PDA

View Full Version : Need quick help re: inhaler use in asthmatic DC

randomkid
06-14-2012, 09:09 PM
DD was just diagnosed with asthma last month, so all this inhaler use is new to me (for her, I have asthma and know what to do for me). She has been on a maintenance inhaler for apprx a month now with really good results - no coughing, no illnesses, etc. We have not had to use the Ventolin inhaler until today. She had mild coughing this am, so I had her take one puff of the Ventolin. This evening, she was coughing more and not feeling well, so I had her take 2. She is now feeling better so I am hoping she's not sick and it's just one of those days. It's been raining all afternoon and sometimes that will set off coughing and chest tightness for me, so I am hoping that is the case with her.

Anyhow, my question is - do I still have her use the maintenance inhaler before bed (which is now) since she just used the rescue inhaler about 90 minutes ago?

hillview
06-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Assume the nightly medicine is a different medicine? if so then for sure yes as I believe they do different things. DS1 had asthma last year so I am not the expert that others on the board are.

ett
06-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Yes, you should still give her the maintenance inhaler. It is very important to keep up with the maintenance meds when her asthma is acting up.

Kindra178
06-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Yes, you should still give her the maintenance inhaler. It is very important to keep up with the maintenance meds when her asthma is acting up.

Exactly this. Indeed, we increase the maintenance meds during illness (am and pm).