PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy toddler (ballet) dance clothes?

janine
06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
We just need basic leotard, shoes for a 3 yr old.

I see some on Target/Walmart but very little feedback or guidance on sizing. Are these the best places?

wellyes
06-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Go to a dance store to get proper sizing and leather shoes. Bosch or Capezio are the standard brands. They're only $15ish. Any leotard will do, but the ones at the dance store should be fairly cheap too.

AnnieW625
06-12-2012, 10:21 AM
you can do the leotard from Target as long as the dance class is okay with a tutu or some little crystal type jewels on the bodice. DD1 had the non tutu leotard and it worked out just fine. As far as the shoes goes I liked these and I bought them at Discount Dance Supply. Zappos also keeps them and has free returns so that might be better for initial sizing. I always ought a size bigger.
http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_205C.html?&pid=2961&Shop=Style&SID=350727197

Oh and if you need tights I highly rec. Bloch tights, super durable.
http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_T0921G.html?&pid=3646&Shop=Style&SID=350727663

eta: I found the Danskin leotards at Target to run true to size for my average sized 3 yr. old at the time (38" and 30-33lbs)

MissyAg94
06-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Go to a dance store to get proper sizing and leather shoes. Bosch or Capezio are the standard brands. They're only $15ish. Any leotard will do, but the ones at the dance store should be fairly cheap too.

:yeahthat:

janine
06-12-2012, 10:31 AM
you can do the leotard from Target as long as the dance class is okay with a tutu or some little crystal type jewels on the bodice. DD1 had the non tutu leotard and it worked out just fine. As far as the shoes goes I liked these and I bought them at Discount Dance Supply. Zappos also keeps them and has free returns so that might be better for initial sizing. I always ought a size bigger.
http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_205C.html?&pid=2961&Shop=Style&SID=350727197

Oh and if you need tights I highly rec. Bloch tights, super durable.
http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_T0921G.html?&pid=3646&Shop=Style&SID=350727663

eta: I found the Danskin leotards at Target to run true to size for my average sized 3 yr. old at the time (38" and 30-33lbs)

They have plain black leotards at Target I think? Thanks for sizing info and store linkes!..hope the shoes fit but like the idea of going to a dance store too!

Snow mom
06-12-2012, 10:47 AM
I purchased the capezio daisy slippers and bloch tights from http://www.allaboutdance.com. They have free ground shipping and free returns (although they require things to be new to return so if you are going to try on shoes you need to make sure your DDs feet are clean and have her try them on with a sheet or towel under her feet--any dirt and you can't return. I've had good luck getting leotards at secondhand stores. It really depends on how picky your studio is about what can be worn to lessons. We are just starting dance and our studio is very picky about shoes but less so about clothes. They require a leotard or unitard with or without attached skirt and tights, any color for all clothing. Other studios I looked at had much more stringent color and style requirements so check before you buy anything.

janine
06-12-2012, 10:58 AM
I purchased the capezio daisy slippers and bloch tights from http://www.allaboutdance.com. They have free ground shipping and free returns (although they require things to be new to return so if you are going to try on shoes you need to make sure your DDs feet are clean and have her try them on with a sheet or towel under her feet--any dirt and you can't return. I've had good luck getting leotards at secondhand stores. It really depends on how picky your studio is about what can be worn to lessons. We are just starting dance and our studio is very picky about shoes but less so about clothes. They require a leotard or unitard with or without attached skirt and tights, any color for all clothing. Other studios I looked at had much more stringent color and style requirements so check before you buy anything.

Thanks - it's black leotard, pink tights and shoes. But a verya laid back class otherwise..

brittone2
06-12-2012, 11:24 AM
We used Bloch tights, and DD wore Leo's brand shoes as we could buy and have them fitted locally.

maestramommy
06-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Target is good, and a lot of the ones I see have very simple skirts. I also found totally plain tutus at Old Navy before, as well as tights, very affordable.

I wouldn't spend money on Capezio or Bloch tights just yet. See how your DD does in the regular ones from Target first. I bought Capezio tights for Arwyn, thinking finally she'd have tights she couldn't rip. They lasted for 20 minutes of class before she had a hole in one knee. It's not always the tights that are the problem;) The teacher said, just have one good pair for the show. So talk to the teacher or the office at the school. Even the schools with strict uniform rules (you should see the website for our school) can be really easy on the little ones.

We buy ABT slippers from Payless. But I do notice that Capezio slippers at dancewear stores can be comparable in price.

Wow, Annie, that is a great price for slippers! Will be bookmarking that site, thanks!

elektra
06-12-2012, 12:46 PM
I have always gone to a dance-specific store. Either discountdance.com or the brick and mortar store near me.
DD seemed to enjoy being fitted for her first pair of shoes there (I know I enjoyed it ;)) and I feel like we got more for our money there, while still not spending a ton out of pocket (I think the Capezio slippers I got were around $13.) The capezios fit DD's wider feet better than the Bloch slippers did. We did get Bloch tights though, and they have held up really well- better than I expected.

peanut520
06-12-2012, 01:28 PM
We go to the local dance shop for correct sizing. They are slightly more expensive than online resources on some items. I think I paid around $42 for dd's Bloch tights, leotard, and shoes.

brittone2
06-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Ive bought leotards at kohls and a danskin outlet. Shoes I like capezio, Leo or Bloch from a local dance store. I tried the Payless and for the slight cost difference I think the other brands are better quality, plus I like the benefit of having someone fit them professionally. We had a few issues where shoes didn't fit right after wearing them a time or two.

I've tried cheap tights and they get holes after 1-2 uses. I bought a few pairs of Bloch off eBay. Love them. Much better quality. Also tried a different brand at the dance store and the got holes very quickly. I was very dis appointed w them.

I have found leotatards at consignment sales too.
ITA. The better brands really aren't that much more IME. Thanks to tips here on the BBB we skipped right to better brands, and they lasted very nicely for us (Bloch tights held up much better than cheapo ones we already owned before starting ballet this year).

janine
06-12-2012, 02:43 PM
ITA. The better brands really aren't that much more IME. Thanks to tips here on the BBB we skipped right to better brands, and they lasted very nicely for us (Bloch tights held up much better than cheapo ones we already owned before starting ballet this year).

Ok thanks - this is what we'll do then. Be fun to go to B&M store anyway with DD and make an event of it.

Pear
06-12-2012, 04:16 PM
The local dance store was cheaper for shoes than Payless. I had trouble finding anyone who stocked DD's size online (very small feet for her age) and the few places we found were expensive. The best tip I got were to get the tying shoes. They are much easier to put on than the buckles. I also bought a pair of Bloch tights and those things are super sturdy.

We ordered DD's leotard online from Target because she wanted a blue leotard and those were hard to find. The Dance store had some, but they were more ornate than the simple tank with attached skirt that we ultimately bought her.

trales
06-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Sears has really nice black leotards, payless carries the american ballet theatre leather shoes. Sears also had packages of the tights.