PDA

View Full Version : Quick advice: 2 12 year old home alone....

sweetsue98
06-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Dss and a friend home alone from 11-5:30 pm? Would you feel comfortable?

buddyleebaby
06-13-2012, 09:45 PM
At age 12? I would be fine with it provided you know they are both trustworthy.
I was baby-sitting at age 12.

jjjo1112
06-13-2012, 09:46 PM
It would depend on the kids It also would depend on if I would be easily reachable and close to home. If that was the case and the kids were level-headed and age appropriate, then yes.

ahisma
06-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Agreed. If the kids are trustworthy I'd be fine with it.

Neighbors nearby and available?
Can you check in my phone?
Will they stay home, or leave the house?
Do the friend's parents know that they'll be alone?

sweetsue98
06-13-2012, 10:02 PM
If it was dss by himself then I would be fine. Not sure if I want to be responsible for someone else's child without my supervision.

Ps. This child ran across 4 lanes of 40 mph traffic a few weeks WITHOUT looking for on coming traffic. I just happen to be driving by and slowed down thank goodness because I could have ran him over.

sweetsue98
06-13-2012, 10:03 PM
At age 12? I would be fine with it provided you know they are both trustworthy.
I was baby-sitting at age 12.

Me too! I think girls are different though.

sariana
06-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Depends on where you live (the conditions PPs have mentioned, for example, regarding neighbors and such).

Also, is it legal in your state? I seem to remember a post on this board a while ago about some states with a minimum age of 14.

crl
06-13-2012, 10:24 PM
If it was dss by himself then I would be fine. Not sure if I want to be responsible for someone else's child without my supervision.

Ps. This child ran across 4 lanes of 40 mph traffic a few weeks WITHOUT looking for on coming traffic. I just happen to be driving by and slowed down thank goodness because I could have ran him over.

I wouldn't do it. I let (nearly nine year old) ds stay inside while dd and I play outside at neighbors' houses, but I refuse to allow any other children in the house unless an adult is present.

Catherine

TwinFoxes
06-13-2012, 10:37 PM
Depends on where you live (the conditions PPs have mentioned, for example, regarding neighbors and such).

Also, is it legal in your state? I seem to remember a post on this board a while ago about some states with a minimum age of 14.

14!!! Wow, that seems extreme. I'm sure there are some fourteen year olds that shouldn't be left alone, but across the board that just seems really old.

sweetsue98
06-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Dh and I just agreed that he should have said no....now what dss already told him to come over. Ugh!

kijip
06-13-2012, 10:52 PM
I was babysitting as many as 3 kids at that age, sometimes all day (summertime). Usually though I was walking distance from my house and 1 of my parents was pretty much always home.

That said, that is a long time and two 12 year olds sometimes have a reckless synergy- each kid agreeing to do crazy stuff they would never do on their own they were by themselves, KWIM? I would think twice about having a 12yo guest who was unsupervised. I guess it would depend on what they were doing and how close help is and if you can stay in contact/check in. Also, what do the other parents think?

kijip
06-13-2012, 10:53 PM
14!!! Wow, that seems extreme. I'm sure there are some fourteen year olds that shouldn't be left alone, but across the board that just seems really old.

It is only Illinois. Most states have no laws and the states with laws tend to be in the 8-10 range.

shishamo
06-13-2012, 11:08 PM
I have a 12 year old DS and I would not leave him and his friend alone for that long. But that's probably just me.

I would leave him by himself alone for that amount of time.

american_mama
06-13-2012, 11:29 PM
I have a 10 year old that I leave alone, and just today I sent her alone to buy a trash sticker at our small city hall for me while I was across the street on a pedestrian mall at a chidlren's museum. But I'm not sure I would leave TWO 12 year old's alone for so many hours. I think they could brew up a lot of trouble due to being together and/or alone for that amount of time. I'm not even sure I would leave one 12 year old alone for that period of time, just because I think they might get bored/unhappy/into trouble/insecure.

But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't. It's a very subjective decision and really depends on things that can't be known by strangers.

Pyrodjm
06-13-2012, 11:49 PM
I was in charge of my 9 year old brother and my 5 year old sister the summer I turned twelve. We had relatives as neighbors and a strict no visitor rule, but I was in charge while my parents worked all day.

I would not allow my 12 old to be alone with a 12 year old friend in my house though.

pinkmomagain
06-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Haven't read through the thread, but that would be a big no for me. That's a long time. DD2 just turned 13 and I'd let her stay home alone for a couple of hours tops. Also, 2 kids is almost worse than one, as I think they are more likely to get into some kind of trouble together.

essnce629
06-14-2012, 02:20 AM
I have two boys, and from what I see with them now, NO I would not let two 12 year old BOYS be alone in the house for that long.

Girls are completely different. I see tween/teen boys doing crazy stuff all the time that would have never even crossed my mind as a girl at that age. DS1 is already starting to do crazy things (like jumping off the roof of our storage shed in front of 2 year old DS2 for instance) and it usually just escalates when he's with his friends.

niccig
06-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Dh and I just agreed that he should have said no....now what dss already told him to come over. Ugh!

Call and say it's not going to work for you as you don't want the 2 boys left unsupervised. So sorry. Maybe another time.

If at 12 he's running across a road w/o looking seems to me to be asking for trouble if they're left alone.

BabyBearsMom
06-14-2012, 07:00 AM
If he is a responsible kid, no problem. My parents would leave me home alone at that age for a full day