PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone's DC NOT like magnatiles?

Jai
06-14-2012, 11:19 AM
I havent found a place where DS could play with some before I buy. Before I make the investmenst, I just want to know if anyone's DC didnt really play with their magnatiles. TIA.

pastrygirl
06-14-2012, 11:42 AM
YES. I thought my son would love them, but he could take them or leave them. They've been used maybe three times since he got them for Christmas.

ExcitedMamma
06-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Great question! I've been wondering about them too since they get so much love here. Can I ask if anyone knows if they have fixed the inventory issue so the price will be coming down? It would be a lot easier to take a chance on them if the price were lower.

ourbabygirl
06-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Nope, my kids (and DH and I) both love them! I got them a couple years ago (can't remember where), and now that my kids are 1.5 & 3.5, we play with them at least once or twice a day. It's great because they're something my younger one can 'play with' and I don't have to worry about him getting hurt, and there are enough pieces (I think we have a 100-piece set) where they don't fight over them. :thumbsup:
We didn't have anywhere to try before buying, either- just heard great things about them here, so I took the plunge, and I'm glad I did!

Jai
06-14-2012, 02:55 PM
YES. I thought my son would love them, but he could take them or leave them. They've been used maybe three times since he got them for Christmas.

Does your son normally enjoy blocks? My DS loves his Duplos & Kid Knex and enjoys stacking his unit blocks. I am really on the fence about this.

swissair81
06-14-2012, 03:49 PM
I find that they occupy a huge age range. My youngest is not yet 2 and my oldest is 9.5- it is one toy that all the kids play with together.

wencit
06-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Both my kids are so-so about them. They'll play with the Magnatiles every once in a while, but I am pretty sure if I sold them, neither one would miss them.

DS1 was never into blocks, but DS2 enjoys them, so I'm not sure why he hasn't gravitated towards the Magnatiles more. :shrug:

pastrygirl
06-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Does your son normally enjoy blocks? My DS loves his Duplos & Kid Knex and enjoys stacking his unit blocks. I am really on the fence about this.Actually, no. This was my last attempt at seeing whether he would like a building toy (he's 6). He requested Legos for his birthday and has minimally played with them the past few days, so maybe he'll start to like the Magnatiles more, especially if I store them with the Legos.

My younger son likes toys of all kinds, blocks included, and hasn't really taken to the Magnatiles.

Jacksmommy2b
06-14-2012, 08:28 PM
We bought them for DS1 and he wasn't interested. He loved lego and playmobil, but the magnatiles didn't do it for him at all.
DS2 is 2.5, found them buried in the toy closet and loves them so much he would literally sleep with them if I let him. He plays with them every single day.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

SnuggleBuggles
06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
They are our favorite toy to travel with because they are small, easy to transport and everyone has fun playing with them.

LearningAsWeGo
06-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Great question! I've been wondering about them too since they get so much love here. Can I ask if anyone knows if they have fixed the inventory issue so the price will be coming down? It would be a lot easier to take a chance on them if the price were lower.

The price on the site is $120 for the 100 piece set, is that the set you are asking about? I used to carry these in my shop and that was/is the MSRP (has been for the past year). The factory flooded late last year, so production stopped for a while, but they seem to be back on track.

The tiles are durable and while my kids don't play with them every day, they do get a fair amount of play - often integrated into other scenes. Right now, they are into wild animals - so the tiles are integrated into habitats. They are also crazy popular with adults and older kids (everyone tries to build the tallest structure).

Jai
06-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Maybe I will start with the smaller 32 piece set to see if he enjoys them. The larger set just seems like a better bargain.

zag95
06-15-2012, 12:33 PM
DD, who was not yet 4, got them for Christmas. She plays with them every day and sometimes multiple times! She constructs castles and pens for her my little ponies, dolls and other creatures!

I would probably spring for the larger set- and then resell if your DC did not like them- esp as the holiday season nears.

Neatfreak
06-15-2012, 12:45 PM
I also like the idea of buying the 100 pc set and just re-selling - my older DC became more interested when we had more pieces b/c she could build bigger things out of them. My DD2 is about ten months old than your child, and she likes building cubes, pyramids, and "doghouses" out of them.

The Magnatiles are a favourite; the kids don't play with them every day, but a few times a week, for sure. The only other building toy we own are the toddler-oriented MegaBloks, so it's not like the Magnatiles have a lot of competition!

blisstwins
06-18-2012, 08:38 AM
My children did not like building, but they did like magnatiles a lot. They are 7.5 now and though they are not played with as often, my daughter built a very high tower yesterday--needed a stepstool for it. We love them.