PDA

View Full Version : help needed--baby grunting while asleep at night

hillaryb
06-11-2012, 10:20 AM
DS is 9 weeks old. I am co-rooming but not co-sleeping, with him in his crib and me in a twin bed in the nursery. For the last few weeks he has started to grunt and squirm as if trying to pass gas, usually at 3:45 am. He's pretty regular about the time, even if his previous feeding was earlier/later or more/less than usual. He will calm down a bit then start again about 45 minutes later. This will continue for several hours, all while he sleeps, and I don't!

He doesn't do this at any other time of day. We have tried adjusting feeding times, amount of clothing/blankets, room temperature. I've fed him, changed his diaper, propped up one end of the crib mattress (he may have silent reflux), given gas drops, picked him up and rocked him...nothing really works for long except holding him in the recliner while I doze. That's not a solution for every day.

I've searched online and found lots of other people with similar experiences but no suggestions. I'd like to move back into my bedroom since his feeding times are pretty regular, but I want to figure this out first so it doesn't esculate to crying and wake up the family or I'm running back and forth betwen bedrooms for hours.

Any ideas? TIA!

weech
06-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Not sure if this is the same thing, but DS grunted in his sleep all the time. He slept perfectly fine through it, but I couldn't sleep... which is why he moved to his own bedroom in his crib at about 4 weeks. He was just a loud sleeper. :shrug:

hillaryb
06-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks. I know I might just have to bite the bullet and "move out" and see what happens, but this is a super busy week (DD has summer activities and dance recital, we all have dentist/Dr appts) *and* I start back at work on a limited basis. Just doesn't seem to be a good time for compromised sleep.

Any other ideas or BTDT?

Multimama
06-11-2012, 10:37 AM
My DS is about the same age and he does the same grunting thing. I haven't tried to do anything about it. I just let him grunt. He seems to sleep through it fine and doesn't seem unhappy. If he's sleeping through it and you're not I'd try sleeping in a different space than him at least during that part of the night. Or since you're not co-sleeping maybe you could just get some ear plugs for that part of the night?

echoesofspring
06-19-2012, 03:25 PM
My DS started doing this at about 6 weeks. 5am, nonstop grunting for the next hour and a half or so. Everyone at my new moms class seemed to be going through the same thing. After getting up all night, I just couldn't take it....I have a very vivid memory of bringing him to DH (who was sleeping in the guest room, couldn't sleep with DS in the room at all) and saying 'you have to take him for a while'. That night we moved DS to his crib in his room, DH moved back to the bedroom, and everything went fine, no screaming, nothing.