PDA

View Full Version : **UPDATE in OP** Has anyone see "The Lorax"?

TwinFoxes
06-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Well, my DDs are officially the wimpiest kids on the BBB when it come to films! D cried at points, S said she wanted to go home (not out of boredom) and there was general unrest and unhappiness. :rolleyes: However, I heard other kids in the theatre crying too, so maybe it's in our water. :) The scary parts were (that I remember) walking up the stairs to get outside the city, the bike ride, ringing the doorbell and the contraption that grabs him, the scary guy talking through the window slats, cutting down the first tree, the Onceler getting tomatoes thrown at him by the crowd who didn't like the Thnee, the bed headed to the waterfall, the kid's return trip to see the Onceler (D was beside herself "why is he going BACK???").... I think you get my point. But, here's the kicker, they both say they liked the movie. :ROTFLMAO:

I have to blame my genes, I don't like scary grown up movies. :bag

My DDs have seen only a few movies, and they're kind of scaredy cats. They're getting better, but too much tension and they get scared. They loved the Pooh movie, but the "Backsun" was scary (don't get me started on the "short" that was shown before the feature with Nessie the Loch Ness monster, they obsessed about it for MONTHS). Anyway, is "The Lorax" tension filled? It's PG, not G.

edurnemk
06-12-2012, 11:30 AM
We watched it about 2 months ago, but from what I remember it's not scary. DS really liked it but he's not easily scared.

roseyloxs
06-12-2012, 11:34 AM
We watched it about 2 months ago, but from what I remember it's not scary. DS really liked it but he's not easily scared.

:yeahthat: Saw it with both dd and ds. I don't remember either being scared. The scariest part is probably the bike ride out to the oh I can't remember his name.. but the guy who tells the story of the Lorax. Most of it is colorful with happy songs. Even the chase at the end is funny not scary.

arivecchi
06-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Nothing scary from what I remember.

Green_Tea
06-12-2012, 11:53 AM
My youngest loved it! And it's pretty short, which is a good thing, IMO :).

hellokitty
06-12-2012, 11:57 AM
It's not really scary, BUT we thought it was too long. There were some parts that were kind of slow and my kids got really antsy.

SnuggleBuggles
06-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Not scary. My little guy did fine

buddyleebaby
06-12-2012, 12:02 PM
There's not much tension.
The Mayor of thneedville is intimidating.
There is, of course, the sad parts when the various animals need to leave because of pollution.

2 of my 3 actually got a little bored during it, I think.

citymama
06-12-2012, 01:12 PM
My DD1 is like your girls. She has only seen 3 movies in the theater (Madagascar 1, Tangled and the Lorax). Dora the Explorer can scare her sometimes (the troll, wizards, etc.). She wanted to know before we saw the movie that everything would work out OK, and with that in mind, she saw it and enjoyed it. There were a couple of tense moments where she said "I don't like this!" and turned away (the bear going over the waterfall, the little boy biking out to see the Lorax) but other than that she liked it a lot. So much so, that when my sister took her to the movies 3 days later, she asked to go to the Lorax again! I think it should be OK for your girls.

ETA It's not a great movie, really. You will likely be super bored, but they won't.

TwinFoxes
06-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your help!

My DD1 is like your girls. She has only seen 3 movies in the theater (Madagascar 1, Tangled and the Lorax). Dora the Explorer can scare her sometimes (the troll, wizards, etc.). She wanted to know before we saw the movie that everything would work out OK, and with that in mind, she saw it and enjoyed it. There were a couple of tense moments where she said "I don't like this!" and turned away (the bear going over the waterfall, the little boy biking out to see the Lorax) but other than that she liked it a lot. So much so, that when my sister took her to the movies 3 days later, she asked to go to the Lorax again! I think it should be OK for your girls.

ETA It's not a great movie, really. You will likely be super bored, but they won't.

Your DD and mine sound similar. I believe I mentioned they once burst into tears at Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

I've also heard it's not a good movie for adults, I'm really tempted to listen to a podcast!

star04
06-12-2012, 01:20 PM
We, as parents, thought it was too boring/long and full of propoganda. We ended up leaving 2/3 through. I understand it was a "green" movie, but it was just too much for me.

SnuggleBuggles
06-12-2012, 03:31 PM
We, as parents, thought it was too boring/long and full of propoganda. We ended up leaving 2/3 through. I understand it was a "green" movie, but it was just too much for me.

I thought the "propaganda" was good. No harm in wanting our kids to care about the environment. There are worse things they could be trying to get the kids on board with. :)

citymama
06-12-2012, 03:39 PM
I thought the "propaganda" was good. No harm in wanting our kids to care about the environment. There are worse things they could be trying to get the kids on board with. :)

Ditto, I actually loved the propaganda. I especially loved the song "How Bad Can I Possibly Be?" - that was AWESOME to see on the big screen!

edurnemk
06-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Ditto, I actually loved the propaganda. I especially loved the song "How Bad Can I Possibly Be?" - that was AWESOME to see on the big screen!

:yeahthat:

mommyp
06-13-2012, 12:41 AM

:yeahthat: DD really liked the songs, she kept singing the "Let it Live" song for days. It was her second movie in the theater (Winnie the Pooh was first). It was not scary for her. During the dark bike ride, she just wanted to know that the boy was going to be okay.

kijip
06-13-2012, 01:05 AM
RE: the propaganda. I didn't have an issue with the general message and meaning of the message HOWEVER I did think the movie undercut the message by telling rather than showing to a pretty great degree. It was IMO heavy handed and this is coming from an environmentalist and proud Liberal. There I said it. Do I get a green demerit or something?

That said, it was true to the role of human greed in environmental destruction, done in the name of good business. No one can say it went beyond the eco-friendly message of the book, I just don't think it was as sophisticated in presentation as the book. But that is what you get when you try to make a full length movie out of a 3000 word children's book.

It's a cute and fun movie. F, age 3 was not at all scared. My older son was a touch unsettled/scared but that has nothing to do with the movie and everything to do with him (he screamed out in horror and threw his popcorn reflexively when he saw Horton Hears a Who...T is an exceedingly sensitive child.)

cntrymoon2
06-13-2012, 01:09 AM
We took DD in the theater and she did fine (2 yo). DH and I really enjoyed the movie, too. I guess its not for everyone, but we thought it was cute and easy to sit through.
We're going to try Brave next...I'm a little worried there might be scary/sad parts. Some of Pixar's stuff can be a little intense for the very young crowd, I think.

MontrealMum
06-13-2012, 01:47 AM
I'm sorry to say that I haven't watched it all the way through, but we do own it. I think that DH and I are going to have to schedule at time to watch it by ourselves, LOL!

DS picked it out as a reward (don't ask) back in May. And never managed to watch the whole thing because he found it boring. Which is saying something based on his other viewing choices, argh!!! My *guess* is that it's not terribly scary, but I can't really say for sure.

dcmom2b3
06-13-2012, 07:02 AM
It was a little dark, DD wanted to leave the theatre at one point. It would have been better on DVD, small screen.

TwinFoxes
06-13-2012, 07:25 AM
It was a little dark, DD wanted to leave the theatre at one point. It would have been better on DVD, small screen.

We will have to plan a movie night together for our wimpy girls. :) Update in OP.

roseyloxs
06-13-2012, 11:20 AM
I am glad they liked it but I am sorry they still found it scary. Its so hard to judge what will scare another child. My ds used to think that the original 'toy story' was the scariest movie imaginable and it had nothing to do with Sid. I think he found the idea of being lost away from home like woody very frightening. He used to find most movies scary at 4 but now he is over 5 and can watch just about anything.