PDA

View Full Version : Lands End backpack question

lhafer
06-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Did LE change their backpacks? I got DD1 a LLBean one a couple of years ago, and am starting my search for another backpack. DD1 will be going into 1st grade, and I'm thinking about getting her a new backpack and passing her old one down to my 2 year old. I noticed in past threads (been researching and comparing backpacks) that a lot of people liked the Study Haul from LE. But I can't seem to find those. All of their packs say "new" - not sure if that's new pattern, new style, etc. Looks like they call them "Classmate" now. Is that different?

I really like our current LLBean pack (the Original Junior) and it's held up very well. I just need a second one now there are 2 kiddos. Thinking DD1 would appreciate a new backpack more than the little one!

Anyone know how much bigger the Original vs the Original Junior is? (I mean actual size wise - I know they have dimensions on the website). My DD1 is 6 yr old but very petitie (38lbs, and about 43" tall). The Original Junior is actually still a very good fit for her.

Should I look into the critter backpack for my 6 year old?

AnnieW625
06-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Yes it looks like they have changed the name, and xhangwd the lunch box clip on the front. We have a Stydy Haul from last year and an older backpack from 2008 (don't know the name, but it was similar in size to the Small Haul). I almost ordered an LL Bean original for DD1 this year, but she liked the pattern on the Lands End one better. They were about the same price. DD1 has a Lands End Small Haul I got on clearance from the overstocks section for $15 (including the $5 monogram).

Overall we have been super happy with the Lands End backpacks we have.Both have held up well.

Kindra178
06-12-2012, 11:27 AM
We have been pretty happy with DS1's LE Studyhaul. It has held up perfectly and he will definitely use it for first grade (and probably second). I am an LLB backpack person, but I didn't get one for DS1 because there is no water bottle pocket. Have you looked at the LLB Critter packs? They are kinda girly and have a water bottle pocket and matching lunch box. They get very good reviews here. Also, if you don't go that route, I wouldn't get a junior for first grade.

roseyloxs
06-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Potterybarnkids has a sale on their Mackenzie backpacks right now:
http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/small-mackenzie-pastel-backpacks/

I got dd one in the last sale. She hasn't started using it yet so I can't speak to durability but I like it a lot.

katydid1971
06-12-2012, 12:22 PM
I think both brands are good. This LL Bean one is a good price. It might be a good way to go for your DD1 especially since you have been so happy with your other LL Bean pack.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70468?feat=5729-GN2&attrValue_0=Lake/Hibiscus&productId=1102216

ETA: I was just looking at the new pattern on the Lands End back pack and I have to say that I am happy that I got DS's back pack during the winter sale last December. Besides paying way less, I really am not liking the patterns or color combos this year. A little too busy for me.

Kindra178
06-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Are all the LE backpacks out yet for the fall? I checked the other day and it seems as if there camp selection was out only.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Twoboos
06-12-2012, 01:59 PM
I would buy LLBean again in a heartbeat. DD1 has had her backpack for 2yrs now, and it's like new.

DD2's 1yo LE backpack is ripping at the seams, the mesh drink holder on the outside is ripping, zipper is CONSTANTLY snagged on the fabric, it's awful. Now, these were the ones on deep discount a couple of years ago (I got the backpack and lunchbox for like $17 or something crazy), so all that is probably why.

DD1 wants a new back pack for next year. I had bought a LE one for her when I got DD2's LE one. I will NOT be using the new one. I really want her to keep her current one, there's nothing wrong with it!

katydid1971
06-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Are all the LE backpacks out yet for the fall? I checked the other day and it seems as if there camp selection was out only.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Here they are http://www.landsend.com/ix/luggage/Luggage/Backpacks-Lunch-Boxes/index.html?seq=1~2~3&catNumbers=2431~2444&visible=1~2~1&store=le&sort=Recommended&tab=18

lhafer
06-12-2012, 05:59 PM
I think both brands are good. This LL Bean one is a good price. It might be a good way to go for your DD1 especially since you have been so happy with your other LL Bean pack.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70468?feat=5729-GN2&attrValue_0=Lake/Hibiscus&productId=1102216

This is the one I ordered for her! Her favorite color is blue, and she really wanted the dolphin one. But it's not available just yet. So I bought the blue hybiscus one with a dolphin lunch box. Hopefully she will be happy with that. Together it came to $35! Not bad! And I'm thinking the flower should be okay for her keep using for several years (not little girly pattern).

She has a camelback water bottle she really likes. I just put a carabiner hook on the handle loop of the backpack and attach her water bottle there.

AnnieW625
06-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Here they are http://www.landsend.com/ix/luggage/Luggage/Backpacks-Lunch-Boxes/index.html?seq=1~2~3&catNumbers=2431~2444&visible=1~2~1&store=le&sort=Recommended&tab=18

I do not like those patterns at all. I was on my phone this AM and couldn't see the detail as well. So glad I have the old ones.

I really think as DD1 gets older her next pack will most likely be the LL Bean Original, or a Kelty. My Kelty lasted me from say around 3rd grade until my junior year in high school (in jr. high it was cooler to carry a book bag, but the backpack still got some use). I had friends who had the same LL Bean Original packs from about the 3rd grade until college. I have had my Eddie Bauer pack since my sophomore year in college. Love that thing!

Lhafer, I like the one you chose, the critter packs last year were kind of fugly and more boyish last year so I didn't even bother showing them to DD1.