PDA

View Full Version : low carb and mood swings

fivi2
06-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Does anyone else have this problem?

A few years back, I went low carb, lost weight, all was well. Fell off the wagon. Gained weight.

I have tried to go back to low carb twice since then and both times experienced horrific mood swings. Screaming rage sort of thing where I thought I was getting the really bad version of pms (forgot the name) . I do thiink low carb is bettter for my body, but I cannot deal with the moods. I take vitamins, eat enough, etc, it really seems to be related to carb intake.

Anyone else? Any suggestions?

TIA

brittone2
06-12-2012, 12:11 PM
You may need to eat more frequently and up your fats and proteins a bit at each meal as you adjust. How long were you LCing when you noticed the emotional impact? I would say the first two weeks are really hard for most people as you adjust. After that most people feel a bit better.

I know when I'm feeling like that I'm not eating enough, or need more fat/protein with my meal.

If it isn't contraindicated for you, maybe consider a magnesium supplement?

fivi2
06-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I do take a magnesium supplement already.
the first time when I successfully went low carb I was cranky and run down the first couple weeks. This is different than that was - more of a violent pms crazy mood swing thing. Last time I was low carb for 6 weeks (ish) and could not figure out why I was a raging mess. I started googling pms (even though it didn't seem cycle related) and something led me to think it was carb related. Reintroduced carbs and things leveled out. This time it hasn't been long, but I can feel the moods coming. It is like when I was on bcp.

Eta : thanks for the suggestions. Per google this doesn't appear to be common but I thought I'd see if anyone else had experienced it!

mommy111
06-12-2012, 12:30 PM
I totally got it but you adjust after the first 2 weeks. Like the headaches. I was a total irritable raving maniac with racing heart. Fortunately I knew the irritability was related to the food isssues, so I kept it under control.
It gets better, real soon, as your body starts feeling more full.

fivi2
06-12-2012, 12:36 PM
I hadn't adjusted after about 6 weeks last time. (I think my last post was unclear - I am stealth posting from my kindle!)

So time one : cranky and run down a couple weeks then cleared up. Fell off wagon eventually.

Time two : violent mood swings at least 6 weeks. Ended when I brought carbs back.

Time three : just started. Noticed mood swings.

brittone2
06-12-2012, 12:39 PM
do you consume enough fat or are you doing leaner meats with veggies?

You may find the fat/protein (if you aren't getting it already) stabilizes your blood sugar and leaves you feeling less irritable? It would be one of the first things I would try. I'd also squeeze in a few a additional all snacks in between meals.

Philly Mom
06-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Your body may be telling you that you need carbs. Perhaps a change in the carbs you eat will accomplish what you want.

specialp
06-12-2012, 12:49 PM
You may need to eat more frequently and up your fats and proteins a bit at each meal as you adjust.

That is it most of the time. Eating every 2-3 hrs (small snack) helps. However, I am pregnant and was dealing with some headaches in the morning (separate from sinus) & late afternoon. No idea if it was food related, but I added a bit more carbs to see if it would help out. For ex., I would usually eat a cheese stick + almonds for a morning snack and I changed it to either a rice cake or apple with peanut butter. In the afternoon, I changed to a 1/2 c. of high fiber cereal (to combat yet another pregnancy related issue) + almonds. I am doing better, but again, not sure if it was the carbs, pregnancy. low iron issue I'm having, or a combination.

daisysmom
06-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Gary Taubes book does talk about this a bit, and he seems to indicate that it is related to being too low fat (he suggests that people doing South Beach tend to have this feeling more than people doing a higher fat Adkins approach) and also, that upping sodium (such as with consume) helps. I don't have the book here, but I trusted his advice. I am convinced that white carbs (or anything other than moderate fruits and lots of veggies) are an addiction for me, so I am not surprised that I have some horrible withdrawals when I go through getting rid of them.

When I went low carb years ago (1995 or so), I couldn't do it (felt very weak, no energy, literally ended up at Patient First on an IV). But that was a cold turkey switch, went from having lots of breads and pastas, etc. to absolutely none. When I went low carb after Christmas this year, I had a much easier time. I read somewhere on here a link to an instruction guide to giving up sugars/carb to start it with the start of your cycle (so right when you get your period) b/c you have no hormonal fluctuations/sharp declines then for a couple of weeks. I think I did that. I also was coming from a pretty carb loaded-Christmas vacation feast. Still, I honestly didn't have mood swings. I felt tired though ("carby coma" they call this) for a few days, but then it passed.

I have also fallen off the bandwagon some and am recommitting this week (I am on day 4). I am not coming from a full-on-carb-fest though. More like very low carbs for meals, and then icecream cone at night. I am finding this time pretty easy though... no moodiness, some being tired. But the funny thing is... I find that returns to carbs now really make me a moody mess, and I retain water when I have too many carbs (like wake up with visable circles under my eyes). I have more negative signs when I go back on sugary carbs (pasta, etc.) than when I go off them. While the birthday cake tastes great, it wreaks havoc on me now. My system is much happier being low carb.

And for me, low carb is unlimited veggies, even salad dressings with 2-3 grams of carbs, and greek yogurt and natural nut butters, all of which have some carbs in them, plus 1-2 servings of fruit a day, and limited nuts. I have never tracked how many carbs those are, or frankly if i am in ketosis or not. I just know that I lose 3-4 lbs right away, and then 1 lb a week pretty effortlessly and am never hungry.

fivi2
06-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions! Work has picked up but I might back with more questions this evening!