PDA

View Full Version : Cost to remove tree?

arivecchi
06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Wondering if I got ripped off.

How much have you paid to have a large mature tree cut and removed?

blisstwins
06-12-2012, 03:50 PM
I think we paid almost 2K

elbenn
06-12-2012, 03:56 PM
We paid $800, but this was several years ago, so prices may have increased. It was a decently big tree (maybe around 20-25 feet tall), but by no means a really large tree.

ETA: We didn't have the stump ground out, which would have cost more.

niccig
06-12-2012, 03:59 PM
2K for massive pine tree and stump ground out - after a branch fell in a freak windstorm and smashed our neighbour's pick up truck, oh and our home insurance said "act of god"

egoldber
06-12-2012, 04:03 PM
It depends in part on how close to the house it is. But it can easily be $1k+.

LD92599
06-12-2012, 04:06 PM
$3500 with the stump ground out

khm
06-12-2012, 04:21 PM
$ 1200 for 6 huge trees, easily three to four stories tall. Not super thick diameter though.

niccig
06-12-2012, 04:21 PM
It depends in part on how close to the house it is. But it can easily be $1k+.

And the type of tree, if you grind out the stump or leave it. Sycamore trees are protected in our area and are more of a pain as have to get permission for them to be worked on etc. So wish we didn't have them in our yard.

squimp
06-12-2012, 04:22 PM
$1k for removing a dead branch way up high on the huge oak tree in our backyard. Huge. And it took them several days to do it and clean up.

ETA - we got several estimates and that was the cheapest! It's expensive work.

BDKmom
06-12-2012, 04:25 PM
We paid $1800 for a large pine tree with no stump removal. The removal company said it was more than usual because it was in an area where they couldn't get their equipment and it had to be removed piece by piece and carried out by hand.

arivecchi
06-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Ok, not feeling ripped off now! :tongue5: This was a very tall but somewhat skinny tree that splintered, but was still hanging on. The part that broke off was pointing at our backyard like a projectile, so I was afraid that it would fall on one of our kids. They did not remove the stump, but did cut most of the tree off and removed it. We just got a bill for $250 and DH was horrified!

pastrygirl
06-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Yeah, we paid in the 2K range, but I think it was more than one tree. I was astonished at how much it cost to remove trees!!

niccig
06-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Ok, not feeling ripped off now! :tongue5: This was a very tall but somewhat skinny tree that splintered, but was still hanging on. The part that broke off was pointing at our backyard like a projectile, so I was afraid that it would fall on one of our kids. They did not remove the stump, but did cut most of the tree off and removed it. We just got a bill for $250 and DH was horrified!

Tell DH that trees are expensive. I paid a little less than that for removal of an apple tree about 12' high + stump. Our pine tree was over 70' high with massive trunk, took 7 guys all day to get it down and it was 2K.

I also pay about $250 for a regular every 12-18 months tree trimming - we have several trees and the city is strict about fire hazards etc. And after learning that "act of god" exempts house insurance for paying for damage if branch comes down in high winds, it's best to keep the trees trimmed. We're lucky our neighbour still talks to us after the hassle of repairing his pick up. Huge branch smashed roof and hood. He was just glad we took down the tree, and we consulted with them on the replacement - much smaller and prettier tree.

BillK
06-12-2012, 04:53 PM
I had 2 HUGE maples and 1 large Sweet Gum removed like 12 years ago and the stumps ground down below ground level and topsoil/seeding done - $1500 total back then.

If tree trimmers have the proper insurance - they pay a LOT for it. I insure a few of them - so I know.

