PDA

View Full Version : Major downsizing advice/experience?

nfowife
06-13-2012, 10:41 PM
A year from now, we will be moving from our 3500 SF house to a MUCH smaller home. Not sure where yet, but it will likely be in the neighborhood of 1500 sf. Instead of each kid having their own room, the older 2 will be sharing. We need to purge A LOT of stuff not only for the move but for putting our current house on the market in about 8-9 months.
Anyone have strategies to do this? I find it pretty hard to determine what is worth keeping. For example, I have most of DD1's clothes from 3T up stored in tubs in our attic for DD2. I periodically have gone through them and gotten rid of the worst condition stuff but otherwise I hate to get rid of stuff I know can be used. However DD1 is almost 6 years older than DD2 so that means I'm holding onto this crap for a long time (and not just clothes, shoes, dancewear and dance shoes, some nicer toys, etc).
I would love to hear strategies for purging and organizing.
Also I am going to need to downsize my household goods too. I have so many things we don't even use- like nice kitchen stuff. China (Would like to get rid of this), glassware, glass bowls, crystal pieces....basically wedding presents that are mostly still boxed and were never used. I have been married almost 12 years and have moved like 6 times and keep dragging this stuff everywhere. I'm ready to let most of it go but who is going to want it? I hate to just donate brand new beautiful stuff. Ugh!

niccig
06-14-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm ready to let most of it go but who is going to want it? I hate to just donate brand new beautiful stuff. Ugh!

If you have something that isn't used or appreciated, then give it to someone that will use it and appreciate it. You only have so much space and if something is taking up valuable real estate, but isn't used it's crowding out something that is of value to you. Pass it on to someone who will use it.

My Dad can't get rid of stuff and on visit kept trying to have me keep a scuba diving bag with a broken wheel and zipper. I called our friend who runs a scuba diving store and he said he could used it for storage. Done. I get more space and someone who needs it gets the item.