PDA

View Full Version : Does a higher price equal the perfect mattress?

BabyMine
06-14-2012, 09:52 AM
I am looking at mattress and hope to buy a new one within the year. I came across Hastens and their prices. Are the beds that wonderful that the $50,000 price tag is worth it? I can't imagine spending that much on a mattress but I am wondering if anyone here has and what they thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/12/garden/12mattresses.html?pagewanted=all

If anyone has the select comfort adjustable beds with heat, what are the pros and cons?

I have arthritis, problems with my back that causes chronic pain. Any mattress recommendations would be appreciated.

AnnieW625
06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Another interesting article about the wealthy 5% of upper incomes. The way it was written I thought it was present day, interesting that the article is almost 5 yrs. old. Wonder if those stores are still in business due to the economy and such.

My in laws have a Select Comfort Sleep Number bed and like it a lot.

We have an 11/1/2 yr. old Spring Air that will need to replaced soon. I honestly am having a hard time stomaching mattress prices. I think DH paid $600 for this one after haggling a bit with the sales guy and the mattress had an MSRP of $1200 and was on sale for $800. Besides the mattress being a bit too cushy for my tastes (DH loves a cushy mattress) the mattress is just fine. We rotate it every couple of months and most months even when pregnant I slept fine on it. When I started researching mattresses here a couple of months ago I was absolutely shocked at what some people here had posted what their mattresses were and with a little research (:bag) found out that the ones who bought the super eco friendly mattresses paid well over $2000, and some closer to $5,000 for them. Yes I get that you spend up to 8 hrs. a night sleeping, but I just don't think even the worst BBB guilt could guilt me into spending over $2000 on a mattress; even spending $1000-$1500 on a mattress seems high (:bag x infinity).

With all of that said if we haven't bought a new mattress by the time we go and visit the ILs in August I think might try out their Sleep Number bed just to see how it works.

We will most likely also check out the local mattress store that makes their own mattresses (where we bought DD1's mattress), and another store that keeps Tempurpedic, but honestly who knows what we will end up with.

hillview
06-14-2012, 12:22 PM
we have a temperpedic foam and paid $ for it about 7 (?) years ago and it was SO worth it. I had a bad back and it was amazing. I sleep a lot better on it than in hotels or other mattresses.

BabyMine
06-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Bump. Anyone else have experience?

hillview
06-15-2012, 07:12 PM
well I will add that we got my parents a temperpedic for Christmas and my dad said it changed their life. They are sleeping a ton better. Sorry I am an advertisement for temperpedic!

AnnieW625
06-15-2012, 07:16 PM
it is stories like your parents that make me want to get one as well. I have heard that from friends IRL as well.

hillview
06-15-2012, 07:33 PM
it is stories like your parents that make me want to get one as well. I have heard that from friends IRL as well.

This may sound odd but if you have a friend who would let you sleep on theirs maybe give that a go. They are expensive ($2500 is what we paid for my parents) BUT they had slept on ours for a week when we were away and they were watching the kids and LOVED it. Also my mom has restless leg syndrome and had general sleep issues. Even my dad loves it. For them it was worth it since we KNEW it would be something they'd love.

brgnmom
06-15-2012, 07:44 PM
we recently splurged on a tempurpedic bed and love it. I feel more well-rested in the mornings, and the price of the mattress is worth it. iirc there's a 20 yr warranty.

smiles33
06-15-2012, 08:21 PM
This may sound odd but if you have a friend who would let you sleep on theirs maybe give that a go. They are expensive ($2500 is what we paid for my parents) BUT they had slept on ours for a week when we were away and they were watching the kids and LOVED it. Also my mom has restless leg syndrome and had general sleep issues. Even my dad loves it. For them it was worth it since we KNEW it would be something they'd love.

I agree. I heard so much about Tempurpedic but we slept on my brother's when he was out of town and let us stay at his place in the City. We both hated it: we both woke up several times because of the heat and were achy in the morning. I don't know how to explain it, but the mattress' delayed reaction when trying to turn over kept waking me up. It's rock hard until it softens due to your body heat.

Thankfully, several BBBers raved about their latex beds and we LOVE ours. I bought it from an online retailer, sleepez.com. We went to several stores to figure out exactly what firmness we like and almost bought local but Shaun was able to beat it by several hundred (almost $1000 cheaper) and much better guarantee (full return for only the $99 shipping fee). Total cost was about $2000. It's a lot for a bed, I know. But our previous coil mattress set cost $1000 and barely lasted 10 years (plus has lumps).

Good luck!

jjordan
06-15-2012, 10:01 PM
We paid about $500 for our first (queen) mattress and box spring about 13 years ago, and it just recently got to the point of needing to be replaced. We replaced it last month with another $400-$500 mattress and it is great so far. I guess time will tell... DH and I were gone this past week and so my mom slept on it (she was staying with the kids), and she LOVES our mattress, FWIW.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm in the camp that is not willing to spend a lot on a mattress. :)

kellij
06-16-2012, 12:51 AM
We got the tempur-pedic cloud last Friday (It's 600 off right now) and we LOVE it. It's super comfy!

LexyLou
06-16-2012, 01:06 AM
well I will add that we got my parents a temperpedic for Christmas and my dad said it changed their life. They are sleeping a ton better. Sorry I am an advertisement for temperpedic!

We're looking at Tempurpedics but I've heard they run really hot and I'm a hot sleeper to begin with..like, i need windows open and ceiling fan even in the winter. Are there ways to make it less hot?

Can you use a regular box spring with it?

WatchingThemGrow
06-16-2012, 06:03 AM
We got a $2000+ mattress and have had it replaced through a warranty issue. It created these body ditches you couldn't roll out of. Same thing with the one my ILs had. We both had them replaced, and have decided to toss them out (only a few years old) and get something else. We're get a Serta/Sealy from Sam's next. That has historically been our favorite mattress - the Euro top they sell.

BabyMine
06-16-2012, 05:56 PM
I get hot when I sleep, even though the air is set at 67, so I don't think the Tempurpedic is an option.

We purchased our current mattress in 2004. It is a Sterns and Foster Silver Dream. I know we have a 10 year warranty on it but I can't find any of the warranty information. It started sagging a couple years ago and it's making my back pain worse.

I just keep seeing the beds that are adjustable and heated but I am wondering if they are comfy.

SnuggleBuggles
06-16-2012, 06:09 PM
I just don't think the Tempurpedic is hot. I'm not sure why that is such a prevalent complaint. Love my Tempurpedic.

hillview
06-16-2012, 09:01 PM
I just don't think the Tempurpedic is hot. I'm not sure why that is such a prevalent complaint. Love my Tempurpedic.

:yeahthat:

DH runs very hot and loves it!

AngelaS
06-16-2012, 09:36 PM
I have a select comfort and we love it! Dh and I could never agree on how firm a mattress should be and now we don't have to. :)

Cam&Clay
06-16-2012, 10:45 PM
We just dropped 5K on a deluxe king Tempure-pedic. It had better be good! It gets delivered in 2 weeks!

smiles33
06-17-2012, 12:06 AM

I think the Tempurpedic foam traps heat compared to standard coil mattresses and latex mattresses. I would only get slightly warm in my old coil spring mattress but woke up several times sweaty in the Tempurpedic and the air temp was probably about 68. I know I run really hot, though. I've been warm on my current latex bed but I also bought bamboo sheets which seem to stay cool longer than my cotton sheets.