JMS
06-12-2012, 09:07 PM
A LOT! We have cut down approximately 25ish trees in our new yard. It was done in stages and I won't bother adding the total cost up. It would be very painful. The largest tree was somewhere in the $2-$3 range. It was a monster of a tree and a complicated removal. Tree work is expensive and we really shopped it around.

ang79
06-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Wow......I had no idea it costs that much to have someone professionally remove trees. We have lots of tall, skinny trees in a wooded backyard and DH decided he wants to push the treeline back a lot farther so that we get more sunlight. He posted on CL that anyone that wanted to chop the trees down for free could keep the firewood. We had a lot of responses and ended up going w/ one family that is 2 sons and a father and they all heat w/ wood, so they use a lot of it! So far they have been here two Sat. and have cut down quite a bit, but there is still a lot to go, so they will be coming back a few more times at least. They are used to cutting down their own wood though, and they are very efficient at it and had all the tools, trailers, etc. The trees are not close to the house though, so that part wasn't a concern.

I should add that I live in a somewhat rural area and we own 2 acres of land and are surrounded by farms......

niccig
06-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Wow......I had no idea it costs that much to have someone professionally remove trees.

As someone upthread said, it depends on the tree and where it is located.

Skinny, tall tree far from house and no chance of damage, it's not too bad. 70' pine tree where a branch has already smashed a pick-up truck and next big branch is over my house, the professionals please and it cost a lot of $$. It also costs more to have the stump ground out so you can plant in the same spot. Now I know why many people have stumps in their yards.

The only thing I would be concerned about with this family coming on to your property to cut your trees is if someone got hurt. They could sue you as hurt on your property, even though they're getting the wood for their labour. It sounds like they know what they're doing.

american_mama
06-13-2012, 11:57 PM
We haven't paid to take any trees down yet, but we will. We live in a neighborhood of huge oaks and many neighbors have treework done and/or have trees or branches fall on their house. Five immediate neighbors have had tree removed in the last 2-3 years, two after the trees fell on their shed or car. I think they generally pay $2000 to have a very large tree taken down (probably at least 4 stories tall, located near the house).

Anyway, one of the tree cutters said that the owner's brother used to be involved in the business, until he fell from a tree and died. So it does happen.

maestramommy
06-14-2012, 07:05 AM
We had this gigantic maple cut down and removed a couple of years ago, along with a bunch of other trees. What we did was we paid for 2 days of work with a crew of 4 guys and their boss. They do it without cranes, and it ended up being cheaper than hiring someone with a crane to do just the one tree. I think we paid 3K for the whole job. Or maybe $3200. It was about 1600 per day to get the crew. They are insured. The maple was 5 feet away from the house, but growing right next to our walkway. There was no question of just letting it fall to the ground. We had trimmed branches off it before, but after a windstorm blew a couple of pine trees onto our roof, we decided this one had to go.

Tree removal is dangerous, tricky work. It costs.

arivecchi
06-14-2012, 09:53 AM
I don't think our tree was particularly difficult to remove though. It was a tall (maybe three stories high) but skinny tree and the top half had already fallen down so they just had to finish removing that top part and then cut the rest of the tree. It was also in a wooded area of our property so nothing but other trees around it. They did not have to climb the tree and were there for a half hour tops, so I see why it was not 1k!

indigo99
06-14-2012, 10:01 AM
The uninsured guys looking for some quick work will charge much less. Professionials with the proper tools (bucket truck if needed) and insurance are going to charge a lot more. You also pay more in the summer than winter and more after storms when there's a high demand.

Mommy_Mea
06-14-2012, 10:31 AM
We paid 6k for 10 very tall white pines and stump grinding (but not removal of material). All 3 quotes we received were pretty similar. We are in a higher labor cost area (new England) and they were there for a full day with a large crane and an army of guys. It is expensive!

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

gatorsmom
06-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Wow, I am reading these posts thinking I got a great deal. I recently had to have 2 very large, 40yo pine trees cut down in my dad's yard. They charged me $400 for each to remove the trees and branches, grind out the stump, sprinkle black dirt and grass seed. I'm not sure why they charged so little, maybe it was because I had it done in March which is not a busy season around here for that sort of thing.

swrc00
06-14-2012, 04:17 PM
We paid $800 to have a 10 year old tree removed with no stump removal. It was not big at all. The price might have been higher, because it did include some pruning of other trees. The tree was close to the neighbors fence and since their tree has just split and fell into our yard, we were proactive to have ours done.