PDA

View Full Version : Safe Summer Fun for one year old

JustMel
06-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Hello,

My DS just turned one and I want to make this summer a fun and safe one for him and us. We have never taken him to the beach nor the pool yet so I really need advice. I would like recommendations on the following:

1. a baby pool with a UV protecting shade/canopy for our backyard

2. a tent that is easy to set up but strong enough to withstand wind and blocks UV rays and not too bulky to carry around. One that can accomodate DS and my husband and I. However, I know there are baby tents too, just for baby. I welcome recommendations on those also if that makes more sense.

3. I've read up on the Sun Safe swim suit for baby http://www.sunsafe.com/ViewProducts.cfm?CatID=2&ObjectgroupID=45
Is this the only good UV safe swimsuit for baby?
Any good UV clothing lines, hats for baby?

4. DS has just started walking, swim shoes for baby? Any good leads?

5. A friend recommended California Baby sunscreen, do you concur?

I know this is a lot but I just want DS to enjoy his first summer out with us. He had surgery last July so I kept him indoors all summer. I want this summer to be a fun one but very safe one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Anything you think I should also consider, please please send my way. Anything at all that you've found to be valuable to you for baby summer fun and safety, PLEASE tell me.

Thanks so much!

lizzywednesday
06-12-2012, 02:07 PM
(1) We have the LL Bean tent:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58396?feat=1096-GN2&attrValue_0=Blue&productId=988405

I bought it before my DD's first beach vacation in 2010. If you know how to set up a dome tent, you'll be able to do this one in a snap. (I can do a dome tent in my sleep.)

I think it's worth the $100+ price tag, though I bought ours during a Memorial Day sale event, so I didn't end up spending a lot.

(2) Most swimsuits & rashguards on the market are UPF-rated something like UPF-50 or whatever. They help reduce the amount of skin you have to cover with sunscreen, saving you time & money. You can do a one-piece babysuit like the one you linked or you can do a l/s rashguard & trunks, which may be easier to find (and easier for diaper changes!) this "late" in the season.

(3) CA Baby is a fine choice, especially if you're worried about chemical sunblocks. We have used Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby STICK for DD's face, LaVanila Healthy Baby Baby Block cream (most expensive, but I splurged for my own sanity) and/or Aveeno Naturals (in the PINK container not the PURPLE) for arms & legs, BabyGanics stick & pump spray (middle of the road) and Banana Boat Natural Reflect Baby.

All of these are rated a "3" or lower by Skin Deep/EWG.

(4) I've seen swim socks in the One Step Ahead catalog. We used the Speedo swim shoes from Target for DD last year; this year, we bought Koala Kids brand.

I have no advice on the baby pool - I bought an inflatable one from the grocery store (on clearance) and have yet to use it. I just don't have the time or patience to sit with DD long enough for her to splash about outside!

echoesofspring
06-12-2012, 04:56 PM
1. a baby pool with a UV protecting shade/canopy for our backyard
We didn't do a pool, we did a water table instead. And got a separate umbrella to use with it or the sandbox, etc.

3. I've read up on the Sun Safe swim suit for baby http://www.sunsafe.com/ViewProducts....jectgroupID=45
We've bought a number of things from Coolibar, both for ourselves and DS. For DS we bought a longsleeve onesie rashguard I don't see on their site this year. It's held up great, although it has stretched out, which for kids clothing isn't a bad thing, since I'll get more use out of it! But we were using/abusing it 4x a week during the winter for swim lessons, so I feel like it's quality.

We don't have swim shoes but we were given some keens he doesn't quite fit into and got some waterproof sandals from famous footwear.

We haven't found a tent yet, but I see them all over the beach so I'm sure there are plenty of choices. We've had mixed experiences when we've gone to the beach, too much stress for me keeping him from eating rocks, he can't walk very well in the sand and gets frustrated, etc. Anyhow, at this point we are never there long enough to need a tent :)

the toughest thing I find is figuring out a sun hat he'll keep on his head!

mikala
06-12-2012, 05:10 PM
3. I've read up on the Sun Safe swim suit for baby http://www.sunsafe.com/ViewProducts.cfm?CatID=2&ObjectgroupID=45

4. DS has just started walking, swim shoes for baby? Any good leads?

5. A friend recommended California Baby sunscreen, do you concur?

Re: 3, I prefer two piece swimsuits for diapered kiddos for ease of diaper changes. There are several SPF 50 options out there for rash guards and a lot of the swim trunks are thicker material/darker colors where I wouldn't worry much about sun exposure. Target often has SPF 50 rash guards and there's a traveling booth at Costco with some sun gear and nice hats with neck coverage.

Re: 4, swim shoes didn't get much use for us and seemed to be more trouble than they are worth for a new walker. I'd stick to the cheapest ones you can find since they'll only be used for one season, if that, and plan on going barefoot when you can.

Re: 5, Safemama just published a great sunscreen cheat sheet. There are also several great threads on the topic here from the past few months. http://safemama.com/cheatsheets/sunscreen/

JustMel
06-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Thank you all so much for your responses.

I do use the Badger products. I love the stick Bug Balm. Their sunscreen will indeed be one of my choices this summer. The Safe Mama sunscreen list will be very helpful in selecting one or two more options for us. Thank you so much for that link.

That LL Bean tent looks great. Were you cool in there? One of the reviewers said she was burning up inside the tent.

I will definitely be checking out the Coolibar line. Their hats look great.

Again, thank you guys for your help. I truly appreciate it.

lizzywednesday
06-13-2012, 01:33 PM
That LL Bean tent looks great. Were you cool in there? One of the reviewers said she was burning up inside the tent.

I wasn't, but it was a pretty breezy day and a storm blew up quickly shortly after we hit the beach!

It can get warm, but I think it'll depend on the day and whether you use it at the beach (which can be breezy) or at home (which will vary) ... frankly, I'd skip it at home!

JustMel
06-13-2012, 02:09 PM
ok great...got it!
Thanks so much!