PDA

View Full Version : Running out of time-Father's Day gift and plans?

ExcitedMamma
06-11-2012, 10:51 AM
My DH is a wonderful husband and father and I really want to do something special for Father's Day but I'm really stumped both for ideas for a nice gift and for plans for the day. I'm a SAHM so money is always tight but my DH loves splurging in nice gifts, for Mother's Day he bought me the new iPad, which is so nice but stresses me out because I have to take money from our meager savings to pay off the credit card. This is what happens for most holidays and I almost always buy him small practical gifts, like clothes since he always needs them but never wants to spend money on himself because he knows money is tight.

DH definitely loves gifts so I want to give him something special and do something fun but I'm drawing a blank especially because of the cost. DH has no hobbies to buy something for and all of his time outside of work is spent together as family time. What are you giving and doing for your DHs? Please please give me some ideas!

mackmama
06-11-2012, 10:52 AM
How about the Daddy photos that have been mentioned by some PPs?

crl
06-11-2012, 10:56 AM
My dad got a grilling set from Sur La Table, dh took FIL, MIL and ds to a Giants baseball game, and I bought dh the basic kindle.

Catherine

wellyes
06-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Sports ticket or concert tickets
hammock
golf club or pool cue or bowling ball or whatever sporty equipment he uses
if he does car repairs, a new jack or a multimeter
if he camps, a new lantern or smoker
if he does home repairs, something electric.... a router?
if he's a gamer, a video game, lots of good ones out right now

o_mom
06-11-2012, 01:07 PM
If I can get all three kids well, we will do Daddy pics again. I'm also getting him a GC for a massage.

oneplustwo
06-11-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm giving DH a basic Kindle which I've already loaded with some books that I think he'll really enjoy (almost all of those were free books; one was heavily discounted). The kids are probably giving him a new coffee/tea travel mug filled with his favorite candy, since 1. he desperately needs an upgrade from his cr@ppy plastic mug and 2. he has a big sweet tooth. We'll give this to him on Friday since he can use the mug while we camp this weekend. If I get my act together, we'll do the daddy pics too.

Can you give him something that's related to family time? For example, if your kids play sports and your DH attends their games, maybe a nice folding chair + mug (for hot or cold drinks)? Or tickets to a show or sports event for the whole family?

dec756
06-11-2012, 03:44 PM
i am kinda surprising him with making plans for a 4th of july beach trip with friends and our course our ds. BUT........on fathers day he will get.........

TEXAS DE BRAZIL dinner-----(Brazilian steakhouse) is offering buy one regular price meal, dads eat for free!! its normally around $50 a person, so we are definitely doing this (also secret)

2 free cards from treat.com with recent dad and son pics that are awesome.

just playing low key and seeing what he might want to do later on in the evening.

boilermakermom
06-11-2012, 11:35 PM
DH has never been into pricey gifts, etc. He usually just likes have a fun family day.

DD and I went to a local pottery place and painted a mug for his office. and i'll help her make him a card later this week.

I am not sure what we are doing during the day. I'll plan on making ribs or steak for dinner.

Can you plan a picnic or something at a local park? Maybe get some kites? Fishing? could everyone do a fun craft? pinterest has some cute ones for father's day.

niccig
06-12-2012, 01:11 AM
I have the same situation. DH loves to give gifts and is very generous and I cringe at the cost. I give more practical smaller gifts. Then every so often, I do give a splurge gift. This year he's getting a new grill, so it's a splurge year. Our grill is 15 years old and he's been wanting a new one for at least 5 years, it's also more a house gift than a gift just for him. Last year he got grill accessories as couldn't get the grill then.

We've also done a family outing. It's something DH gets to choose, maybe a hike or bike ride. Last year we went to a baseball game and this year we went to a game 2 weeks ago and that's his Father's Day outing (he and DS really wanted to see this game). So, maybe try to think of an outing, so the gift is the whole day rather than just the present he unwraps. You could start with breakfast in bed, maybe the daddy pictures and his present, then do a family outing somewhere.

Tondi G
06-12-2012, 02:15 AM
picnic at the park or the beach?

go mini golfing? or go cart racing?

movie tickets/gift pack and some yummy movie theater candy (my hubby has a mean sweet tooth so he would love this)... and book a babysitter so the 2 of you can go out and see a grown up movie.

My DH would LOVE a gift certificate for a Massage. He has also expressed interest in getting a Kindle Fire for himself .... our kids each have one.

Is he a coffee drinker? Maybe a new mug and some yummy coffee beans?

would he like to go see a baseball/football/basketball/hockey game?

elephantmeg
06-12-2012, 07:43 AM
DH is getting an ice cream maker, the Ben and Jerry ice cream book and a weather radio. I'll also give him several hours off the following sat (I work this sat/sun).

elbenn
06-12-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm getting a weather radio and a book. I saw these car sun shades on Amazon and thought they looked pretty neat, but I don't have them, so don't have any idea if they work very well or are worth the money.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TJWSUM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A1W4JXWK2Y438R

truly scrumptious
06-12-2012, 07:59 PM
We're doing this for DH this year
http://tresfrenchhens.blogspot.com/2010/11/framed-hand-prints.html?m=1

I think I got the idea off this board.

m448
06-12-2012, 08:43 PM
I continue the two traditions gleaned from the bbb- a set of pictures for this year that I turn into a photo collage. I used to do the daddy pics but more kids narrowing down the number of nice shots by including the letters was reducing my odds of success. Now I just aim for a decent group shot and a nicer individual shot. The other is a blank book from dick blick that each year the kids write/draw on a page and I add a bunch of pictures from the past year. I don't scrapbook, make baby books or even get around to putting together albums so this is a great way to get something done once a year. As they get older I hope the kids can write their dad a yearly letter in his book.

buddyleebaby
06-12-2012, 08:59 PM
He has a book that each child makes a new card/ piece of artwork for every year. I take a photo of the kids for him.

Otherwise, I just try to make sure he has the day "off". I handle all the unpleasant chores/parental responsibilties, I cook one of his favorites for dinner, I handle clean up, and I arrange for adult time in the evening.

He has always been very happy.