PDA

View Full Version : different take on "DADDY" pics..cropping "DADDY" letters (UPDATED with Pic!)

♥ms.pacman♥
06-12-2012, 11:06 PM
OK, bumping this for pic...I followed SkyrMommy's instructions (thank you again!!)...i have just photoshop elements so I used "Simplify layer" command bc I couldn't find Rasterize option, but that seemed to work just as well.

Here is a pic. I used a blue background but don't know if I'll keep that, or just stick with white for printing & framing. Trickiest thing was finding pics that were suitable to fit the letters, and didn't chop someone's head out....the "Y" was the trickiest, by far.

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2384&d=1339788384

I started doing one with the premade "DAD" cutout that khm posted as well...instead of doing one pic per picture i made a collage..if i finish that I will post that too.

THanks everyone!! I love this board, so helpful.
-----
so last 2 years i did the "DADDY" pics of DS and/or DD with letters that spell Daddy. but this year, I have so many great pics of DH actually WITH the kids (especially with DD) so i was thinking of doing something like this instead, using pictures we already have with DH and one/both the kids

http://www.weddingpartycelebrations.co.uk/photo-frames-and-albums/333-memories-to-treasure-daddy-photo-frame.html

here is another one, though it says "I (heart) DADDY"
http://gifts.personalcreations.com/productdetail.aspx?cobrand=PCR&pid=30015294&ssid=4&REF=PCRFeedGiftscom&mr:referralID=5aa87b21-b364-11e1-ac63-001b2166c2c0

Thing is, i dont' want to buy the frame..i want to just crop the individual pictures in Photoshop Elements so i can create a digital version that i can share with family via Flickr, etc. Is there any easy way to do this? It seems like there should be. I know you can cut out shapes like hearts, etc using cutout tool, but I don't see options for letters...

SkyrMommy
06-13-2012, 12:20 PM
- Set up a new file that has six layers. One for each photo you want to use and one type layer. Create the layer of text saying DADDY with the font, size and spacing that you like.
- Rasterize that type layer, I think the option is under the 'Layer' menu (I use the full photoshop so am not quite sure where some things might be in Elements). Rasterizing changes the type from a font layer to pixels like a photograph.
- Using the magic wand select the letters individually, go to the photo layer that you want to use for that letter.
- Move the selection around on the photograph until you have it just right.
- Inverse the selection.
- Delete the extra background.
- Repeate letter selection, placement, inverse and delete for each letter/photo.
- Use the move tool to line up the finished photo letters.

Hope that helps, it's always easier to explain and show as you do it, but hopefully this gets you started in the right direction.

khm
06-13-2012, 12:50 PM
I didn't look long, but here's a DAD template.

http://www.mcpactions.com/blog/2008/05/31/free-10x20-dad-template-perfect-for-fathers-day-gifts/

I'm sure there's a DADDY out there somewhere!

twowhat?
06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
- Set up a new file that has six layers. One for each photo you want to use and one type layer. Create the layer of text saying DADDY with the font, size and spacing that you like.
- Rasterize that type layer, I think the option is under the 'Layer' menu (I use the full photoshop so am not quite sure where some things might be in Elements). Rasterizing changes the type from a font layer to pixels like a photograph.
- Using the magic wand select the letters individually, go to the photo layer that you want to use for that letter.
- Inverse the selection.
- Repeate letter selection, placement, inverse and delete for each letter/photo.

Hope that helps, it's always easier to explain and show as you do it, but hopefully this gets you started in the right direction.

:bighand: I really want to get either photoshop or photoshop elements (maybe elements since it's so much cheaper and since it'd have everything I'd need for novice photo editing):) At my old job I had it on my computer and used it to do our xmas cards but new job won't get it for me:) OP, you'll have to share when you're done!

♥ms.pacman♥
06-13-2012, 03:20 PM
- Inverse the selection.

:thanks: wow, thank you so much! this sounds great!!

and khm, thanks for that link, that is pretty cool too!! i will have to try that one as well...maybe i'll make one for my own Dad who was just visiting..i actually just got a few pics of him with the kids so the 3 letters is perfect.

thank you!!! this board rocks!!!

♥ms.pacman♥
06-15-2012, 03:29 PM
bumping for update/pic!

twowhat?
06-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Wow, so awesome! I love it!!! I really want photoshop elements now...

TwoBees
06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
That looks AWESOME!

mackmama
06-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Love it!!!

niccig
06-15-2012, 03:44 PM
That's looks great. He'll love it.

♥ms.pacman♥
06-15-2012, 04:45 PM
thanks everyone!! Yeah photoshop elements is great, there is SO much you can do, and the price is not bad either, compared to the full Photoshop.

For anybody interested, the font i used was Gil Sans Ultra Bold or something like that..it was hard to find a "chubby" font that would work well for pictures.

AnnieW625
06-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Wow, that is really cool. I will have to try that, but I think we'll do it for DH's birthday since I probably don't have time to do it by Sunday.

elektra
06-15-2012, 05:30 PM
That looks great! I would love getting a gift like that!

KpbS
06-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Fantastic job!!! I love the final product and I'm sure your DH will too!

MontrealMum
06-16-2012, 05:08 PM
That is really cool! I'd marked this thread earlier because it sounded like such a great idea and I'm so happy to come back to read your update. Very impressive! I have the full photoshop so maybe I'll try this next year.

KrisM
06-16-2012, 10:11 PM
You did a great job. I love this idea and stole it :). the kids and I are on vacation so I took a bunch of pictures and made a dad picture for tomorrow. I know DH will take it to work and prefer not to be on the photos, so it worked.

citymama
06-17-2012, 03:40 AM
This is awesome! Is there any way to do something like this *without* photoshop? (I guess I could have the kids pose with the letters but you know what I mean...)

♥ms.pacman♥
06-17-2012, 09:05 AM
thanks everyone! krisM- that sounds cool!

citymama - hmm, i guess you could do it w/o photoshop, but i guess it would take longer..you'd have to find someway of cropping the letters manually. am not too familiar with other editing software, so maybe there is an easier way. i think the nice thing about photoshop (and photoshop elements) is the use of layers, which makes it a lot quicker to do things like this and other effects/edits