he was only 2 and 2 and a half hours later he was still enthralled. DH has skied there and has golf passes that he needs to use. The scenery in the area is gorgeous!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Pyrodjm
06-11-2012, 01:46 AM
I went several times growing up and always had a great time. We have taken our children twice and it is great with little ones. We have taken our girls in the winter. The indoor waterpark and ice skating was fun this year for my oldest. We don't ski but they had that available also. The crafting classes are fun. I took a couple with my mom a few years ago. The mini golf is fun in the warmer months. We always stay in a 2 br condo units with full kitchen, 2 baths and a washer/ drier. So nice to have all of that space when traveling wit:thumbsup: kids. Overall Welove it and plan to return again. If you have any questions I could probably answer them.

weech
06-11-2012, 08:20 AM
We own a timeshare there. The water park is awesome, there's activities, game rooms, regular pools, hiking trails, restaurants and cafes etc on site. It's pretty cool. We usually trade our weeks there to go elsewhere, but we'll probably end up taking DS to the water park pretty often when he's a little bit older :)

american_mama
06-11-2012, 10:43 AM
I have limited experience, but it does not seem worth a 5 hour drive to me. We went to the water park 3-4 years ago in winter, so were in the large indoor part only. It was fun and worth our time and money, but we drove only an hour to get there and did not spend the night, and I'm not sure it's worth a repeat trip. We ate in a the buffet restaurant afterwards and it was absolutely horrible, probably the worst tasting food and worst maintained buffet I've ever been to (food splattered all over the tables, ice cream spilling out of and all over the soft ice cream station).

My parents live in Harrisonburg, where Masanutten is located. Central and western Virginia are lovely places, but Harrisonburg itself and the drive to Masanutten is nothing special. Maybe there are nicer places at the resort itself.

My sister and her family spent a few days as Masanutten as part of a condo sale spiel. They had a good time, thought the food was expensive, but they are a family of six that rarely travels, so their price points and definition of good time are different than some others. They drove two hours to get there and, as I said, it counted as a big vacation for them at the time.