PDA

View Full Version : Updated! :) Hanging hardware for heavy items on drywall?

twowhat?
06-13-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm using monkey hooks for EVERYTHING from now on!!! They are so easy to use, no tools, easy to get right exactly where you want it, and easy to yank out with pliers (as I did - twice - because I didn't get the height exactly right). And I did it in MINUTES (break from work!) I'm so excited to finally have a mirror that works as full-length - this one is perfect if I stand a few feet back. :yay: Thank you!!

-----------------------
OK I need opinions - what is the best hanging hardware to hang this mirror:

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/audrey-mirror/mirrors/large-mirrors/12801?listIndex=3

It has 2 triangle D-ring type hooks on the back, and I want hardware that will work in drywall that will hold the mirror as close to the wall as possible. The mirror weighs 20 pounds.

TIA!!

I'm so excited to finally put in a full-length mirror in the bathroom!!!

Snow mom
06-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Most any drywall anchor will hold that. 20 lbs really isn't that heavy as far as hanging goes. If you go to home depot or somewhere like that each type of drywall anchor has a weight rating (and I'm fairly confident all of them are above 20 lbs.) I can't quite envision what you are saying about the back but if it's truly being held up by two anchors then each only needs to support 10 lbs. Usually anchors have screws that go into them so you should be able to get it as close as the d-rings will allow.

Indianamom2
06-13-2012, 10:15 PM
We used something that I thought was pretty creative to hang our bathroom mirror (and then later to hang another mirror): They're called Monkey Hooks and they are SUPER easy to use...plus pretty inexpensive:
http://www.monkeyhook.com/

Our bathroom mirror was more than 20 lbs. and it's still hanging there, not attached to any studs. Way easier than trying to find a stud or mess with anchors, IMHO.

You can buy them at Lowe's, Home Depot, even Walmart, I believe.

twowhat?
06-13-2012, 10:19 PM
We used something that I thought was pretty creative to hang our bathroom mirror (and then later to hang another mirror): They're called Monkey Hooks and they are SUPER easy to use...plus pretty inexpensive:
http://www.monkeyhook.com/

Our bathroom mirror was more than 20 lbs. and it's still hanging there, not attached to any studs. Way easier than trying to find a stud or mess with anchors, IMHO.

You can buy them at Lowe's, Home Depot, even Walmart, I believe.

This is perfect! That's what I was looking for. I didn't want to mess with anchors either - they create such big holes and are more work to put in. Thank you!

Indianamom2
06-13-2012, 10:20 PM
This is perfect! That's what I was looking for. I didn't want to mess with anchors either - they create such big holes and are more work to put in. Thank you!

Glad to help...no tools needed and they only make a nail-size hole in the wall. Pretty perfect.

codex57
06-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Just get something like this (available anywhere, like Target, Home Depot, etc):

http://target.scene7.com/s7viewers/dhtml/images/spacer.gifhttp://target.scene7.com/s7viewers/dhtml/images/spacer.gif
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/36/3632f980-b20a-451e-9a19-f05a7f324e6a_300.jpg

Edit: I know it's late, but hopefully it shows up this time. I like em cuz they're small, cheap, and available everywhere (and in different colors)

twowhat?
06-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Bumping for update with pic :)

american_mama
06-15-2012, 01:41 PM
I bought something like Monkey Hook from Bed Bath and Beyond (Hercules Hook) and they wouldn't even make it into my wall. We have a 1964 ranch and the hook just wouldn't pierce more than a quarter of the way into the wall. It was like the drywall had something very solid close behidn that the hook couldn't pierce. I returened them. Anyone know what went wrong?

daniele_ut
06-15-2012, 02:01 PM
I bought something like Monkey Hook from Bed Bath and Beyond (Hercules Hook) and they wouldn't even make it into my wall. We have a 1964 ranch and the hook just wouldn't pierce more than a quarter of the way into the wall. It was like the drywall had something very solid close behidn that the hook couldn't pierce. I returened them. Anyone know what went wrong?

You probably hit a stud.

american_mama
06-15-2012, 02:21 PM
You probably hit a stud.

Gosh, I hope I wasn't that daft and looked into that possibility. I think I tried it in other walls and other spots. I might have checked out the stud possiblity with our stud finder, not that it's 100% reliable. But maybe I had tunnel vision and didn't consider the possibility.

twowhat?
06-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Gosh, I hope I wasn't that daft and looked into that possibility. I think I tried it in other walls and other spots. I might have checked out the stud possiblity with our stud finder, not that it's 100% reliable. But maybe I had tunnel vision and didn't consider the possibility.

It's possible the house had wood paneling and someone drywalled or plastered over it at one point.

Indianamom2
06-15-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm so glad they worked for you. I LOVE them!

On a side note, do you know what color paint is on the walls? It looks really nice!

twowhat?
06-15-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm so glad they worked for you. I LOVE them!

On a side note, do you know what color paint is on the walls? It looks really nice!

I just checked all the paint cans in the garage but no luck - they all look like custom mixed colors (Sherwin Williams)! If you're interested I can send you what the mix is hahaha. I do like the color. It's warm but light and airy and it's a neutral with just a touch of sunny yellow, but not enough to call it yellow.

cntrymoon2
06-15-2012, 04:16 PM
I just checked all the paint cans in the garage but no luck - they all look like custom mixed colors (Sherwin Williams)! If you're interested I can send you what the mix is hahaha. I do like the color. It's warm but light and airy and it's a neutral with just a touch of sunny yellow, but not enough to call it yellow.

That color looks very close to Antique White by Sherwin Williams. I have it in several rooms- it's pale, creamy yellow in some lights and light beige in some lights.

Also- my cans list the all the numbers and colors in the mix and then the name of the color in really tiny print- it's easy to miss. It might be a standard color and the mixes you saw are the "ingredients".

BTW the mirror looks great!!

twowhat?
06-15-2012, 04:24 PM
That color looks very close to Antique White by Sherwin Williams. I have it in several rooms- it's pale, creamy yellow in some lights and light beige in some lights.

Also- my cans list the all the numbers and colors in the mix and then the name of the color in really tiny print- it's easy to miss. It might be a standard color and the mixes you saw are the "ingredients".

BTW the mirror looks great!!

It says "Custom Manual Match" and then "Valspar Dark Cream" - I can't find a SW "Valspar Dark Cream" anywhere! So I assumed it was a custom color...

cntrymoon2
06-15-2012, 11:46 PM
It says "Custom Manual Match" and then "Valspar Dark Cream" - I can't find a SW "Valspar Dark Cream" anywhere! So I assumed it was a custom color...

Yep, I think you're right! It sounds like it's a Sherwin match to a Valspar color.

twowhat?
06-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Yep, I think you're right! It sounds like it's a Sherwin match to a Valspar color.

Ohhhhhhh....I get it now...Valspar is a paint brand. LOL!!!