PDA

View Full Version : So, DD doesn't have HFM, but she does have...

HIU8
06-11-2012, 11:18 PM
a nasty nasty cold with a sore throat. How do I know this????? B/C I now have it. My head is killing me. My throat feels like sharp daggers when I swallow and I am coughing from post nasal drip and tasting battery acid mucus, and I'm finding it hard to breathe b/c the mucus is pooling. Did I mention this is just lovely.

Of course, we are going to MIL's on Wednesday. She and I have no fever. I'm tempted to call the ped tomorrow morning to find out what I can do for her over and above what I am doing. If she follows her normal pattern this will end up as a sinus infection or ear infection, but not for several more days (while we are away of course). I forsee a trip to the local ER (there are no walk in clinics where MIL lives). Did I mention we have been to this ER about 3 times over the past 7 years b/c one or both of the kids had a cold that morphed while we were visiting.

Tondi G
06-12-2012, 02:24 AM
Oh no what a nightmare! I've been through the same thing before. Last time we were headed to MIL's DS2 had been sick and needed abx. I caught it and needed abx. and DS1 was coming down with it 2 days before we left ... I called my ped and explained the situation. She called in a prescription for the same abx I was prescribed for DS1 ..... we filled it and took it along on the trip. Lucky for him (and me) he kicked the cold fairly quickly and it never turned into the EI DS2 had or the sinus infection had!

Have you asked your pediatrician if they would be willing to give you a prescription to take along with you on your trip. Having a child who's colds always turned into EI's... I KNEW when it had taken that turn (I'm sure you do too!).

Good Luck .... hope everyone is feeling better soon.

elephantmeg
06-12-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm right with you except I think DS is HFM since he has lovely blisters all over his face. I on the other hand just have a wicked sore throat and sun night had fever/chills and slept all day . DD just woke up with the blisters-no fever/sore throat

chlobo
06-12-2012, 07:40 AM
I would get swabbed for strep at the doctor's office. Just in case.

MamaMolly
06-12-2012, 07:44 AM
I would get swabbed for strep at the doctor's office. Just in case.

Yep. Strep would be a great reason not to go see MIL. ;) Too bad the test came back positive.