PDA

View Full Version : I need some transition clothes and don't know what to get

MSWR0319
06-11-2012, 08:18 PM
I am 6 weeks postpartum with about 12lbs left to lose. My stomach has a pouch and my thigh/hip area is big. That's where all the weight is sitting. SoI have no summer clothes that fit and look nice. I've been running around in big t-shirts and maternity capris. I'm ready to look presentable but don't know where to get something for a decent price that Looks presentable. I also need the shirts to be nursing friendly. Any ideas?

alexsmommy
06-11-2012, 09:17 PM
I found at that point I had to actually try a few things on because my body was so different. I finally got smart and took my mom with me to Target and Old Navy and tried some things on to find out what was flattering. Target now has different "fits" in the Merona brand - look for the curvier one. I found that pairing some cheaper pants with more expensive tops worked to make me look put together.

It was also post-partum that I discovered skorts. Saved me on hot days when I still couldn't stand how I looked in shorts.

Kindra178
06-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Loft is a great place of reasonably priced summer clothes. Everything is always 30% off. T shirts are ten dollars, etc. Tons of dresses too.

edurnemk
06-11-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm still PG (DD is due at the end of this month) but I'm planning on using a lot of Maxi dresses for postpartum (in fact I'm wearing maxi dresses now as well). They're comfy, feminine, flattering... and I've managed to find some nursing friendly ones at non-maternity stores.

For cooler weather I like leggings and tunics / long shirts / sweaters.

DrSally
06-11-2012, 09:58 PM
I bought my transition clothes at Walmart. It was winter, and they had decent jeans and fitted T's. I agree w/pp and skots. ON also has the jersey fold over skirt, which would be less constricting. I think I saw some Lee or Levis shorts at Kohls with a very wide, soft waist (not elastic, per se, but ribbed). It could be hidden with a t-shirt.

acmom
06-11-2012, 10:22 PM
I got several inexpensive knit dresses at Target the summer after DS was born (he was born in early June). I lived in them that summer - they were cool, comfortable and easy. I could throw them on over a bathing suit or with dressier shoes and made them work for a lot of different things. Several of them were deep v neck or faux wraps that I could make work for nursing/pumping.

sntm
06-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Look up Est Ovest stylists - sister of a friend. Their recent blog post was on postpartum style.
I bought the terry shorts from j crew which are stretchy, comfy but reasonably flattering. An open weave sweater cool enough to wear over a nursing tank
Haven't found a maxi dress yet good for nursing

mikala
06-12-2012, 12:02 AM
I found most of my transition clothes at Kohl's. Their sizes generally run big on me but in the PP period the generous cuts and more figure skimming styles were perfect. I liked the jersey foldover skirts from ON and drawstring waist capris. Jeans just didn't fit seem to fit well for a couple months postpartum.

It also helped a lot to wear a bra that fit well. The Bravado Bodysilk nursing bra is awesome and the sizing is flexible, also loved the Bravado tanks. I wore nursing tanks a lot and felt they helped smooth the belly under thinner tops.

I also found a few crossover nursing tops at Gap and Old Navy, similar to these:
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=56190&vid=1&pid=174635

Agree w/ PP to try to go out and shop in person with a good mirror or a trusted friend. You'll feel so much better wearing clothes that fit, even if the concept of "fit" is a moving target as you lose the lbs.

tarnator
06-12-2012, 12:29 AM
I was slightly irritated with myself for spending a bit too much money at lululemon on some 'transitional' clothes that don't really fit me properly anymore. But at the time I really needed to wear something that I liked and that made me feel good. I was tired of wearing my husband's shorts! I guess I don't regret buying those items, but I still like them and want them to still fit me now! :wink2: