PDA

View Full Version : Way to say "if you pay for your older child, they can come to the party"

niccig
06-12-2012, 09:10 PM
We're having a party for DS at a laser tag place and after the package deal, it's not cheap for extra players. The whole class is invited. Several kids have older siblings and for most, they won't ask to bring the older child, knowing that parties are expensive and there's limits on numbers. There's one mother that will ask, she has in the past. I can say I'll get back to her about it when I know the final head count or can I say "sure, if you pay for him", but in a nicer way. Or is that rude?

I feel it's rude to want to bring sibling that the birthday child doesn't know - I understand not having babysitters etc, but all the party places around here have limit on numbers or charge a lot more per extra people ($15-20 per extra kid) and we're already doing the entire class.

It is over the summer, so we may get a lot of "no can't make it", so we might have room for siblings.
ETA. I don't mind if it's drop off, so maybe I'll suggest that if she asks...I should have put that on the invite (drop-off welcome).

alexsmommy
06-12-2012, 09:15 PM
I have no problem saying "Oh if you want to pay for the sibling, that is fine, he's welcome to participate."
If she's rude enough to ask, then I don't thinks it's rude to be clear that she has to pick up the expense. If she doesn't see that x amount of money times y amount of sibs could quickly double your financial expenditure, then that is her issue.

niccig
06-12-2012, 09:19 PM
If she doesn't see that x amount of money times y amount of sibs could quickly double your financial expenditure, then that is her issue.

There's 12 older siblings and 3 younger siblings..that's extra 15 people if siblings come. Now I wish we had done a party at the park, as everyone and their dog could come to that, but our last party was a park party so looking to do something different. Still..should have done the park...next year, it's the park.

TwinFoxes
06-12-2012, 09:24 PM
What if you just say "ooh, sorry, but there are space restrictions, if it's easier you can just drop DS2 off". Isn't your son 7 or 8? Why does the 12 year old want to go anyway?

buddyleebaby
06-12-2012, 09:29 PM
I would probably just tell her "Sorry, we don't have room in the package to include siblings, but you are welcome to drop (invited guest) off if you are unable to make other arrangements for (older child).

If it was a roller skating party or something I would probably say she pay his entrance fee or whatever but an older child that I didn't know well at a laser tag party would make me nervous. It seems like laser tag should be played with a group of people that are more or less on the same playing field, you know? I worry that an older child might (unintentionally) muck things up and ruin the fun for the younger ones.

niccig
06-12-2012, 09:32 PM
I would probably just tell her "Sorry, we don't have room in the package to include siblings, but you are welcome to drop (invited guest) off if you are unable to make other arrangements for (older child).

If it was a roller skating party or something I would probably say she pay his entrance fee or whatever but an older child that I didn't know well at a laser tag party would make me nervous. It seems like laser tag should be played with a group of people that are more or less on the same playing field, you know? I worry that an older child might (unintentionally) muck things up and ruin the fun for the younger ones.

This is a good idea. I know another family had siblings at the same place and I can imagine it doubled the bill. We can't do that.

I do agree about it being a level playing field. I know some of the dads will go in, but that's different.

elbenn
06-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Can you just say something like siblings are welcome, but while X is included in the party package, it will cost Y $z to participate?