PDA

View Full Version : MIL's skirt for DD

katydid1971
06-12-2012, 02:57 AM
Every year MIL makes DD a dress. I loved the first one she made, last years was pretty bad but passable for a couple family events (the only time she wore it). This year she make the most boring homemade looking (in not a cute way) skirt. It looks like an 8th grade home ec project. When she told me what she was doing I suggested she use a few different fabrics (she has closets FULL of fabric, she wouldn't have had to buy anything) maybe put some contrasting rick rack, you know make it into a cute funky etsy type skirt. Nope she sent the dull apple print fabric in a blah pink. It looks like something that bad gift's for the teacher would be made out of. Fine whatever, I stuck it in the closet and DD doesn't ever pull it out because it so dull and DD likes things a little jazzier ;) MIL keeps asking me why DD doesn't wear it. Well MIL you didn't give me a top to go with it and I really don't want to spend the money buying something to go with it. Its truly boring and DD isn't. We are going to be visiting them next month and I know she expects DD to wear it. I don't know if I should try and find a blah shirt to wear with it or just accidentally "forget" it.

MrsZaz
06-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Sorry....my first thought was to spill something on it in startegic places and either bedazzle that part (thinking sequined apples) or tell her you couldn't get the stain out. But I have 2 boys so what do I know:)

JBaxter
06-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Be honest and say that she is getting picky about her clothes and didn't like the fabric. Suggest she let you DD pick out the fabric the next time.

mariza
06-12-2012, 08:45 AM
I would just bring and and have DD wear it. She can wear any shirt with it, maybe seeing it "mismatched" will inspire MIL to improve it or make something new. My SMIL also makes clothes for the kids. They are hit or miss, but the kids seem to enjoy them anyway. DD has a dress in a fabric I think is awful, but she seems to like it so I just go with it. Hope your MIL gets some ideas for future outfits when you visit!

maestramommy
06-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Be honest and say that she is getting picky about her clothes and didn't like the fabric. Suggest she let you DD pick out the fabric the next time.

oooh, good one! If you think even this will hurt her feelings, leave out that she didn't like it, just say she is so picky about her clothes, and has to pick out her own clothes, so maybe next time let her pick the fabric. A lot wordier, but this is what I would say. Heck, I found out the hard way when my kids got picky about clothes. "But I don't like that!!" to my face:D

TwinFoxes
06-12-2012, 09:48 AM
OK, I'll preface this by saying I really like my MIL, despite the fact she drives me crazy sometimes. I'd put DDs in it put on a white t-shirt, and be done with it. It's one day. Has your DD actually said "I hate the skirt grandma made me"? She might like it because it's from grandma. I dunno, I don't see the big deal (I would understand if she made it for Christmas morning or something, but just to wear once on a random day it just doesn't seem like a big deal).